Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,643
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Woohoo!

Apple TV+ has officially picked up Murderbot, a 10-episode sci-fi drama series starring and executive produced by Emmy winner Alexander Skarsgård (Succession). Based on Martha Wells’ bestselling Hugo- and Nebula Award-winning book series The Murderbot Diaries, the project hails from Chris and Paul Weitz (About a Boy) and Paramount Television Studios.
Now I'll have to subscribe to Apple TV+ for the duration...
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,643
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
I watched Leave the World Behind tonight, and...

I'm not sure I get it.

The whole production was well done, very well acted, and I found a lot of the creepy mysterious stuff going on compelling. The deer scenes felt pretty ominous, a little bit of horror film styling without any actual horror bits as follow up.

But then it all just. Sorta. Ends.

Are we supposed to take some meaning from the Friends finale? What's that about? The world is ending, but hey be at peace with the certainly you can still watch turn of the century sitcoms (if you got them on Blu-ray).
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Some old movies are so poetic.
I Know Where I'm Going 1945

Imagine it, full of yachts big and small
There's racing and highland games all day
And at night, at night they give a ball
You can't imagine what a wonderful sight it is
The assembly rooms are all hung with special hangings in dark red
And the women wear tiaras, those that have them
And the place blazes with joy

The men, the men are more splendid than the women
With their velvet doublets and scarlet waistcoats
Their laced cuffs and jabbos
Their buttons of gold and silver
Their buckled shoes
And their filobears of every shape and color

When the pipes play
We dance, we dance all night
Till the sun shines through the curtains



 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,442
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Still doing the Buffy thing here. On Season 6 now. I have kind of spoilered myself overtime so I have a vague idea of some things to come. But I just want to say I really like how Tara and Willow are done. They are just, a couple, and its not all "hey look, the gay couple!" Like a lot of shows feel like they do.

I feel like that could be misinterperated a bit, I don't mean it in some negative way against gay couples on TV.

Also, it still feels weird that Dawn literally just appeared and everyone just accepts it, still. Its just such an odd plot element.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
9,524
Location
Montréal
SL Rez
2007
I’m watching the Golden Globes on a live tv channel I didn’t even know I had access to through Prime and omg I had forgotten how many ads there were, and how long. We use to accept this as normal in the before times. The nice part, though, is you get to do so much in between without missing out - bathroom break, wash the dishes, clean the kitty litter, make banana bread… it’s like a game. Sure, you can always pause when streaming, but not 20 times.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,198
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
I watched Leave the World Behind tonight, and...

I'm not sure I get it.
Hated it about as much as I hated "Beau is Afraid". If this is the direction that 'Cinema' is headed in... I'm gonna switch to watching dry paint sit there doing nothing instead.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,442
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
I’m watching the Golden Globes on a live tv channel I didn’t even know I had access to through Prime and omg I had forgotten how many ads there were, and how long. We use to accept this as normal in the before times. The nice part, though, is you get to do so much in between without missing out - bathroom break, wash the dishes, clean the kitty litter, make banana bread… it’s like a game. Sure, you can always pause when streaming, but not 20 times.
The thrill of going to the bathroom during a commercial and then someone yells from the other room "It's back on!" And now you have to rush back.
 
  • 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Isabeau

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,973
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
I watched Leave the World Behind tonight, and...

I'm not sure I get it.

The whole production was well done, very well acted, and I found a lot of the creepy mysterious stuff going on compelling. The deer scenes felt pretty ominous, a little bit of horror film styling without any actual horror bits as follow up.

But then it all just. Sorta. Ends.

Are we supposed to take some meaning from the Friends finale? What's that about? The world is ending, but hey be at peace with the certainly you can still watch turn of the century sitcoms (if you got them on Blu-ray).
There was a quote-unquote "horror" movie I watched as a kid called Wendigo. I was really into spooky stuff and was familiar with the story of the Wendigo, so I was excited and had high expectations for the movie, only to be disappointed. Like, thoroughly disappointed.

The movie continuously threatens to be about something horror/supernatural, but like your movie, the stylistic nudges never pay off. At one point someone tells a story about the Wendigo, and later couple of characters hallucinate a "Wendigo" creature - I guess - but the hallucinations have nothing to do with any of the bad things that actually happen to people in the movie; one character gets shot over basically road-rage and dies from his injury, and another gets run over during a police chase, and that's it.
 
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
The Last Detail 1973
This stars Jack Nicholson and Otis Young escorting Randy Quaid to military prison. He stole $40 from a charity box that was treasured by the commanding officer's wife and got eight years. They have five days to get him there where it could maybe have taken two. He is quite gentle and naive. They have as much fun together as they can and educate him about life.
They check out all sorts of things on their travels. A repeating sound. They walk in and Buddhists were chanting. One of them tries to get him to escape. He couldn't do that to Jack and Otis who were his best friends. Later they are in a snow covered park. They found some wood and made a campfire, cooking hotdogs and talking. Nobody remembered to buy the buns so they are dipping them in a mustard bottle.

Everything I watch is on the Criterion Channel. Who needs Netflix? It's all a bunch of junk to me. Some other movies I've watched there in the last few weeks.

The Lady Eve starring Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda - 1941. Henry has been researching snakes in the (Amazon rain?) forest. He manages to get on a cruise ship with his small boat. Him and Barbara quickly develop a loving relationship. Unfortunately for both of them, she has a past of being a con artist and card shark. He no longer trusts her. She is hurt and plots her revenge in comedic ways.

Karen Dalton 2020
She was a folk singer and player in the 60s who never made it. People such as Bob Dylan and Nick Cave thought she was one of the best but it was not to be. This film was made about her.

Journey to the Beginning of Time - 1955
There are three children, maybe 10 or 15 years old. One of them sees a trilobite in a museum. A bit later they find a cave entrance where their adventure begins in this animated film. This cave leads to a river where they go back in time. They see dinosaurs and eventually towards the end they see a trilobite. Contrary to the title, the beginning of time on earth is way more than a billion years but whatever. This uses a bunch of stop motion photography which I think would be cutting edge for filming back then. It is a subtitled Czechoslavakian film.

When I want to watch something I go to my list so it has been J's, K's and L's.

Anyway, just felt like rambling a bit.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: Khamon and Noodles
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,768
Location
NJ suburb of Philadelphia
SL Rez
2003
SLU Posts
4494
Leningrad Cowboys Go America - 1989
I saw this decades ago but forgot about it, very funny. These polka musicians from Siberia get advice from their manager to go to America because they will buy anything there. When they get there another manager asks them if they have ever heard of rock and roll because that is where it's at. No but they have a book and learn rock and roll. He also sends them on the way to Mexico to play for his daughter's wedding. They play to mostly empty bars with their pointed hairstyles and shoes. Really goofy movie. They are totally clueless but get by.