LGBT rights confirmed by US Supreme Court.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
The question is, at what point and how, should the Gender Recognition Certificate be issued.

The plan was -- and this is what has people like JKR so upset -- basically to demedicalise the process and allow people to self-certify as whatever gender they think they are, and to include non-binary as an option.

It is said that the Government is going to renegue on that, worried by the criticisms made by JKR and people who feel like her, but it remains to be seen what we up with.
Interestingly, I just watched someone compare the orange thing's statements with what terfs want.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
We are only halfway there. The ruling hinted that there may be a conflict with the Religious Freedom Restoration Act. Given the large number of US hospitals that are Catholic, Methodist, or Adventist, that leaves an invitation for further lawsuits.
We're not even halfway there. This rests on a statute, though it's highly unlikely anyone will try to repeal the Civil Rights Act. But, this is the Corporate wing of the GOP judicial branch telling the religious/culture conservatives that they have lost the culture war. Corporations will no longer support bigotry that is so patently obvious. Hobby Lobby and other privately owned businesses aside, corporate Republicans know these forms of bigotry are bad for business. They should have known when Disney accepted Gay Days. I think the Religious Freedom Restoration Act is more likely to be found unconstitutional than additional versions of LGBTQ bigotry are likely to be legally sanctioned. Hospitals cannot discriminate on the basis of race, etc by virtue of being owned or operated by any religious organization.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
My thought is Kavanaugh is not a complete asshole but it is sure close!
He's an asshole. But he might not be a whole ass.

Maybe. We'll see. His term is still young.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
We're not even halfway there. This rests on a statute, though it's highly unlikely anyone will try to repeal the Civil Rights Act. But, this is the Corporate wing of the GOP judicial branch telling the religious/culture conservatives that they have lost the culture war. Corporations will no longer support bigotry that is so patently obvious. Hobby Lobby and other privately owned businesses aside, corporate Republicans know these forms of bigotry are bad for business. They should have known when Disney accepted Gay Days. I think the Religious Freedom Restoration Act is more likely to be found unconstitutional than additional versions of LGBTQ bigotry are likely to be legally sanctioned. Hospitals cannot discriminate on the basis of race, etc by virtue of being owned or operated by any religious organization.
I can not think of a new right that does not rest on a statute, either existing or a new law. In fact, it is pretty much what we were trying to do getting the employment non discrimination act passed until the hrc got in the way.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Roxanne Blue

Bubba Balbozar

SL Rez
I can't believe there are too many people in the U.S. who would discriminate against gays for any reason, there may be the occasional person where it offends their religious beliefs, you really want to do business with them? Do you seek to crush their religious rights? These are private companies and the disagreement happens sometimes on private property, Social media companies are private companies and can discriminate against conservatives therefore right?

Kamilah Hauptmann

A bit of a wanker
SL Rez
Bro here is really emotional about finding out what a conservative judge actually looks like.

Roxanne Blue

Una Mujer Fantastica
SL Rez
Joined SLU
June 2009
SLU Posts
Bro here is really emotional about finding out what a conservative judge actually looks like.
It certainly is entertaining to hear all the emo whining and hurt feelings from the racists and religious bigots when they are instructed by their own judges as to what the "rule of law" (you don't get a religious exemption to secular laws) actually means.

Pardon me while I continue to laugh. "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.....

• 1Beer
Reactions: Kamilah Hauptmann