Halloweenpalooza 2020

Sid

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
Everything has an eve. Thursdays have an eve!
So if I have an appointment with you on Thursday evening, I have to come Wednesday?
TIL: English is more complicated than I thought.
So eve is not short for evening, like TV for television or fridge for refrigerator?

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So if I have an appointment with you on Thursday evening, I have to come Wednesday?
eve = Evening Before
evening = Evening

I don't know why we abbreviate shit to make things more confusing. We just do.

TIL: English is a pain to learn.
Try mastering it!

• 1Agree
Reactions: Aribeth Zelin

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
eve = Evening Before
evening = Evening
I'll add this to the list with the ground floor - first floor controversy

• 1LOL
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm trying for about 50 years now.
I'm still amazed I can say words like anachronistic and prestidigitation without coming to a sputtering halt.

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Sometimes the ground floor is the first floor. Sometimes it isn't. Some buildings have a different ground floor on different sides

• 2Agree
Reactions: Govi and Aribeth Zelin

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
That's more an issue between British and American usage.
We are with the British on that one.

Another very troublesome one for me is the use of 'then' and 'than' in English. In Dutch we only have 'dan'. We use 'dan' in the 'then' and 'than' situation.
I know I often use those wrongly.
Or to pronounce "I had a hat on my head" correctly.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Sometimes the ground floor is the first floor. Sometimes it isn't. Some buildings have a different ground floor on different sides
At OHSU hospital here in Portland, the main entrance is on the 9th floor because of the way it is built on a hill.

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I'll add this to the list with the ground floor - first floor controversy
Are there 13th floors in tall buildings where you are? A lot of US buildings don't, because of superstitions about the number 13.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
Are there 13th floors in tall buildings where you are? A lot of US buildings don't, because of superstitions about the number 13.
Then there is Trump tower where he added 10 non existent floors to the numbering so the building seemed taller.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Sid

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
In Hong Kong, many buildings eliminate several floors to cater to various cultures. So, no 9th or 14th (if I recall correctly) for the Chinese, and no 13th for the Westerners.

No such mollycoddling in most of Taipei, though -- I once rode out a 7.2 earthquake on the 13th floor of a Taipei hotel. In the middle of standing in the open doorway and hanging on for dear life while the dresser drawers slammed in and out of the dresser, I actually had the thought, "Dammit! I'm going to die because I stayed on the 13th floor!"

• 1Interesting
Reactions: Isabeau

Sid

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
We don't do that kind of superstitious stuff as far as I know.
A lot of people over here are superstitious to some degree though.
I only play lottery with tickets that have 17 and a 4 in it. Not that it helped much so far.

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
In Hong Kong, many buildings eliminate several floors to cater to various cultures. So, no 9th or 14th (if I recall correctly) for the Chinese, and no 13th for the Westerners.

No such mollycoddling in most of Taipei, though -- I once rode out a 7.2 earthquake on the 13th floor of a Taipei hotel. In the middle of standing in the open doorway and hanging on for dear life while the dresser drawers slammed in and out of the dresser, I actually had the thought, "Dammit! I'm going to die because I stayed on the 13th floor!"
My younger brother was born on Friday the 13th, our dad claims he had two flat tires on the way taking our mom to the hospital. His 13th birthday 🎂 was also on Friday the 13th and I think the only reason he survived that day was because our dad had his credit card refused and party plans had to move. He got married on Friday the 13th and has been happily married and childless for almost 30 years. He retired very well off at about 50 and is looking for something to do.

I am so fuckin’ jelly!