WTF Mask rage

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
1,050
SL Rez
2002
It's worth noting that most people who can't wear a mask could at least wear a face shield. They aren't as good as masks, but at least they'd protect others from a cough or sneeze.
 

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
>than 118,000 deaths in the US and I overwhelmingly blame Trump.

First they ignored world wide warnings and instead of getting tests from WHO they had to make their own (which didn't work)
Then they told everyone that it was just a more virulent version of the flu.
Then our government told us that masks were not effective in preventing the spread of the virus instead of just saying that health care workers needed N95 masks and for now, people should cover their faces with home made gear and masks.
Then the chief cheeto in charge refuses to wear a mask even in a mask factory.

So is anyone surprised that Trumpsters are saying this?


I the woman's mother (who is 75 with health problems) described in the interview catches COVID and dies, I hope they put the blame where it belongs. But sadly, they probably won't.
 

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
1,050
SL Rez
2002
My guess is people are really looking forward to the ass-whooping Trump is gonna put on those uppity coloreds, complete with manufactured violent confrontation outside. (I really wish protesters would choose to gather at another location to avoid walking into this trap)
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
My guess is people are really looking forward to the ass-whooping Trump is gonna put on those uppity coloreds, complete with manufactured violent confrontation outside. (I really wish protesters would choose to gather at another location to avoid walking into this trap)
Twitter is going to be interesting over the next 24 hours. The location wants a written plan of how social distancing will be implemented. The Tulsa mayor is also pretty critical of people not wearing masks.
 
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Myradyl Muse

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,191
Location
Minnesnowta
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Bottom line for me and mine? We will continue to wear our masks and distance and will continue to do so until well after we've hit the fall bounce back, if not longer depending on what happens then. What's the downside? Later, some yahoo says, "LOL, you were wrong". The alternative is that I or a family member gets it, possibly loses a life and those very same people sure as hell wouldn't say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I was wrong". They don't give a care about those who have already died nor those that may. Fuck that.

Why anyone would be willing to put their, or their loved one's, lives on the line over some posturing is beyond me.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Scar tissue from severe burns can be very painful for absolutely years. In this mans case I think an exception should have been made and someone should have helped him at the drive through instead of just telling him to go there and use it.
I don't disagree, the bank was in the wrong for not making a reasonable effort to accommodate him better.

My problem with the story is that it presents the false notion that "Difficulty getting a mask to stay in place is a legitimate excuse not to wear one."

No ears, no fingers? Drape a pre-knotted bandana over your nose and mouth. If scar tissue/injury makes it too painful, that's a different matter entirely, and not one even suggested by the story.

To cover their asses they did tack on that he ALSO has a medical condition that makes it hard to breathe. They should have led with that and stuck to it rather than confusing the issue with the impracticalities of ear straps in his case.

ETA: It's like saying "I can't marry Susan because I don't have a right hand to wear a wedding ring on. Also she's my first cousin."
 
Last edited:
  • 1Meh
Reactions: Soen Eber

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
Bottom line for me and mine? We will continue to wear our masks and distance and will continue to do so until well after we've hit the fall bounce back, if not longer depending on what happens then. What's the downside? Later, some yahoo says, "LOL, you were wrong". The alternative is that I or a family member gets it, possibly loses a life and those very same people sure as hell wouldn't say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I was wrong". They don't give a care about those who have already died nor those that may. Fuck that.

Why anyone would be willing to put their, or their loved one's, lives on the line over some posturing is beyond me.
Yes, I can not figure out the thinking. There is not much of a potential downside to wearing a mask if you can. The potential downside to not wearing one if you can is, well, death. Even if you want to show you are macho what they do is protect other people from you, who wants to risk their grandparents dying because of you?
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
I don't disagree, the bank was in the wrong for not making a reasonable effort to accommodate him better.
My problem with the story is that it presents the false notion that "Difficulty getting a mask to stay in place is a legitimate excuse not to wear one."
No ears, no fingers? Drape a pre-knotted bandana over your nose and mouth. If scar tissue/injury makes it too painful, that's a different matter entirely, and not one even suggested by the story.
To cover their asses they did tack on that he ALSO has a medical condition that makes it hard to breathe. They should have led with that and stuck to it rather than confusing the issue with the impracticalities of ear straps in his case.
ETA: It's like saying "I can't marry Susan because I don't have a right hand to wear a wedding ring on. Also she's my first cousin."
You really are all heart, aren't you... :barf:
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
I don't disagree, the bank was in the wrong for not making a reasonable effort to accommodate him better.

My problem with the story is that it presents the false notion that "Difficulty getting a mask to stay in place is a legitimate excuse not to wear one."

