Racing turns to esports

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
When it comes to sports, 2020 is going to be one of those asterisk years, like 1919. People years from now will scroll down the page to a note explaining that "*normal stuff was supposed to happen, but then we had a pandemic instead." The Summer Olympics are being postponed for a year, and pretty much every major sports series is on hold as organizers anxiously wait to see if public gatherings can happen once more later in the year.

Motorsports is no exception, and its prospects are bleak when you consider what collapsing sales will do to marketing budgets. But while the pandemic rages, drivers, teams, and series are coming together online to put on a show for the rest of us. Or as NASCAR's Scott Warfield puts it, to give people "a distraction for 90 minutes, two hours on a Sunday and return some sense of normality to their lives."
I mentioned last week that Fox Sports will start broadcasting esports alternative for NASCAR on the iRacing platform. Interesting times.

• 1Like
Reactions: RodeejahUrquan

Noodles

Queen of Ramen
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
My parents watched the first one. They seemed to think it was neat but it wasn't clear if they would watch it again.

Free

Chapeau-ed Leader of the Free World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
My parents watched the first one. They seemed to think it was neat but it wasn't clear if they would watch it again.
Yeah. Once the novelty wears off, one big question will be what maintains the viewership.

Maitimo

mostly 'armless
SL Rez
They did the British Grand National as a virtual race today. I thought it was brilliant.

Robert Jung

I 'm used to watching f1, Indycar, WEC, and IMSA races on YouTube, but I haven't seen any full race coverage of virtual racing. Perhaps it's a copyright thing.

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
ABB Formula E's first sim race. Coverage starts at 6:11. Personally, I think IndyCar did it better.

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
I 'm used to watching f1, Indycar, WEC, and IMSA races on YouTube, but I haven't seen any full race coverage of virtual racing. Perhaps it's a copyright thing.
Here you go, IndyCar sim racing, full coverage. They're doing another one live as I post this.

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Robert Jung

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
First sore loser on the scene.

And it's all on Twitter, of course.

LOL that's nothing. Nothing.

Last weekend, Kyle Larson was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR, dropped by most of his sponsors, and fired by his actual RL NASCAR team for what he did during the stream:

Larson was competing in an iRacing event on Sunday when he appeared to lose communication with his spotter on his headset. During a check of his microphone, Larson said, "You can't hear me?" That was followed by the N-word.
Here's the video, if you're interested:

Larson is something of a rising star in the Cup series and he would've been a hot free agent next year but his career has just been torpedoed. Something tells me it's not over, but it should be a long while before he's seeing eight figures again.

Lady Darnk Juniorette

⚧🎃💀Chaos Agent Mahagok💀🎃⚧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2012
SLU Posts

Last weekend, Kyle Larson was suspended indefinitely by NASCAR, dropped by most of his sponsors, and fired by his actual RL NASCAR team for what he did during the stream:

Larson is something of a rising star in the Cup series and he would've been a hot free agent next year but his career has just been torpedoed. Something tells me it's not over, but it should be a long while before he's seeing eight figures again.
HEATED GAMER MOMENT!!!

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez

Best keep NASCAR away from SL HUBs!