RIP TAB

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I don't know about Tab but do they even still sell Barqs?

It seems to show up for like a week at the store then nothing for ages. Not even an empty slot. It's the only decent Root Beer, Mug is too sweet and A&W is too foamy.
Root Beer Heretic! Barq's has caffeine, which is a no no for a proper root beer. Mug's is crappe that tastes like root beer candy instead of root beer, the only easily available relatively decent root beer is A&W. It's foamy but that can be dealt with.

If Oogies in Streator was still around, I'd tell you to head there and buy their in house stuff.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Hires wasn't bad in my distant distant memory but you can't hardly find it anymore because both Hires and A&W are owned by Dr Pepper, and A&W wins most of the market contracts.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I don't know about Tab but do they even still sell Barqs?

It seems to show up for like a week at the store then nothing for ages. Not even an empty slot. It's the only decent Root Beer, Mug is too sweet and A&W is too foamy.
I got Barqs at some point during the current Covid-19 period of time. Don't recall where, but it wasn't from one of the places listed here (I've a vague idea I got it from Target, Safeway, Wegmens; definitely not at one of the fast food places listed; possibly at a Family Dollar type place, but not the specific one listed when I looked up my zip code):
Product Locator

huh. I have five options for the Root Beer version, but zero options for any of the other products they sell. Then I switched the zip code to where my parents live (since it was possible I got the Barqs there) and no location sells any of the Barq products within 3 miles of their zip code.

Lexxi

meow
SL Rez
Joined SLU
12-14-2007
SLU Posts
I used to like getting Irn-Bru when I lived in New York and there was an Welsh pub nearby (yeah, I know Irn-Bru is from Scotland not Wales), but that place closed, and I hadn't seen Irn-Bru since. So I randomly looked for it and I can apparently buy it at Wegmans near me (not that I've ever seen it there, though it's probably not in the soda aisle but in the "foreign foods" asile).

I've a vague desire to immediately go see if they have any. Except it is 2:30 am and the place is closed.

Also it costs $2.99 per 16.9 FL oz. eeks. Buying ten bottles would cost me $29.90. Yeah, maybe I won't go pick any up. mmphs.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I've been drinking A&W root beer for the past year or so because I've become addicted to the vanilla they make it with. I can even drink the diet version because of that.

:kittyball:

(You'd think Groot would have a problem with something called *root* beer.)

• 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Hires wasn't bad in my distant distant memory but you can't hardly find it anymore because both Hires and A&W are owned by Dr Pepper, and A&W wins most of the market contracts.
I'm old enough to remember Lores root beer, when a six pack was eight bits.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I got Barqs at some point during the current Covid-19 period of time. Don't recall where, but it wasn't from one of the places listed here (I've a vague idea I got it from Target, Safeway, Wegmens; definitely not at one of the fast food places listed; possibly at a Family Dollar type place, but not the specific one listed when I looked up my zip code):
Product Locator

huh. I have five options for the Root Beer version, but zero options for any of the other products they sell. Then I switched the zip code to where my parents live (since it was possible I got the Barqs there) and no location sells any of the Barq products within 3 miles of their zip code.
I mean, it SAYS Kroger and Walmart here but its LIES.

• 1Hug
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Google shopping: enter Barqs, then scroll the filter items to the far right and select "more filters". Select "Availiable Nearby Only" and you'll find local stores you can call to confirm availability.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Google shopping: enter Barqs, then scroll the filter items to the far right and select "more filters". Select "Availiable Nearby Only" and you'll find local stores you can call to confirm availability.
If I choose the wrong filter am I barqing up the wrong tree?

• 2LOL
  • 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Sid, Free and Khamon
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Hey I didn't say that! You are groot though.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
When I was a kid in Australia I had heard of root beer but couldn't find it anywhere, turned out Australia was sarsparilla territory.

Anyway.

Root beer (sarsparilla) isn't root beer (sarsparilla) any more, because sarsparilla vine and sassafras root were found to cause cancer.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Root beer (sarsparilla) isn't root beer (sarsparilla) any more, because sarsparilla vine and sassafras root were found to cause cancer.
And Coke doesn't contain cocaine anymore. I guess we should call it Tab or something.

Safrole, and not sarsaparilla or sassafras root, is what the FDA found to be carcinogenic and banned from commercial use. There are still root beers made with an extract of sassafras that removes the safrole. They probably use artificial or other flavoring to get a root beer taste since safrole is pretty much the root beer's flavor, but "Root beer isn't root beer any more" is not a completely true statement.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Wow, that is an impressively microscopic nitpick there, Free. :geek:

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
We have a local root beer 1819 that tastes pretty good - it was being served at a Fort Snelling reenactment which is when I laast tasted it. It is sold at CUB foods which is owned by Super Value.

I don't know its market reach - probably upper mid-west only, but might be worth checking out. It's good, but not worth a flight from Australia.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
"Root beer isn't root beer any more" is not a completely true statement.
In 2020 that's basically saying it's unimpeachable.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
And Coke doesn't contain cocaine anymore. I guess we should call it Tab or something.
So totally dumb and probably doesn't mean anything, but it came up in Duolingo the other day that "Cola" can mean "line" in Spanish. Which really got me thinking of the possible hidden meaning behind "Coca-cola". Like it literally could mean "Cocaine Line".