Nobody Cares about TV and Film

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
This may be in my wheelhouse. Can't quite tell yet.

Also, Brie and Samuel really must love working together, huh?
I don't know those actors but I'll try this.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

Pamela

SL Rez
Joined SLU
I like Shrill on Hulu .

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
The new Godzilla film seems a bit off model to me...

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Holy crap. I decided to start watching Russian Doll tonight, and ended up watching the entire thing. Fuck it's good! :)

• 1Agree
  • 1Like
Reactions: Pamela and Rose Karuna

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
Why do characters in TV & film just stroll into other people’s houses if they don’t answer the door? Like an unlocked door is an invitation even to complete strangers?

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Works in Zelda...

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Why do characters in TV & film just stroll into other people’s houses if they don’t answer the door? Like an unlocked door is an invitation even to complete strangers?
You mean it isn't?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Myficals

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Same reason the Transporter was invented for Star Trek - to skip over a tedious real world step, and move the plot forward. In real life, I keep my doors locked all the time. So if somebody knocks, I have to walk over, ask who it is, ask further questions if it is a stranger, etc. That just takes up unnecessary screen time. An episode of The Flash has 42 minutes to work with. So people just saunter into their "secret STAR Labs", where in real life they would keep the doors locked.

The Transporter was a way to get around using the shuttlecraft to land on every planet they visited. After a few episodes they could even skip getting in the Transporter, and start the episode with them beaming in on the planet surface. Just saves a lot of unnecessary plot time.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
Same reason the Transporter was invented for Star Trek - to skip over a tedious real world step, and move the plot forward.
That's the Doylist argument. The Watsonian one is that the people in movieland are all insane. Not only do they blithely walk into houses uninvited, but they also end phone calls by abruptly hanging up without warning, make arrangements to meet people without determining a time or place, they immediately throw away food they've just purchased because of a sudden change of plans, they hold weird extended conversations wherein two minutes of dialogue apparently occurs over potentially several hours, and the less said about their borderline psychopathic responses to death and violence the better.

Yes, all of these ticks are ultimately down to writing conventions, shortcuts and whathaveyous, but the end result is still a whole lot of deeply strange people.

• 1Like
Reactions: Ava Glasgow

Porsupah Ree

Shy bunny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I'm apparently well behind - Hilda's already been renewed for a second season. ^_^

If you're unfamiliar with it, here's the original trailer:

It's got a similar caliber of sense of wonder and emotional resonance as Steven Universe; highly recommended.

• 1Like
Reactions: Tigger

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
That's the Doylist argument. The Watsonian one is that the people in movieland are all insane. Not only do they blithely walk into houses uninvited, but they also end phone calls by abruptly hanging up without warning, make arrangements to meet people without determining a time or place, they immediately throw away food they've just purchased because of a sudden change of plans, they hold weird extended conversations wherein two minutes of dialogue apparently occurs over potentially several hours, and the less said about their borderline psychopathic responses to death and violence the better.

Yes, all of these ticks are ultimately down to writing conventions, shortcuts and whathaveyous, but the end result is still a whole lot of deeply strange people.

Don't forget about drivers turning their heads to talk to a passenger, looking away from the road for 10-20 seconds at a time. I keep screaming "watch the fucking road!" at them. :freakout:

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
I just finished The Umbrella Academy and liked it A LOT. Then, to prepare for watching the new Hanna series, I re-watched the Hanna movie, which better than I remembered, but then I wasn't in the mood for the TV series (yet), but I rememberd that the second season of Bordertown is out on Netflix, so I'm watching that now. It's got some strange characters, takes place in this town in Finland near the Russian border, and the main character is this odd cop who is of course a master of deduction, but in a way that doesn't make you feel like it's the thousandth remake of Sherlock Holmes: all of his conclusions are plausible; don't rely on crazy jumps based on infinitesimal scraps of evidence. I like listening to the Finnish and read the English subtitles.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
to prepare for watching the new Hanna series, I re-watched the Hanna movie

I was about to start watching the series, but did not know about the movie. Is the series a continuation (so I should watch the movie first), or a new thing?

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I was about to start watching the series, but did not know about the movie. Is the series a continuation (so I should watch the movie first), or a new thing?
I believe it's effectively a reboot/retelling.

• 1Thanks

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
Yeah, I was pretty surprised when someone at work didn't realize that Westworld was a movie before it was a TV series. Admittedly it's from the last century, but I assumed it was generally known.

Hanna wasn't Saoirse Ronan's first role, but it did put her on the map. She was only 17 and she was amazing in it.

• 1Thanks

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
I am just going to throw in another enthusiasm for Bordertown, the Finnish cop show I mentioned above. You might find it best to start at Season Two, Episodes 1 and 2, which is a complete case. There is a great scene in episode two where the detective and his daughter have a late-night conversation, and she unexpectedly uses his deductive techniques on him. It's like they are playing chess while heavy imponderables move in the background.

If you like unusual cop shows and detective work, I recommend it.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield