WTF Mask rage

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
It seems like I'm seeing more and more of these stories, so I figured they deserve their own thread. Here are just a few I've come across since yesterday:

And this Facebook post from a friend (who has kids!) that I thought was sane (warning, it's long, but you'll get the idea without having to read much. I just couldn't look at it any longer than I had to):

So sorry NOT sorry that I don't find rights and freedoms being stripped away as a MILD inconvenience. So sorry NOT sorry that I don't consider TOTAL AUTHORIZATION GOVERNMENT control as a MILD inconvenience either. It's only MILD because Y'ALL are getting what Y'ALL want out of it and that's us being locked away. Y'all know damn well if it were TRUMP who was enforcing TOTAL AUTHORITARIAN GOVERNMENT bullshit y'all would be singing a COMPLETELY different tune. I'm AGAINST authoritarian government REGARDLESS of whose doing. I'm NOT over here going an ordiance needs to be put in place that PREVENTS businesses from being able put a mask wearing rule in place just because I don't think I should have to wear one. See I would NEVER do that cause that would be ME overstepping! I'm in support of THAT decision being at the descretion of THAT business. Now would I take my business elsewhere if they did enforce it yes but at least it was THEIR decision and NOT the decision of a TOTAL AUTHORITARIAN GOVERNMENT! If people WANT to wear masks then they should have the RIGHT to do so. If people DON'T want to wear one THEY should have that RIGHT too. See how that works. EVERYBODY having control over THEIR own damn lives? Radical concept I know! I'm NOT going to support authoritarianism just because it suits my selfish desires to keep people locked up. I WILL keep fighting AGIANST it. I'm about EVERYBODY being able to live THEIR lives the way THEY choose. I will NEVER stop fighting for that. If that makes me a horrible person well what else is new? Lol YOU do YOU and I'LL do ME.

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
SL Rez
Joined SLU
August, 2008
People are idiots. Do they go on long rants about having to wear seatbelts? Or not being able to drive with their cell phone in front of their face while they text? How about having to wear shirts to shop in stores? Isn't THAT against their 'freedoms'? What they NEVER seem to get when they talk about their "freedoms", is that the "right to life" comes before the "right to liberty" in our Declaration of Independence. Their freedom to swing their arm ends where my nose begins. Laws, rules and regulations are put in place to protect people or property. Being required to wear a mask is no different.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
All I hear is "waaaah, my masks undermine my carefully assembled illusion of masculinity, I don't want to look like a sissy nurse because I'm not gay, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!!!"
OK, but the Facebook friend I quoted is a woman. With kids.

Govi

feral ballerina
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Do they all have literal plumbing (pipes made of lead) in their homes?

• 1LOL
Reactions: Ranma Tardis

Jopsy Pendragon

Without Equal Justice, Freedom becomes Tyranny
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
OK, but the Facebook friend I quoted is a woman. With kids.
"Karen" or "Chad" they've both managed to weaponize their insecurity and are now clubbing everyone else over the head with it, in their own way.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Do they go on long rants about having to wear seatbelts?
When I first came to the US I came from Australia, where seatbelts were universally mandatory and had been for years, to a country that was beginning to make them mandatory and some people's rage was insane. Not on the Internet of course, because this was before September and kooks on Usenet tended to be more academically interesting...

All I hear is "waaaah, my masks undermine my carefully assembled illusion of masculinity, I don't want to look like a sissy nurse because I'm not gay, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!!!"

Seriously, if you can't find a good one something is terribly wrong with you.

Shove that in your "TOTAL AUTHORIZATION GOVERNMENT".

Last edited:

Sid

Lurking until the next post
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
It is sad that the face masks have become such a political issue in the US.

While non medical face masks in daily life contribute very little to solve the corona crisis.
Keeping enough distance and washing hands regulary and most of all self isolation when you have the slightest symptoms, are far more important.

NL was never on face masks outside the medical circuit and we still got the reproduction rate of the virus down to 0,56 and still falling.
It is somewhat funny, here in NL I go to supermarkets without a mask. 3 km down the road in Germany I do the same with a mask because it is mandatory in Germany. NL and Germany have the same results in fighting the virus.

