Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Isabeau

Merdeuse
(If you're on Twitter and have an Interest in random music stuff, follow them. They only tweet about one a day.)

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Me around this time of year back when I was growing up in the middle of Indiana. I loved records and tapes.

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Free

Gone Fishin'
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
So yesterday for the first time I caught a Columbus tradition, the Sgt Peppercorn's Beatles Marathon. A group made up of local musicians from a number of bands come together once a year and play the entire Beatles catalog in one day, along with solo and related material.

They play every song, including the experimental tracks from the White Album. The Beatles only played about 80 tracks live over their careers, so many of these have never been played by anyone. It is a fucking amazing experience. I got there during Rubber Soul, but had to leave after side 3 of the White album.

They even managed to get Sir Paul to record an introduction for this year's show.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau

Isabeau

Merdeuse
It’s hard to say what, exactly, was in the water in Liverpool in the early 1960s that wound up producing the Merseybeat sound and hundreds of groups of varying success. Four teenagers caught the scene by surprise and found screaming fans at every turn. Their names were Mary, Sylvia, Pam and Val.

It wasn’t only their sound that turned heads. They were The Liverbirds, Britain’s first all-female rock ’n’ roll band. Sitting down with surviving members Mary McGlory and Sylvia Saunders, you’d never know these two exceedingly charming Scouse (that means they come from Liverpool) matriarchs rocked a tour with The Rolling Stones. Lent their instruments to The Kinks. Rolled joints for Jimi Hendrix.

John Lennon himself told them that girls don’t play guitar.

Well, John, they did. Imagine that. “Almost Famous” is a special Op-Docs series of short films directed by Ben Proudfoot featuring people who nearly made history — only to fall short. These are tales of overcoming disappointment at its most epic, from an astronaut who never flew to a superstar who never was.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Veritable Quandry

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
I'm sure there will be many strong opinions, but i felt that this year the only nominees that didn't belong on the ballot were Dave Mathews Band. Would have loved to finally get Kraftwerk in (do they have the record for most times nominated yet?), and I would have put Judas Priest or Motorhead before NIN, but it is one of the better cohorts inducted.

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
NIN is the GOAT for me, but there were definitely some other nominees in the list that deserved the nod too.

Veritable Quandry

SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
RIP Andy Gill.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Entertaining article in The Guardian, where their writers talk about songs they once loved but now can no longer listen to, and why.
My favourite:
The year was 2011, we were on a big family road trip during the summer holidays. My cousin had made a mix CD for the journey: we’re talking Super Bass, that Katy Perry track about getting abducted by sexy aliens, the now largely forgotten Like a G6 – bangers only. But the song that will always stand out from that trip was a little number called S&M. Rihanna’s brash EDM-pop era was glorious but, without wishing to pander to stereotypes, my family is Indian and we do not talk about sex. The first time it played, I convinced myself that the adults weren’t really listening, but the CD got played again and again, until eventually my cousin and I were brazenly singing along to it all. At one point, as Rihanna chanted “S-S-S-and-M-M-M” accompanied by two teenage girls, my mum asked, curiously: “What does S&M mean?” There was silence in the car, filled only with aggressive synths and the words: “Sex in the air, I don’t care, I love the smell of it!” No one said anything and my mum asked again, impatiently. Eventually, someone mumbled: “You can look it up when we get home.” I don’t know if she did, nor do I want to. Even now, should that song come on, I can feel myself physically cringing.

• 1Like
Reactions: Isabeau