Nobody Cares - Second Life Is Weird AF

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
[laughs in Tonic Fine Body]

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Why do you have a virtual refrigerator?

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
I'm sure I've got appropriate animations for a fridge... though I'm quite sure the mark would not appreciate them.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I think it was at Yadni's Junkyard I found a fridge with animations. If you clicked on it you vanished, then the door slowly opened to reveal you all curled up inside a giant ice cube.

bubblesort

You ever try to explain SecondLife to traditional 3D artists and there is no way to do it without sounding like a crazy person?

Like, the other day somebody posted an image to a group I'm in, showing what a human head would look like if it was projected like a map of the world. Somebody posted it's just a UV unwrap. Being pedantic like I am, I told them it's really a projection map. They responded you have to use UV mapping on heads, for various reasons... good, sensible reasons, that I agree with. Then I told them that his reasoning is sound, but you can use projection mapping on heads, because we used to use projection mapping on sculpty heads all the time in SL. He thought that was nuts. He didn't believe me until I showed him a torley video, LOL Then I mentioned that we bake specular, and he thought I was just fucking with him.

It's so weird that in SL we just kind of get used to bizarre little workarounds so much that techniques we think are normal are crazy talk to more traditional 3D artists.

• 2Agree
Reactions: WolfEyes and Ellie

Ellie

Heretical Raccoon Skunk with a Rainbow Pootbeam
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2010
SLU Posts

This reminds me of second life as I saw it around the time I joined while using a Lenvovo S10 laptop on lowest graphics settings.
No hair or shoes up the butt tho.

Last edited:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
My dentist digitally designs, prints, and installs ceramic crowns in the office during an out-patient type procedure. The process if fascinating and relatively quick. I told her that, after she retired from dentistry, she could apply to be a 3D landscape designer for any gaming or virtual reality team.

• 1Like
  • 1Interesting
Reactions: Ellie and RodeejahUrquan

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Area Search 'hair': 56 different lucky chairs.

Also, why do I have to leave your store to unpack your demo?

• 1Meh
  • 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort and Kalel

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
What a wall of text.
And no, never heard of him, but that means nothing of course.
Most people have at least an alt or two and over here your name isn't even mandatory avatar related.

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
What a wall of text.
And no, never heard of him, but that means nothing of course.
Most people have at least an alt or two and over here your name isn't even mandatory avatar related.

LOL

I think I noticed all that a long time ago. 🤭

From what the post said, I'm kind of guessing this happened about 10 years ago. So after Cathiee and before Luna, I think. I don't remember if you were around for Cathiee or not now. I'm pretty sure you were here for Luna so maybe you missed it by that || much?

Or do I have that all wrong?