Microsoft releases details of Windows 10 PC as a service plan

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
  • 1Facepalm
Reactions: bubblesort

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Seems like it's more for businesses. I guess technically privacy doesn't matter with your business machine since you don't own it.

Monica Dream

Jesus -he knows me ...and he knows I'm right!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
Seems like it's more for businesses. I guess technically privacy doesn't matter with your business machine since you don't own it.
That's what I was assuming, but I'm not sure -I keep seeing things like this:
Microsoft's Cloud PC service will be optimized for general-purpose personal computing, speed and performance while on the business end, the company will focus on scalability and data processing.
Which might be just clunky writing -I'd put "workstation computing" instead of "general purpose computing" (which implies consumer -at least to me).

idk; I'm mostly jumpy because:
a)I just got used to windows 10 and even subscribed to office 365 - so it figures they'll change it all up. See also:
b)MS has a history of doing tone-deaf fuckery (Vista, Windows 8)
c) I've seen weird rumours about the next version of windows and it's ui being ...weird. (like even simpler than Metro :eek: )

Hopefully this is just some cloudy enterprise shit -but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us being pushed back into the dark ages of dumb terminals, either.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I doubt they do away with the desktop stand alone Windows, for the privacy reasons you mentioned.

Heck, even some businesses may not legally be allowed to keep off-site storage and files in a way involving a cloud desktop.

I could see them offering the service to consumers and business though.

I wouldn't use it as a primary machine, but for a brief period I had a regular Windows VM in the cloud through a company called Cloud at Cost. It was kind of useful for some automated sort ofmprograms that needed a desktop environment and not a CLI. Not quite the same thing, but the same basic idea.

(On a side note, Cloud at Cost is an absolute trash company, the VM crashed CONSTANTLY and didn't function half the time and even reimaging it seemed to never work, plus they are bad about suddenly having fees on their "one time purchase" VMs. Even buying two machines for a Black Friday sale of like $30, I felt ripped off. They barely worked for the time I had them. This has nothing to do with the thread but because CAC came up, I wanted to tell people to not only steer clear, don't even steer close enough that you have to steer clear ).

• 1Agree
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Caete and Khamon

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
SL Rez
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
I honestly wouldn't mind this if it meant I'd have enough room for my 'main' drive, regardless of the size of the physical one.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
That better not be the only Windows 10 going forward, because I just got a new computer last year and I don't want it to become a paperweight, because no way am I trusting my DAW to the vagaries of cloud -based platfotms.
I also don't have the money to shell out for a suitably powered Mac AND new DAW software.

• 1Agree

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Meh. I don't have a problem with storing stuff on the cloud. It's just another computer hard drive, ultimately - maybe more than one. The important thing, I think, is just storing important data in more than one location, whether those locations are on your desk or in the cloud or any combination of these. In some ways cloud storage is a good thing, since the wisdom is that ideally one of your data storages will be "off-site", and the cloud certainly counts as that.

For enterprise customers, like the ones this Windows-as-a-service thing appears to be aimed at - a lot of them already use cloud storage as it is. Microsoft is running these companies' entire backends on Azure already so I suppose serving their terminals remotely too isn't a huge step.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Meh. I don't have a problem with storing stuff on the cloud. It's just another computer hard drive, ultimately - maybe more than one. The important thing, I think, is just storing important data in more than one location, whether those locations are on your desk or in the cloud or any combination of these. In some ways cloud storage is a good thing, since the wisdom is that ideally one of your data storages will be "off-site", and the cloud certainly counts as that.

For enterprise customers, like the ones this Windows-as-a-service thing appears to be aimed at - a lot of them already use cloud storage as it is. Microsoft is running these companies' entire backends on Azure already so I suppose serving their terminals remotely too isn't a huge step.
I have basically revamped my entire personal workflow around using the Cloud and Network storage over the last decade. At this point if anybody my computers or my phone just vanished I would definitely lose very little data. It's incredibly convenient as well, for working on one computer then transferring to the other.

I am so used to it that it kind of irritates me that my work isn't more cloud focused sometimes, but it seems like they are moving there slowly. The main issue is that they use a lot of different products from different companies that don't interoperate easily or well, but that's also changing.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Dakota Tebaldi

Imnotgoing Sideways

Puts the FU in Cute
What's that? Got banned from Xbox Live for flipping out in GTA Online? Nice 2TB of data you got there. Would be a shame if something were to... happen... to it. (-_-)

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: bubblesort and Sid

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
That better not be the only Windows 10 going forward, because I just got a new computer last year and I don't want it to become a paperweight, because no way am I trusting my DAW to the vagaries of cloud -based platfotms.
I also don't have the money to shell out for a suitably powered Mac AND new DAW software.
Current Cloud DAWs are still far from complete compared to local control. Most of them just syncing and storing your sessions.. I don't expect a jump anytime soon. To be able to collaborate would require getting machine times as close to Zero Latency as possible which is still tricky for allot of stuff that we do.. Also i'm pretty sure they would rather you buy more gear and storage.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Romana

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Current Cloud DAWs are still far from complete compared to local control. Most of them just syncing and storing your sessions.. I don't expect a jump anytime soon. To be able to collaborate would require getting machine times as close to Zero Latency as possible which is still tricky for allot of stuff that we do.. Also i'm pretty sure they would rather you buy more gear and storage.
Tell me about it! Getting the lowest possible latency is tricky enough with audio interfaces!

• 1Agree

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Tell me about it! Getting the lowest possible latency is tricky enough with audio interfaces!
They will Rather sell you a propriety interface( or propriety Software like "SourceConnect") that cost an arm and leg that both sides require in order to use with complex instructions just to connect and it only works on mac officially cause thats industry standard ( theres an obcure pc plugin version file you can find online on some shady website that someone was nice enough to create ex: Rewire) Theres also lots of privacy and IP rights to be concerned with Storing Client audio and video files and things getting leaked. Yeah no, There will still be a demand for local atleast in the media world.

i was just recently upgraded at work...For security purposes i have to use a Virtual Machine to access the internet and email and do documents, That could easily be done as live service but it just makes me miss having one computer do everything ( Have you tried to remote control a remote controlled PC?)

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
i was just recently upgraded at work...For security purposes i have to use a Virtual Machine to access the internet and email and do documents, That could easily be done as live service but it just makes me miss having one computer do everything ( Have you tried to remote control a remote controlled PC?)
I sometimes have to remote control other people's PCs over Teams. Its hideous trying to see their tiny resolution to get anything done.

Really don't mind working over RDP or Azure VMs, though. Easy as cake, usually.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I sometimes have to remote control other people's PCs over Teams.
yeah that icon has been on my desktop for awhile..i'll be using it soon i think..

bubblesort

It would be sheer lunacy for Microsoft to try this right now. Chrome OS is going to eat their lunch. Chrome OS's popularity is exploding, and PWAs are getting more powerful all the time. Eventually, they will hit a tipping point and there will be a massive community of web developers who can write serious programs, which is exactly what a new OS needs to have to take on Windows.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Not exactly. Some of our contracts are with external places that care very much about privacy. As in they would blow their top if someone random in the company they contracted to could see the data. I am guessing that is not unusual.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.