max Game of Thrones, The Final Season

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Actually, to me - the better "GoTish" argument for Bran being king is that he knows everything and has carefully played everyone ever since becoming the Three Eyed Raven. But, that's just me.
If I was Sansa, that would not convince me.

• 1Like
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Eunoli

SLU Cassandra
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
If I was Sansa, that would not convince me.
To be honest, that whole ending made little sense to me in context with GRRM's vision as he's described it through the books and in blog posts/interviews/etc. I can see Bran ending up with the crown, but I am pretty sure it won't play out that way.

• 1Like
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I still want to know what the Iron Bank in Bravos made of it all. From the way GRRM portrays them in the books, they really don't like bad debts, and Cersei borrowed huge sums from them to pay for the Golden Company or whatever the mercenary army was called.

Unless the gold she paid the mercenaries is still in Westeros then Bran and the new regime are really going to have problems, particularly considering that its still winter and people need feeding, and they've got to rebuild King's Landing.

Zaida Gearbox

I still want to know what the Iron Bank in Bravos made of it all. From the way GRRM portrays them in the books, they really don't like bad debts, and Cersei borrowed huge sums from them to pay for the Golden Company or whatever the mercenary army was called.

Unless the gold she paid the mercenaries is still in Westeros then Bran and the new regime are really going to have problems, particularly considering that its still winter and people need feeding, and they've got to rebuild King's Landing.
But, it was Cercei who borrowed the money - it's not their debt.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
But, it was Cercei who borrowed the money - it's not their debt.
No, it was the reigning monarch of Westeros who borrowed the money. In the books, GRRM makes it very clear that it's very dangerous for a monarch to renege on debts to the Iron Bank because that will not only cut off their future credit with the bank but will also lead to the bank being willing to finance any alternative claimants to the throne who agree to do something about their predecessor's debt.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
Show Iron Bank got paid back after Lannister forces sacked Highgarden. Bran will have to deal with any new debt.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I wonder if the whole thing, given another couple of seasons, would have played out better without Dany and Jon combining forces.

Like Dany was always kind of this far away villain, but everyone loved her too much so they had to make her good and side with Winterfell. (Well, until the end).

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Show Iron Bank got paid back after Lannister forces sacked Highgarden. Bran will have to deal with any new debt.
I've not watched it recently but I'm sure I remember that, in that episode, Cersei presented the Iron Bank chap with the Highgarden gold, and he was delighted (presumably because, by that point, Westeros was looking more and more like a failed state to the Bank), and she then, with a Trump-like opportunism, took advantage of his good-will to tap him for a new loan to hire the Golden Company (very Trump-like) to mop up the remnants of the opposition and Make Westeros Great Again.

ETA: In any case, the legalities don't really matter. If the current ruler of Westeros wants to borrow some money from the Iron Bank to get the country through the winter and to rebuild King's Landing, then he or she had better be prepared to discuss the Bank's loan to Queen Cersei... Otherwise, sorry but we can't help"

Last edited:

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
I wonder if the whole thing, given another couple of seasons, would have played out better without Dany and Jon combining forces.

Like Dany was always kind of this far away villain, but everyone loved her too much so they had to make her good and side with Winterfell. (Well, until the end).
The popular thinking amongst ASoIaF theorycrafters is that by the time Dany gets around to razing King's Landing in the books, it won't be Cersei, but rather, Young Griff, the other (possibly Targaryen, more likely Blackfyre) claimant sitting on the Iron Throne. If this turns out to be correct, having to face a seemingly legitimate alternative claim to "her" throne is going to be a much better trigger for Dany going all fire and blood. Especially if Young Griff turns out as popular as it's suggested he might.

TLDR: D&D screwed Dany's arc by leaving an important late game character on the cutting room floor.

• 1Like
Reactions: Cristalle

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
We're not done with the GoT dissection yet! Lindsay Ellie just posted the first of two videos about the show's ending...

Cristalle

Lady of the House
SL Rez
Joined SLU
July 8, 2008
SLU Posts
To close the book on this series:

It won a ton of creative arts Emmys, for the technical categories like makeup, costuming, etc.
It won the big award for Best Drama, but most of the acting awards shafted the nominees, except for Peter Dinklage, who made history with his fourth win for this character.
It lost in the writing category (deservedly) and in directing (not deservedly. Sorry, Miguel Sapochnik. You got screwed by the bad writing. You're still my favorite.).

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink and Eunoli