Nov 2007
SLU Posts

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
The mesh heads don't respond to all the sliders, so it wasn't possible to start from a LAQ head with a pointy chin (they all have pointy chins, as far as I can tell) and end up with something that looks okay on a fat avatar. So I bought a Catwa head. That still doesn't respond to all the sliders, but I was able to get what I wanted.

Then I had to buy a skin I could apply to the Belleza body and the Catwa head. I bought an Omega compatible skin from LAQ with the same range of skin tones as the one I was using for the body already, and I bought an Omega relay for the Catwa head, so I ended up with a Belleza body, a Catwa head and a LAQ skin.

Yesterday the only article of clothing I could find that I liked was a dress. Today in a chat at Ahern someone recommended Blueberry for jeans and t-shirt, and I found those things and a few others. But now my shoes don't fit with the jeans, so I need shoes.

But I'm making progress.

SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-08-2007
SLU Posts
Check out Neve/Cold Logic for a large collection of good quality casual clothes as well -- and there's Goji next door who does adorable outfits, although with less fitting options iirc.

Shoes? Oh my. OHHHH MY. Ingenue, Lassitude & Ennui, and... blast, my mAlt found a good store recently but I can't remember the name. I'll have to have a look at his feet next time I log in.

Also, if you need hair, my new favourite store (along with Dura) is No.Match.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
KC Couture is really good for shoes. They come with a colour HUD so you only ever need to buy one pair. They're reasonably priced and there are sales all the time plus group gifts, two lucky boards, and a gift card MM.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
The mesh heads don't respond to all the sliders, so it wasn't possible to start from a LAQ head with a pointy chin (they all have pointy chins, as far as I can tell) and end up with something that looks okay on a fat avatar.
There are only a couple of sliders that don't work. IIRC it's chin cleft and jowls, and maybe one more. Even so, the heads do respond to the pointy jaw slider, but LAQ heads do tend to have really pointy chins and you just go from razor sharp to pretty pointy with many of those heads.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Feet / Shoe questions:

Why are mesh feet so small, and why can't they be resized?

Are no-mod standard avatar shoes supposed to not be positionable?

Last edited:
Joined SLU
July 2007
SLU Posts
There are only a couple of sliders that don't work. IIRC it's chin cleft and jowls, and maybe one more. Even so, the heads do respond to the pointy jaw slider, but LAQ heads do tend to have really pointy chins and you just go from razor sharp to pretty pointy with many of those heads.
My LeLutka one won't let me pop one eye. I was so sad. :cry:

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
Has anyone seen Ruth 2.0, the open source avatar? You can apparently get the mesh and skin. It's mapped using system UV.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
A problem I'm having is that I sometimes rez without something I was previously wearing. I just signed in, arriving in Ahern without pants :)

• 2LOL
Reactions: Archer and Jupiter

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
Has anyone seen Ruth 2.0, the open source avatar? You can apparently get the mesh and skin. It's mapped using system UV.
Oh, where's that? In the Library? I was thinking of going as Ruth for Halloween.

Moondust

not as creative as I thought
SL Rez
Joined SLU
3/4/15
It's a resident's project. You can get blender files, UV maps, etc. I don't think the objective is to make it look like the original Ruth.

Second Life Maps | UUtopia Alcott
Interesting! I use it on open sim but didn't know it was available in SL also. I might have to check it out (if it doesn't need too much fiddling with things) just out of curiosity.

Anya Ristow

I was born a choker
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2007
SLU Posts
I still haven't figured out how to put anything on the three onion layers. I don't know how to use the layers, articles and clothing tabs of the Belleza universal HUD. I've bought dozens of pieces of clothing and none of them make use of those layers or call for the use of an applier or mention omega. I'm assuming those would look like this?

Steelhead Omega Leggings Applier

I'm assuming one that would apply something that would show up in the Belleza HUD would be called a Belleza applier, as opposed to an alpha applier? I'm assuming that once I've applied it to the Belleza body, I can then manage it in the Belleza HUD? I'm assuming that the UV maps for the Belleza body are available, and that I could script an applier if I made my own textures, or is that only possible with omega and the system avatar UVs?

I've got some shirts that don't work well with some pants I like. I'd like to apply a t-shirt, and wear a short jacket, leaving the t-shirt partially visible between pants and jacket, as opposed to bare skin. I'd also like to try non-mesh leggings with those shirts that don't work well with mesh pants. And I'd like to wear underwear.

ETA Here's one that I think applies to Belleza. Not sure if it uses omega or a Belleza UV.

Myra Capri Leggings with Appliers SLink Belleza Maitreya TMP & Omega

Looking for something that fits like this, but looks like fabric:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ABV-Athena-TealWine/14457866

ETA2 I found the Belleza clothing layer developer kit, which has UV maps and info for making an applier (I think). To become of developer for mesh clothing, you have to be approved as a developer, and since I have no current commercial presence, I'm not likely to be accepted.

