cbsallaccess Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - a new series based on the USS Enterprise is planned

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Pre-Kirk. Post-post-post Archer.

CBS All Access is getting another Star Trek series, with this one focusing on three fan-favorite characters: Captain Christopher Pike, Number One, and Science Officer Spock.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will follow the three characters “in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise, as they explore new worlds around the galaxy,” according to an official announcement from the network. Actors Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn, and Ethan Peck, who were introduced into CBS’s Star Trek universe as the revived Pike, Number One, and Spock, respectively, in Star Trek: Discovery’s second season, will reprise their roles. Star Trek: Discovery and Star Trek: Picard writers and producers Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman, and Jenny Lumet are developing the new project.

danielravennest

SLU Posts

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Well I quite enjoyed Arson Mount as Pike, so might be one of the better ideas compared to Star Trek: Picard.

Dancien

Ne'er-do-well
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
First mention of alternate timelines and I'm turning it off. So goddamn over that trope

• 1LOL
Reactions: Jopsy Pendragon

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Man, CBS is trying to milk Star Trek dry harder than Disney is milking Star Wars.
It is pretty much the only good ip cbs all access has. Since lots of people already own the episodes and/or movies they need new stuff.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
First mention of alternate timelines and I'm turning it off. So goddamn over that trope
Do you mean the mirror universe (which are almost always the top episodes) or things like the kelvin timeline? Actually a lot of fans would have been fine with std if it were in another timeline, it was the insistence that not only was it the same timeline as ost but right before it that pushed them away.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
Yay, another prequel series! Soooooooo… I can't even fake it. bah. I'm tired of prequels. Enterprise. Discovery. Strange New Worlds. The Kelvin timeline films are/were a weird mix of prequel/not official timeline, but still in the 'prequel' ballpark for being set pre-ST:TNG/ST:DS9/ST:VOY. Picard goes forward, but follows TNG people.

There are some books I picked up that were supposed to tell 'the rest of the 5 year mission' of TOS. Then others that 'filled in the gaps' between TOS & TNG. I was only able to read one of the fill in the gap books. You either get a story constrained to not violate 'what is known' or you get a story that 'doesn't matter' to the main storyline (like one set in a mirror universe or alternate timeline).

---
On a vaguely related note: Been rewatching DS9 while trapped at home. heh. Sisko sure did seem to alternate between 'super angry' and 'on edge of super angry' all the time, eh? shesh.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Is that what the Enterprise is going to look like on the bridge? I guess later for Kirk they went with a retro look but kept the chairs including the Captain's Chair.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Is that what the Enterprise is going to look like on the bridge? I guess later for Kirk they went with a retro look but kept the chairs including the Captain's Chair.
It's the 23rd century, and they still haven't invented seat belts. Definitely an alternate timeline.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
He also kept the Reed Alert.

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
It is pretty much the only good ip cbs all access has. Since lots of people already own the episodes and/or movies they need new stuff.
This is going to be the real problem with all these companies. They all think they are good enough to run their own streaming service when they have like 1 or 2 IPs. Maybe.

Just earlier I discovered there is a Bad Boys spin off TV series from the movies. Apparently it's on some weird Spectrum TV Streaming service I have never heard of. And it's like $15/month or something crazy high. I guess I'll wait.

Free

10K under the hat
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Before you know it, every IP will have its own streaming service.

Who's up for the Anne of Green Gables Channel?! Oyt!

• 1LOL
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
The Bad Boys movie spin-off TV show called LA's Finest is coming to Fox this Fall. It's the same one on the Spectrum streaming service. It stars Jessica Alba and Gabrielle Union. Season 2 is coming to Spectrum in June. Fox is getting it due to COVID-19 so that they'll have something new in the Fall.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I thought that Discovery was in the same timeline as the original series.
I was making a joke about the lack of seatbelts in starships, but yes, nominally ST Discovery is in the original series timeline. What looked futuristic in 1966 looks dated today, so they modernized the sets. But given Spock and Sarek are present as similar characters, it meshes with the original series.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau

Ghost Pepper

Gaming Guru
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I was making a joke about the lack of seatbelts in starships, but yes, nominally ST Discovery is in the original series timeline. What looked futuristic in 1966 looks dated today, so they modernized the sets. But given Spock and Sarek are present as similar characters, it meshes with the original series.
The original series looked like it did due to wanting to make the series as inexpensive as possible. Season 1 cost $190K an episode which was $1.4 million in 2019. I think what they spent on the show went down each season after the first one. Some shows now, if they are popular, can cost several million an episode. With the lead actor getting a few million.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Soen Eber

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
This is going to be the real problem with all these companies. They all think they are good enough to run their own streaming service when they have like 1 or 2 IPs. Maybe.

Just earlier I discovered there is a Bad Boys spin off TV series from the movies. Apparently it's on some weird Spectrum TV Streaming service I have never heard of. And it's like $15/month or something crazy high. I guess I'll wait.
Some of us don't play their game. We wait till we can buy the disk set cheap, or better yet like I did for ST Discovery, check it out from our local library.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Soen Eber