Nobody Cares: Gaming Edition

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
For the record, I LOVE The Elder Scrolls with a passion, and I love Fallout 3.
Fallout 4 would not be bad either if we really had 4 answer options in each conversation and the silly game would not constantly crash....

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Dunno what I'm supposed to feel about MS obtaining Bethesda. I am still very salty about them and the way they (Bethesda, I should add) started to thread their userbase with lies, deceit and unlimited greed. They're actually the reason why I really hope any gamedev/publisher of games I like won't become successfull. Because time and time again it seems to lead onto the same road.
Yeah...just because Microsoft bought them, it doesn't necessarily mean that for instance Howard is out of the picture or is being overruled or even pressured to change at all, unless some news comes out specifically saying that.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Well no, don't think this gives any more power to Howard. He's still nothing but the head of Bethesda Studios; he won't be in charge of anything except specifically Bethesda games. Microsoft bought Zenimax, not Bethesda by itself.

Sukubia Scarmon

SL Rez
Fallout 4 would not be bad either if we really had 4 answer options in each conversation and the silly game would not constantly crash....
I don't like the dialogue in FO4 in general. I prefer the written out, but not voiced options of FO3, mainly because it felt like I have more controll over the dialogue itself, because you know, I could read all of them fully. Now it's just a short sentence or single word I missinterpret sometimes and have to reload.
What I decidetly do NOT like, is the constant try to shove their god forsaken overpriced mods down my throat. I especially dislike it because it's so forced, and it breakes the Script extenders every goddamn update. I don't update anymore, of course. >_>

Yeah...just because Microsoft bought them, it doesn't necessarily mean that for instance Howard is out of the picture or is being overruled or even pressured to change at all, unless some news comes out specifically saying that.
I mean, considering all the fuckups they had last I heard of them, they better change at least somewhat. But I kinda doubt it.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
I don't like the dialogue in FO4 in general. I prefer the written out, but not voiced options of FO3, mainly because it felt like I have more controll over the dialogue itself, because you know, I could read all of them fully. Now it's just a short sentence or single word I missinterpret sometimes and have to reload.
What I decidetly do NOT like, is the constant try to shove their god forsaken overpriced mods down my throat. I especially dislike it because it's so forced, and it breakes the Script extenders every goddamn update. I don't update anymore, of course. >_>
There is a mod that replaces each dialog option with a written out one... it's depressing as you sometimes have the option to choose between 4 different wordings of the same answer.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
as I already said in NWN:
Northwest Natural Holding Co? (Honestly, who cares what anyone says on New World Notes?)

Todd Howard's expertise on game design coupled with Bill Gates' take on OSes... what could possibly go wrong?
Well, it would go wrong more than a decade ago, back when Gates had any influence over MS Windows.

• 1LOL
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Well, it would go wrong more than a decade ago, back when Gates had any influence over MS Windows.
His legacy lives on... One Microsoft employee who tried to sell me MS's take on R told me R was not object oriented... they should stick to what they do best: that is building controllers.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
A point that had not yet occurred to me regarding Microsoft's purchase; linux gaming :(

• 1Pizza
Reactions: Free

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
I don't think Microsoft buying one game studio, or even a few, is going to somehow change the already lousy situation for gaming on Linux.

I think hardcore Linux fans have either been unaware or just plain ignoring that Microsoft has become seriously Linux-friendly over the last decade. Heck just yesterday at its Ignite conference Microsoft announced that it's making its Edge browser available on Linux starting next month.

It's been Microsoft's post-Windows Phone pivot, when they killed the Phone OS and just started releasing tons of apps for iOS and Android. Microsoft doesn't care so much anymore whether you use Windows, if you're still using MS products on the platform of your choice.

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir and Govi

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I don't think Microsoft buying one game studio, or even a few, is going to somehow change the already lousy situation for gaming on Linux.

I think hardcore Linux fans have either been unaware or just plain ignoring that Microsoft has become seriously Linux-friendly over the last decade. Heck just yesterday at its Ignite conference Microsoft announced that it's making its Edge browser available on Linux starting next month.

It's been Microsoft's post-Windows Phone pivot, when they killed the Phone OS and just started releasing tons of apps for iOS and Android. Microsoft doesn't care so much anymore whether you use Windows, if you're still using MS products on the platform of your choice.
I dunno. I think the DirectX 12 vs Vulkan argument has merit.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
So...I, fairly recently, delved into the Tales of ... series. I completely missed their very existence when they came out, despite the fact that the initial western releases started with the PS1. I had no idea, that in Japan, they rank right up there with FF and DQ.

I started off recently with Tales of the Abyss, which of course, is out of order, but like FF, it doesn't make that much difference. Initially I wasn't a fan of the battle mode, having become sooo accustomed to the turned based battles of games like FF, DQ and so many more. But it grew on me pretty quickly. I really like how the game level up skills and the battles are more interesting as you learn assorted combos and far more engaging as you manipulate your attacks physically vs just selecting them from a menu. I also liked that the more you would use an attack the more powerful it would become and liked testing out different combinations to learn more.

I next moved to Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube version). I instantly liked that one and barreled through it, liking the characters more than Tales of the Abyss. By now, I was thinking, "Ok, I'd really like to play these in order so that I may see the progression of the series as it went on." so I decided to go all the way back to Tales of Phantasia. The question was whether to use a fan translation of the original SNES version or fan translation of the PSX version. I decided upon the PSX version. This one I have had to slog through a bit as it dragged out a bit in places and I missed some of the later conventions. At some point I will probably have a go at Tales of Destiny 1 & 2, Tales of Legendia.

Anyhow, long story short...Steam is having a sale this week for the Tokyo Game Show 2020. As a result, those games that have had PC ports are on sale. I am going to buy Tales of Symphonia because I will probably want to do another playthrough as some point, but the rest I'm not so sure about. I'm leaning toward getting Tales of Vespiria and am going to actually finally have a go at FFXIII, despite fans not particularly liking it. The last proper FF game I played was XII. I've tried XV on game pass, but was meh on that, and uninstalled.

I see all of these games as good old-fashioned jrpg comfort food, which in moderation I like.

My question for y'all, those that have played the series anyhow, is of the remaining Tales games available for PC (Tales of Vespiria, Tales of Zestiria and Tales of Berseria), which do you think are worth a buy? Obviously there are some that I won't be able to play which only came out on the PS3 or later and have not yet been ported to PC.

TLDR: Sorry for such a long post. Bottom line, which PC ports of Tales games do you find worthy?

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
...I decided to go all the way back to Tales of Phantasia. The question was whether to use a fan translation of the original SNES version or fan translation of the PSX version. I decided upon the PSX version. This one I have had to slog through a bit as it dragged out a bit in places and I missed some of the later conventions.
I watched a let's play of this game, and got to a part where they entered a cave and practically every three or four steps they moved inside this cave area there was a battle encounter, always against the same kinds of enemies. It was too tedious to keep watching, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to actually play it.

• 1Like
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Girl Genius is promoting the creation of a game based on a part of the Girl Genius series.

It sounds like a lot of fun, so I have a stake in this, in that I have pledged for the project on Kickstarter. Give it a look, please!

The Kickstarter link.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Girl Genius is promoting the creation of a game based on a part of the Girl Genius series.

It sounds like a lot of fun, so I have a stake in this, in that I have pledged for the project on Kickstarter. Give it a look, please!

The Kickstarter link.
Will do!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I have it pledged as well. They are a bit short with 8 days to go.

• 1Thanks

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez

The Kickstarter link.
Wasn't there a card game or some kind of RPG supplement in the early naughties already?

• 1Agree

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Wasn't there a card game or some kind of RPG supplement in the early naughties already?
There are a couple of card games. There was even a simple mobile game where Krosp drives a mechanical device to catch rats.

• 1Agree