No ears, no fingers? Drape a pre-knotted bandana over your nose and mouth. If scar tissue/injury makes it too painful, that's a different matter entirely, and not one even suggested by the story.

To cover their asses they did tack on that he ALSO has a medical condition that makes it hard to breathe. They should have led with that and stuck to it rather than confusing the issue with the impracticalities of ear straps in his case.

ETA: It's like saying "I can't marry Susan because I don't have a right hand to wear a wedding ring on. Also she's my first cousin."
Just to be clear, it sounds like you don't believe he could have some respiratory ailment.
Why?
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
I think he means that they neglected to mention the legitimate complaint [difficulty breathing] until last and as an aside, instead of leading with it?
I'd hope so. It just seemed like Arkady thought otherwise?
I'd expect better of Jopsy, though.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,429
SLU Posts
18459
So. Much. This.
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I don't understand why, knowing that he'd find wearing a mask difficult, he didn't think to phone ahead first to discuss how he could withdraw his cash without a mask.

The suggestion they should have had someone help him misses the point, I fear -- he can't use the machine in the drive-through because his injuries mean he can't enter his PIN unaided, and there is no way that any UK bank -- or US, I would hope -- would ever allow one of its staff to ask for a customer's full PIN, so I don't see what help they could have offered.

(In his position, depending on the amount of money involved, I would ask a friend if I could transfer money to her bank account, which she would then withdraw as cash, which she would get to me somehow).
 
Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Have someone carry the physical paperwork for withdrawing money to his car, let him fill it out, take it back in, withdraw the money, and take the receipt and money back out to him.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
I don't mean to sound unsympathetic, but I don't understand why, knowing that he'd find wearing a mask difficult, he didn't think to phone ahead first to discuss how he could withdraw his cash without a mask.

The suggestion they should have had someone help him misses the point, I fear -- he can't use the machine in the drive-through because his injuries mean he can't enter his PIN unaided, and there is no way that any UK bank -- or US, I would hope -- would ever allow one of its staff to ask for a customer's full PIN, so I don't see what help they could have offered.

(In his position, depending on the amount of money involved, I would ask a friend if I could transfer money to her bank account, which she would then withdraw as cash, which she would get to me somehow).
Actually, under the americans with disabilities act and other disability laws the onus is on the service provider to have plans in place. Yes, generally people call in advance to make sure there is no delay when they get there but afaik there is nothing saying they have to do so.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,429
SLU Posts
18459
Have someone carry the physical paperwork for withdrawing money to his car, let him fill it out, take it back in, withdraw the money, and take the receipt and money back out to him.
Which would involve quite a complex series of maneuvers to ensure that he and the staff member always remained 6 feet apart, and would also have delayed other customers quite a bit, since the bank's social distancing measures will mean that over-the-counter transactions are taking far longer than usual.

Yes, it could have been done, but it could have been done a hell of a lot more easily for all concerned had he thought to discuss his problem with the bank first.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,944
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Which would involve quite a complex series of maneuvers to ensure that he and the staff member always remained 6 feet apart, and would also have delayed other customers quite a bit, since the bank's social distancing measures will mean that over-the-counter transactions are taking far longer than usual.
Regardless, that's what they should have done. This can't be that common a situation that they are significantly discomforted. Most likely they wold use a back-end person like a manager or an agent to approach from the passenger side of the car, without delaying any active customers.

Yes, it could have been done, but it could have been done a hell of a lot more easily for all concerned had he thought to discuss his problem with the bank first.
Regardless, they didn't have to respond as they did.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Just to be clear, it sounds like you don't believe he could have some respiratory ailment.
Why?
What set me off was the deceptive journalism on display covering the story.

"And he can’t wear a mask because he also lost his ears. He also has a medical condition that can make it hard to breathe."

Obviously, there are masks that don't rely on ears, so "Can't" is dishonest, and it made me suspicious.

The reporter nimbly avoids actually claiming the medical condition as an actual reason the guy can't wear a mask. Lots of people (myself included) "have a medical condition that CAN make it hard to breathe" it's a simple, true statement. And not one that prevents a lot of us from wearing masks anyway.

Maybe his condition "can" be serious enough to make it so he 'can't" wear a mask. The reporter quite clearly avoids saying so.

Don't get me wrong. The bank was completely in the wrong, and needs to do better. Nobody should be prying into this guy's business to decide whether he's justified or not in refusing to wear a mask. If he says he can't wear a mask that's completely sufficient.

But puff pieces throwing chum to the "OMG! MASK-NAZI'S ARE OUT OF CONTROL!" idiots are absolutely not about health issues, they're 100% about political/ideological pandering.