Kalel

hypnotized
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

I know there are an awful lot of people who refuse to wear a cycling helmet. When I was wee, I remember folk getting whiney because you had to wear a helmet for horse riding and gosh-forbid it needed a chin strap... Similar bitching about seatbelts. I worked for a safety manager for a few years, literally everyone seemed to hate the guy whenever he tried to stop them tripping each other up with cables lol. Some people seem incapable of understanding when something is being done for their own bloody good. Shame there are fewer opportunites for natural selection to take those types out of the gene pool.

As a family we're getting to the point where we try and avoid anyone that isn't in a mask, a lot more than 2m distance too! If they lack the sense to wear a mask, I'm not taking a chance that they'd wash their hands etc either. Not had any abuse for wearing masks, but I'm not going to be that surprised if it happens. Mouthy intollerant assholes are really feeling empowered these days.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
People bitching about the discomfort of wearing a mask should try putting on an underwire bra on a hot day, and then get back to us.
I enjoy pairing that Inquisition-style device up with a nice, toasty, waist-constricting, gut-sucking pair of pantyhose.

Sredni Eel

In Space, no one can hear you Cha Cha Cha!
I enjoy pairing that Inquisition-style device up with a nice, toasty, waist-constricting, gut-sucking pair of pantyhose.
I remember my mom's job when I was a kid. She was an administrative assistant at PG&E for as long as I can remember. The first thing she did when she got home after work was peel out of bra, panty hose, and high heeled shoes. I remember how she'd try to joke about how awful it was to have to wear that stuff, when men could show up for work wearing pants, comfy shoes, and a nice button down shirt.

Given all of that, I think I can wear a mask in public. Asthma hates me, but it's better than the alternative.

Rose Karuna

Old and Cranky Xherdan
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Companies requiring face masks need to be reasonable as well and this was just not reasonable! Injured Veteran Denied Service At Credit Union Says He Can't Wear A Face Mask

I wear my face mask and I think everyone should wear one while we still have active COVID but there are exceptions and this man (and other burn victims) are an exception.

There really are people that can't breathe under the mask, they have asthma or COPD and just can't wear a mask. Exceptions should be made for that and the employees of that credit union should probably be fired for not helping this guy. He COULDN'T use the drive up because his fingers as well as his ears were blown off. Jesus Christ how obtuse could they be?

Myradyl Muse

Mermaid Myradyl Muse
SL Rez
I remember my mom's job when I was a kid. She was an administrative assistant at PG&E for as long as I can remember. The first thing she did when she got home after work was peel out of bra, panty hose, and high heeled shoes. I remember how she'd try to joke about how awful it was to have to wear that stuff, when men could show up for work wearing pants, comfy shoes, and a nice button down shirt.

Given all of that, I think I can wear a mask in public. Asthma hates me, but it's better than the alternative.
I've always done the same with bra/pantyhose/heels, and likewise wear a mask despite medical challenges. I can also see the need for urgent exceptions, as with compromising medical or physical limitations that prohibit mask wearing, but not for 'la dee dah, I just don't wanna so there! I don't care if YOU get my germs, but don't give me yours'.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
It seems like I'm seeing more and more of these stories, so I figured they deserve their own thread. Here are just a few I've come across since yesterday:

And this Facebook post from a friend (who has kids!) that I thought was sane (warning, it's long, but you'll get the idea without having to read much. I just couldn't look at it any longer than I had to):
I lost my playbook, is he liking or hating the Russians today?

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
People are idiots. Do they go on long rants about having to wear seatbelts? Or not being able to drive with their cell phone in front of their face while they text? How about having to wear shirts to shop in stores? Isn't THAT against their 'freedoms'? What they NEVER seem to get when they talk about their "freedoms", is that the "right to life" comes before the "right to liberty" in our Declaration of Independence. Their freedom to swing their arm ends where my nose begins. Laws, rules and regulations are put in place to protect people or property. Being required to wear a mask is no different.
Point of order? There were some complaints when seatbelt laws went into effect but nothing like masks now.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna