• 1Disagree
Reactions: Caete

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I think I now get HBO Max free through work, but there doesn't seem to be a FireTV app so I can't really use it.

I wanted to watch all these Studio Ghibli movies... :/

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Back and improved.

I remember all the people hating on this show when it was first announced literally because the teenaged main character's tits weren't big enough.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I watched the Netflix film The Old Guard last night.

It was OK. At least I didn't feel like I wasted 2 hours watching it. Charlize Theron was great. Bad guy was depressingly one dimensional, but not sure what else you can expect from a movie about near-immortal warriors fighting a corporation. Mostly ended up like I expected it would, with a few tweaks. Twist right at the end seems to set up a sequel.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ooh ooh ooh yes please!

Deadline reports that Sakai will produce the CG animated series with Gaumont, Dark Horse Entertainment, and James Wan’s Atomic Monster (Wan will be one of several executive producers alongside Sakai) for Netflix. Titled Samurai Rabbit: The Usagi Chronicles, the show will not actually follow the titular Miyamoto Usagi, the protagonist Sakai first created back in 1984. Instead, Samurai Rabbit will follow one of Usagi’s descendants, a teenage rabbit named Yuichi who strives to become a samurai like his legendary ancestor.
Sounds interesting.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Govi

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Back and improved.
that remains to be seen

She-Ra would never fly today without a heapload of nostalgia...

The new She-Ra seems younger and with less skimpy outfits to avoid sexualisation - but will she be able to escape her past incarnation? Many of the fans coming from nostalgia won't admit it, but will surely not like those changes (not saying there are not some who will welcome them, but nostalgia does usually not work that way).

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
OwO what's this?

bubblesort

OwO what's this?

I've been waiting for this with some apprehension. I mean... yay, Lovecraft, and yay, representation, but putting them together? There are so many ways this can go horribly wrong.

Lovecraft was basically a nazi. His monsters were a direct manifestation of his racism. It's hard not to look at his work through this lens.

So when you put black people in lovecraftian horror like this... on one hand, they could totally ignore Lovecraft as a person, and whitewash him and his work, making it paletable, and hiding the racism, which I don't like. Or, they could put the racism in, potentially causing a massive controversy and getting cancelled if they do it badly. The show is just based on Lovecraft, so maybe race isn't as big a deal, since it's not actually a story written by Lovecraft. Maybe it is? IDK.

There's a balance they might strike here, though, so I'm definitely going to watch it to see how it turns out. Maybe they will do it just right. I'm going to withhold judgement until it comes out. It will be interesting to see what my black friends think about it.

I just hope it's not shallow.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
No no....in this particular story, race is a very big deal. This show is based on a novel from a few years back that is set in the Jim-Crow-era, and the racism faced by the black protagonist and his family is kind of intentionally juxtaposed against the Lovecraftian horrors they also face.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Yup.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Fionalein

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I watched the Netflix film The Old Guard last night.

It was OK. At least I didn't feel like I wasted 2 hours watching it. Charlize Theron was great. Bad guy was depressingly one dimensional, but not sure what else you can expect from a movie about near-immortal warriors fighting a corporation. Mostly ended up like I expected it would, with a few tweaks. Twist right at the end seems to set up a sequel.
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. I hope there’s a follow up movie. Not sure why it got bad reviews, it’s mindless action fun and I liked all the characters.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Free