• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It's perfectly clear -- you con't do it.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I didn't have to watch the video to know it was related to CON being system reserved for the "console" on DOS. You can even use CON to create simple text files a la:
COPY CON foo.txt
You can only edit one line at a time and can't go back. Hit F6 (or Ctrl+Z) and the Enter key to finish.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Microsoft Word now flags double-spaces after periods as an error:

Barbarians! I learned to type on a Selectric II in Nineteen and Eighty-two by golly, two spaces are what the Word-processing Goddess intended. :)
This means I can never update from my copy of Word (2001)! Curse you, Microsoft! :beatup:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Hit the Space key as much as you like, but it only counts as 1 in HTML. :dancer:

• 1Meh
Reactions: Govi

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
LaTeX doesn't screw around with this namby-pamby flagging bushwa. Much like HTML, put all the spaces in there that you want, sweetheart -- you'll get ONE space in the output AND YOU WILL BE GRATEFUL.

(Maybe this strictness explains the name of the program?)

• 1RuPaul

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
LaTeX doesn't screw around with this namby-pamby flagging bushwa. Much like HTML, put all the spaces in there that you want, sweetheart -- you'll get ONE space in the output AND YOU WILL BE GRATEFUL.
/me falls asleep on the keyboard

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Govi and Casey Pelous

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Microsoft Word now flags double-spaces after periods as an error:

Barbarians! I learned to type on a Selectric II in Nineteen and Eighty-two by golly, two spaces are what the Word-processing Goddess intended. :)
This means I can never update from my copy of Word (2001)! Curse you, Microsoft! :beatup:
LUDDITES REJOICE! You can make the newest Microsoft Word versions revert to the Precambrian two-space standard by changing changing a setting!

Find instructions here!

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
A new Ubuntu Linux version has been released, 20.04. As a general rule I don't know a whole lot about Linux, but I keep being told that Ubuntu is beginner-friendly and particularly Windows-user friendly, and this release is supposed to be good, so I'm considering downloading VirtualBox and playing with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Katheryne Helendale

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
A new Ubuntu Linux version has been released, 20.04. As a general rule I don't know a whole lot about Linux, but I keep being told that Ubuntu is beginner-friendly and particularly Windows-user friendly, and this release is supposed to be good, so I'm considering downloading VirtualBox and playing with it.
Yeah, ubuntu is a great distro to start with. Have fun!

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
but I keep being told that Ubuntu is beginner-friendly and particularly Windows-user friendly
As long as everything works with your PC "out of the box."

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

There are many who would say here that Clarke was off the mark and the guy asking him the loaded questions has been proven right. I would disagree.

Unlike many, I don't think the visionaries of the past who foresaw a computerized age were naive, or foolishly optimistic. They definitely did not anticipate the problematic and dangerous reality we now live in; but that doesn't make them wrong. What happened - the computerized age that we ended up with - wasn't inevitable. We allowed things to get as bad as they are. In theory, it COULD even be fixed; but, I don't think it ever will be. The best we could probably hope for now is to perpetually play catch-up.

• 1Interesting

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Oh hey just so nobody gets the wrong impression from my question about Linux above, here's some Microsoft news. ^^

First, the latest update to Windows 10 begins rolling out next month. It's not a MAJOR release, but there are some new features and changes. This video goes over the important ones. It's narrated by someone named Cody, so you know it's quality info.

Aside from that stuff, at the end of last month MS hosted a sort of half-hour press-only video presentation, which covered new changes to Microsoft 365, formerly Office 365. The changes involve some big additions to the Word, PowerPoint, and Excel apps, and Edge Chromium, as well as a couple of new applications that are being made available to 365 subscribers, such as a "Family Safety" app and a consumer-facing version of Microsoft Teams.

Earlier this month, the video presentation was put up on 365's Youtube channel for anyone to watch. It is here:

But like I said it's a half hour long so you'll have to decide if you care enough. Here's the blog announcement if you want to read instead. The new stuff IS kinda neat, though and the video demos some of it. The most interesting to me:

Edge is getting a new "Password Monitor" feature. If you let Edge act as your password manager, the Monitor feature alerts you if Microsoft detects that any of your account credentials have been compromised and posted to the internet by baddies, and gives you a link to the relevant website(s) so that you can change your password(s) immediately. Which, you know, is pretty nice.

The second is a new feature for Excel called "Money for Excel", and is useful if you use an Excel spreadsheet to manage your personal budget. It basically allows you to let Excel interface with your financial institutions and import things like your account balances and transaction lists. The interface is one-way; you can't manipulate your accounts via Excel or anything like that. But, it can pull the numbers and auto-populate your budget workbook so you don't have to copy that stuff over. And Excel being Excel, the workbook itself is infinitely customizable, unlike commercial budget-tracking apps. The one hitch is, unlike the new Edge features which will be available to anyone when they finally go live, this particular feature is for 365 subscribers only.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ashiri

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts