WTF Recent outbreak of “Polio-Like” disease US and Canada

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Good Lord, I just heard about this today. Terrifying.

Last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control reported a small surge in cases of a mysterious disease in children. More than 60 cases of the polio-like illness have been confirmed in 22 U.S. states in recent weeks. Now, doctors in Toronto say they're seeing cases appear in Canada.

My instinct is to blame the anti vaxxer for things like this but I in fairness can’t. Even if it was confirmed as Polio (it’s not Polio according to CDC) i don’t think the west has been actively vaccinating children for polio in years, have they?

Whatever it is, once there is a vaccine, I’m sure they won’t get it anyway so I might yet get my chance to soap box on that.

Cases of rare, polio-like paralysis targeting kids appear in Canada | CBC Radio

Last edited:

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
At least in the US.... polio is still vaccinated against.

Birth-18 Years Immunization Schedule | CDC
Thanks.
I looked it up and it’s still part of the regular scheduled infant vaccinations in Canada too, but it’s been so long since I had any personal experience with infant vaccines I guess I forgot.

For some reason the MMR vaccines, chicken pox, and others stayed in my mind but I completely forgot polio.

I distinctly remember the HPV vaccine because my sons school only provided it to girls and I had to bring him to a clinic for it.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Pancake

Fluffer
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
As usually happens, once I hear about a story it seems I see it everywhere. CNN was covering this outbreak today, and it seems there is still no good idea of why it’s becoming more prevalent. Some say it could be related to the flu, and if it is it’s only going to get worse because flu season hasn’t really taken off yet.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/22/health/acute-flaccid-myelitis-cdc-stats/index.html

The CDC received information on 33 confirmed cases of AFM in 2017, 149 cases in 2016, 22 cases in 2015, and 120 cases in the latter part of 2014.
"There is a lot we don't know about AFM," including the cause in a majority of cases, Messonnier said. While potential causes may include certain viruses, environmental toxins and genetic disorders, the CDC says, "AFM can be difficult to diagnose because it shares many of the same symptoms as other neurologic diseases."

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
At least in the US.... polio is still vaccinated against.

Birth-18 Years Immunization Schedule | CDC
Here in Europe there is vaccination against polio e.o. as well. But the last decade or so more and more people don't let their children vaccinate (Thank you Internet, where every one can play world saver with fake news). Therefore the percentages of vaccinated people drop steadily.
Having a high percentage of vaccinated population is important in the fight against the spreading of the disease. The lower that percentage gets, the more chance the viruses have to spread.

Zaida Gearbox

But, this seems to be a completely new disease - it's not polio. There is no vaccine for it yet.