Cindy Claveau
Radical Left Degenerate
- Joined
- Sep 21, 2018
- Messages
- 3,488
- Location
- US
- SL Rez
- 2005
- Joined SLU
- June 2007
- SLU Posts
- 44403
The projects I have in mind are a bit different, in that we're mostly considering ways to use AI chatbots for various customer-facing purposes, so everyone's very nervous about the damage an hallucinating chatbot might do. For internal purposes, people use AI at their own discretion and at their own risk. Certainly I know the designers use it to brainstorm, seeing if whatever Dall-e comes up with when given the appropriate prompts helps them come up with ideas, and I've certainly found ChatGPT at least as helpful as, and far faster than, Googling technical questions. I don't trust it implicitly, of course, so I check references and sources, just as I would for any other form of online research, but it's certainly a great time-saver.My sweet summer child....
On the contrary, I DO think you've been spoiled by working with an unusually sensible organization. I would love to believe that is the norm, but I very much doubt it.
My cynicism is fueled by my own work experience in a corporate business consulting firm that is on the Fortune 500 list. I watched executives enthuse about the future of block-chain technology, metaverses, cybercurrency, and NFTs, all without any acknowledgement of the serious concerns that were, at the time, already quite well known. In the last few months before my retirement, AI was all the rage and AI-generated content was already being used by various departments, with only the most formulaic cautions about reviewing the result. There was no comprehensive review or governance, much less training, people were just running with it.
A number of my students have started doing their research projects on using AI in medical fields, either to help doctors with diagnosis or to answer patient questions. The general finding is that customer facing uses are not there but where they aid a professional who interprets the results they are getting very good. These are LLMs trained on medical research and charts mostly, not ChatGPT.The projects I have in mind are a bit different, in that we're mostly considering ways to use AI chatbots for various customer-facing purposes, so everyone's very nervous about the damage an hallucinating chatbot might do. For internal purposes, people use AI at their own discretion and at their own risk. Certainly I know the designers use it to brainstorm, seeing if whatever Dall-e comes up with when given the appropriate prompts helps them come up with ideas, and I've certainly found ChatGPT at least as helpful as, and far faster than, Googling technical questions. I don't trust it implicitly, of course, so I check references and sources, just as I would for any other form of online research, but it's certainly a great time-saver.
I don't actually see the harm in using AI as a timesaver to generate simple content about a field you know well, so long, of course, as you check the results.
In England and Wales and also, I think, New Zealand, the judiciary have issued guidelines on the use of AI in court (I think I posted about it earlier, but I'll dig out the article if anyone's interested). In both jurisdictions, judges may use ChatGPT or similar to save time when drafting their explanations of the law to juries, so long, of course, as it's a simple area of the law with which they're familiar and that they take responsibiity for the accuracy of the summary.A number of my students have started doing their research projects on using AI in medical fields, either to help doctors with diagnosis or to answer patient questions. The general finding us that customer facing uses are not their but where they aid a professional who interprets the results they are getting very good. These are LLMs trained on medical research and charts mostly, not ChatGPT.
You and your students might be interested in thisI have an assigned reading about the New York lawyers who were sanctioned because they submitted a ChatGPT text as a filing that included three citations to cases that don't exist. I think the judge did a good response about how to responsibility use LLMs but that it is the responsibility of the attorneys to fact check anything with their name on it filed with the court, no matter if the draft is from an AI or from an intern.
What worries me is that people think spicy autocomplete is AI, and when software with actual reasoning ability comes along people won't have a fucking clue that it isn't just a better parody generator until it's too late.What worries me most is that people think that AI is far more capable than it is
This reads remarkably well in the voice of Sir Humphrey Appleby.Since it seems more likely that 2/3 Americans base their opinion on what they've heard, or think they've heard, about AI taking everyone's jobs than that they've reached an informed conclusion based on a detailed analysis of AI's capabilities and how those might apply to their jobs, I'm not sure how much this tells us, other than that, no matter whether they're real or groundless, fears about AI taking people's jobs are likely to become a major concern in US politics.
Bernhard's too, but curiously not Hacker's voice. Not self-serving enough, I suppose.This reads remarkably well in the voice of Sir Humphrey Appleby.
What worries me most is that people think that AI is far more capable than it is, and that they will use it with decreasing amounts of supervision.
We constructed "medical expert systems" in school using Prolog on an IBM 370. We were so 7eet. The professor required backward chaining and that we include cautionary statements detailing the inherent limitations. Stats and Logic were prerequisites but the other languages (Assembly and COBOL) were not; that always seemed odd to me. The point is that people now don't bother to ask these chatbots to site data or reasoning to support their "conclusions." Businesses might though where profitability is concerned.A number of my students have started doing their research projects on using AI in medical fields, either to help doctors with diagnosis or to answer patient questions. The general finding is that customer facing uses are not there but where they aid a professional who interprets the results they are getting very good. These are LLMs trained on medical research and charts mostly, not ChatGPT.
Erwin James, the writer of an influential Guardian column about life in prison who would go on to be a leading voice on criminal justice, has died.
James, real name Erwin James Monahan, was convicted of murder in 1984 and served 20 years in prison. He wrote the Guardian column, A Life Inside, from 2000 until his release in 2004, and continued to write extensively for the newspaper afterwards, offering a glimpse of the reality of life behind bars and the challenge faced by those trying to build a rehabilitated life after it.
If you ask the chatbots to cite sources they treat it like any other input and create a plausible continuation of the prompt based on the connections between tokens in the data set. They will therefore make up citations, because that's what a plausible continuation of the prompt looks like.The point is that people now don't bother to ask these chatbots to site data or reasoning to support their "conclusions." Businesses might though where profitability is concerned.
ChatGPT 4 and Perplexity AI both provide hyperlinked references if asked. Whenever I've bothered to check them, they've been sound. It's a matter of knowing the limitations of the particular application, I think, and always checking sources -- which people should do anyway.If you ask the chatbots to cite sources they treat it like any other input and create a plausible continuation of the prompt based on the connections between tokens in the data set. They will therefore make up citations, because that's what a plausible continuation of the prompt looks like.
That's all these programs do. It's all hallucinations. If it's actually correct it's a coincidence.
My main response to concerns about students using LLMs is to have them turn in a bibliography with hyperlinks and annotations before they write the assignment.If you ask the chatbots to cite sources they treat it like any other input and create a plausible continuation of the prompt based on the connections between tokens in the data set. They will therefore make up citations, because that's what a plausible continuation of the prompt looks like.
That's all these programs do. It's all hallucinations. If it's actually correct it's a coincidence.
This reads remarkably well in the voice of Sir Humphrey Appleby.
My father was a senior civil servant and my uncle was Professor of Politics at a major university, so I have a certain view of how things work.Bernhard's too, but curiously not Hacker's voice. Not self-serving enough, I suppose.
A Boeing 757 plane lost its nose wheel shortly before taking off at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, according to US aviation officials.
The Delta Air Lines plane had been preparing to fly to Bogota, Colombia, on January 20 when the “nose wheel came off and rolled down the hill,” according to a preliminary report from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
Passengers were able to disembark the plane after the incident, which occurred at around 11:15 a.m., and were bused back to the terminal, the FAA has confirmed. No injuries were reported.