The Russia-Ukraine War has begun

Stora

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
332
SL Rez
2002
German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand

One of Germany's biggest energy firms has said it is preparing to buy Russian gas using a payment system that critics say will undermine EU sanctions.
Uniper says it will pay in euros which will be converted into roubles, meeting a Kremlin demand for all transactions to be made in the Russian currency.
Other European energy firms are reportedly preparing to do the same amid concerns about supply cuts.



German energy giant Uniper gives in to Russian rouble demand
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,938
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
But what if it was 14 tanks? Or 1488 tanks?
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Even if they only deliver 87, they will still be on the Mark*.

(8+7=15 ... 1+5=6 ... 6 is The Bad Number!*)


*Not really in a-religious numerology, but I don't really care.
 
Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
In a sign of how desperate pro-Russia authorities are to bolster the ranks of fighters, in late March they announced that the upper age limit of the draft had been raised from 55 to 65 in Donetsk, local media reported. And on Saturday authorities announced a mobilisation in the region of Kherson, which was largely captured by Russia after the war began.

Evernote link
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,891
SL Rez
2007
Hey! It worked with the Japanese-Americ ...

Oh, yeah :(

I don't mind the Oligarchs getting screwed, but the precedent scares the sh*t out of me.
Agreed... Anyone able to weigh in on the exact language of the bill? I'm not sure if I agree with AOC on this one or not, but her rational isn't crazy.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Agreed... Anyone able to weigh in on the exact language of the bill? I'm not sure if I agree with AOC on this one or not, but her rational isn't crazy.
Here is my theory - anything done sets precedents - so, if this got passed, it could possibly lead to a slippery slope. But, if gaetz or greene were to vote that the earth is round, I'd become a flat earther on principle
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Has she explained her apparent change of mind since writing this?

I'm not in agreement with her, but what apparent change?

She says she supports "targeted sanctions." I'm not sure how that translates to seizure of private property.
 

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
432
Location
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
15989
Russia's tanks in Ukraine have a 'jack-in-the-box' design flaw. And the West has known about it since the Gulf war

Hundreds of Russian tanks are thought to have been destroyed since Moscow launched its offensive, with British Defense Secretary Ben Wallace on Monday estimating it had lost as many as 580.

But Moscow's problems go beyond the sheer number of tanks it has lost. Experts say battlefield images show Russian tanks are suffering from a defect that Western militaries have known about for decades and refer to as the "jack-in-the-box effect." Moscow, they say, should have seen the problem coming.

The problem relates to how the tanks' ammunition is stored. Unlike modern Western tanks, Russian ones carry multiple shells within their turrets. This makes them highly vulnerable as even an indirect hit can start a chain reaction that explodes their entire ammunition store of up to 40 shells.

The resulting shockwave can be enough to blast the tank's turret as high as a two-story building, as can be seen in a recent video on social media.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I'm not in agreement with her, but what apparent change?

She says she supports "targeted sanctions." I'm not sure how that translates to seizure of private property.
I guess. It's just that in the UK and EU everyone understood going after individual oligarchs' wealth to be very much part of "targeted sanctions" against Russia, since the only way you get to be a Russian oligarch with wealth to stash abroad is by being close to Putin, so it hadn't really occurred to me that anyone was seriously in favour of sanctions against Russia provided those didn't affect oligarchs.

I guess American billionaires can rest that bit easier knowing that even AOC and the crew don't want to expropriate their property.