Last edited:

Nika Talaj

What? Maybe.
See, here's your problem: you know too much :giggle:

For the moment, forget about UV maps. Let's just talk about appliers. They are their own HUD, they don't show up in the body HUD per se. I recommend you pick up a few free ones. For example, MMC has some applied bodysuits etc. as free group gifts. They're also available on the marketplace for $L10 each. When you click on the applier HUD, it will somehow present you with a choice of which of the 3 layers (generally referred to as tattoo, underwear and clothes) you want to apply to. Note that some items, for example a catsuit, will require you to apply to both the torso and lower body, so you would (for example) click twice to apply it, once for the upper body clothing layer, once for the lower body clothing layer.

Oddly, you cannot remove applied clothing via the HUD you used to apply it; you use the body HUD. So AFTER you've applied something, open up your body HUD (I'm not familiar with Belleza's) and find the tab for the onion layers. You should now see some indication reflecting what you just applied. You should be able to REMOVE it by either just clicking on the layer or a related button. Hands and feet can be funky to remove even if they were applied as part of the garment, so they sometimes have their own buttons in addition to the lower body or torso button. You may also see a way to turn alpha masking on or off for a layer; sometimes it is necessary to turn masking on for a lacy texture or something.

It looks like those Myra leggings come with BOTH a Belleza applier and an Omega one. You don't need the Omega applier if an item comes with a Belleza one, and nearly all applied clothing will have a Belleza applier.

If you have your own clothing textures, rather than messing with the Belleza kit, it is easier to set them up as Omega appliers. You'll need this:
https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Omega-System-Kit-Belleza/6412085

I think that package will contain both the Belleza Omega relay HUD that you need to wear whenever you're using an Omega applier, AND instructions for how to build your own Belleza Omega huds. All you need is the UUIDs of the clothing textures you want to use, and usually any old regular SL clothing textures will work fine, no need to mess with maps.

If you want to make your own skins, makeups, etc. you may need to mess with maps. You can probably get away with using the SL UV maps to get started, most bodies are derived from them.

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
If you are using Omega appliers for the body, you may need to wear an Omega relay (another HUD that acts as a listener for commands for the body, as Nika explained above). Some bodies allow Omega to be fully installed, some bodies require you to wear a relay. You purchase these from Love N Lust Designs, the creator of Omega. Many shops also have an affiliate that sells the required relay in their own store. Check if Belleza needs a relay, because if it does need an Omega relay, it won't work if you are not wearing the relay.

Some appliers will have all the different applier systems built into one HUD instead of having six different HUDs in the box. You would thus click on the Belleza button for the Belleza-specific applier. The specific item you linked to has only one item that you must add to your avatar for unboxing. When you unbox it you will see if you are dealing with a multi-HUD or not.

• 2Like
Reactions: GradyE and Anya Ristow

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion Again!
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
Why are mesh feet so small, and why can't they be resized?
I believe mesh feet are so small (and not resizeable) partly for technical reasons, partly because of tradition. To the best of my knowledge foot size, even with Bento, can't be changed. I have no idea why. There's also a lot of legacy shoe/foot content from the days when sculpted/mesh feet were among the first replacement body parts. You couldn't resize them then, either. If it was possible, the top of the foot wouldn't match up with the bottom of the leg/ankle. I'm with you though - both feet and shoes should respond to the Foot Size slider.

Even now we still have to deal with separate flat/low/mid/high/pointed feet, despite there being toe bones in the Bento system. Again, I have no idea why they aren't used in new products. It seems to me it'd help cut down some of the avatar complexity issues. Right now you have people walking around with multiple foot models invisible all the time for the convenience of switching foot types without detaching/reattaching things.

Are no-mod standard avatar shoes supposed to not be positionable?
Rigged mesh items (bento or otherwise) can't be repositioned at all. Their position is determined by the creator beforehand - it's part of the rigging that tells SL how to move the mesh item along with the avatar. Unrigged mesh items can be repositioned. Unrigged mesh items can be resized if they're set mod - the rules are the same as regular prim items. Unrigged mesh or regular prims in a linkset with rigged mesh also follow these rules.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So I gave in and bought a mesh body. I picked eBody (Classic) from ABAR, as it seemed one of the better choices for fitmesh, has built-in Omega support and seems to work well with Slink shoes and clothing.

But...is this where we are now in regards to wearables in Second Life? It was bad enough when I spent 30 minutes at least trying to decide on what to wear. Not I have to add another 15-30 minutes to adjust the alphas on my damn body so I'm not sticking out anywhere.

Sure glad we're in the future.

Jupiter

Still under construction
Joined SLU
07-05-2010
SLU Posts
But...is this where we are now in regards to wearables in Second Life? It was bad enough when I spent 30 minutes at least trying to decide on what to wear. Not I have to add another 15-30 minutes to adjust the alphas on my damn body so I'm not sticking out anywhere.
For what it's worth, it gets easier and faster with time, but it is all more complicated than it should be. I have a 'Basic Jupiter' outfit saved to save time. That's my system and mesh bits with all necessary HUDs attached.

• 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: GradyE and Cristalle