hbo Game of Thrones, The Final Season

Zaida Gearbox

Hub says there's a split second right before Tyrion finds Jamie and Cercei's bodies where you can see the shadow of one of the crew.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Gilly was pregnant at the end, however. Presumably, that will be the next Lord Tarly (though I don't see how he could marry her, so it would have to be legitimized first).
I am not so sure about the next Lord Tarly. I think that when he took his vows to father no children and to hold no lands, he thereby renounced his title, and thus to pass it on to his children.

I also very much doubt that Westerosi law -- since it's so strict on illegitimacy and its disqualifications -- would regard Sam and Gilly's baby as legitimate, since I don't see how he can legally marry without being released from his vows.

Westerosi law takes the oath sworn by the Night's Watch very seriously, remember -- joining the Watch is, among other things, an alternative to the death penalty and deserters are summarily executed on sight by whichever lord or lady dispenses justice in those parts. So I can't see how Westerosi law and custom can recognise any form of marriage entered into by someone who has sworn it, and more than it can recognise a bigamous marriage.

Caete

Scientist Lady of Science
SL Rez
Hub says there's a split second right before Tyrion finds Jamie and Cercei's bodies where you can see the shadow of one of the crew.
I have not seen any episodes of GoT.

That said, I find it quite telling that people were paying so much attention to the little things, looking for shadows, coffee cups, water bottles etc that the show's writing and the acting were failing miserably to keep the viewer's attention. I could understand that happening maybe after several repeated viewings but mere seconds after the show is over, screen grabs and debates/tirades are posted.

Personally I am glad I invested 0 in this.

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
I am not so sure about the next Lord Tarly. I think that when he took his vows to father no children and to hold no lands, he thereby renounced his title, and thus to pass it on to his children.

I also very much doubt that Westerosi law -- since it's so strict on illegitimacy and its disqualifications -- would regard Sam and Gilly's baby as legitimate, since I don't see how he can legally marry without being released from his vows.

Westerosi law takes the oath sworn by the Night's Watch very seriously, remember -- joining the Watch is, among other things, an alternative to the death penalty and deserters are summarily executed on sight by whichever lord or lady dispenses justice in those parts. So I can't see how Westerosi law and custom can recognise any form of marriage entered into by someone who has sworn it, and more than it can recognise a bigamous marriage.
I think Bran probably released him from that vow, else he would have been shipped back to the Wall with Jon. Instead, he seems to be the royal maester, complete with chain and a few links. However, maesters do swear a similar vow to that of the Night's Watch, although I don't know if the show ever addressed that.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Cristalle

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I dunno. Bran can pardon him, certainly, for deserting the Night's Watch, breaking his vows and so on. But I'm not so sure he can actually release him from them. And I'm really struggling with the idea that he can retroactively make it as if the Oath had never been taken, which is the only way to undo the fact that when Sam took the Oath, some time before his father's and brother's deaths, he thereby renounced, in perpetuity, his right to the Tarly lands and peerage.

Re-appointing him to the hereditary title wouldn't work either, since he can't be Lord Tarly and Archmaester at the same time, as both are full-time jobs, the former involving not only running and governing the lucrative estate but also important local military duties.

Eunoli

Sam is close to the crown now and there is not a lot of chance that Bran is very upset by bastardy after Jon. I think there's a fairly large chance that he'd legitimize a son of his Grand Maester if asked, and the choice would be entirely his.

Mind you, legitimizing bastards has never worked out well in Westeros. Blackfyres. Ramsey Bolton. It doesn't usually work out very well. But, with an emotionless storyteller as king, I think most of the rules are tossed out now.

• 1Like
Reactions: Roxanne Blue

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
That said, I find it quite telling that people were paying so much attention to the little things, looking for shadows, coffee cups, water bottles etc that the show's writing and the acting were failing miserably to keep the viewer's attention. I could understand that happening maybe after several repeated viewings but mere seconds after the show is over, screen grabs and debates/tirades are posted.
If you think GoT is somehow unique in the levels of nitpicking it gets, have you even paid attention to media in the age of the internet? Seriously, the depths of scrutiny have nothing to do with the final episodes being a bit disappointing and everything to do with the show being one of the biggest (if not the biggest) televisual phenomena ever. People pick and dig over everything. If a piece of media is even vaguely nerdy, then Youtube, Reddit, Twitter, etc. will be awash in commentators obsessing over every detail and mistake. The only thing that makes GoT different is how mainstream a phenomenon it became. It took a particular style of pop culture obsession, once reserved for the geekiest of geeks and made it something done by everyone. Even if the last couple of seasons of GoT turned out to be the greatest piece of media humankind had ever created, people would be digging over every little detail in exactly the same way they are now. To think this has something to do with the end being a bit of a letdown only shows that you know nothing (John Snow).

I don't regret my time spent watching GoT. Yes, it dribbled off towards the end but that doesn't take away from the fact that I got a lot of enjoyment out of it over the years. Even the last couple of years have been fun in their own way.

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts

AFAICT this appears to be a real news station's site....
That's just clever marketing by the counselling service; make a tongue in cheek press release about counselling for GoT fans, get yourself some column inches so people read your url.

Ava Glasgow

Ava Ava hot like lava
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I'm not completely sure what the leader of the Knights of the Vale (Yohn Royce ?) was doing there, either, since the head of House Arryn is presumably the sickly boy Robert Arryn, though maybe Ser Yohn is there as Robert's representative and guardian.

Sickly boy Robin (his name in the show) Arryn was the young man next to Royce. I kept wondering who he was until I realized Robin had done grown up. (Don't remember if they both voted though.)

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I couldn't get over how instead of immediately killing Jon and Tyrion after the death of their queen, Greyworm and the overwhelming numbers of dothraki and unsullied (who had to have had near-total control of King's Landing) chose to just imprison them, while apparently calling in everyone from distant lands that they don't particularly care about to help decide the new king, while letting out one of the prisoners to join in on the decision-making and a speech, because why not.

C'mon now.

Halo Minoptra

Not shown in actual size
I am like 90% sure this was entirely done to set up a spin off for her character, since she isnone of the more popular characters overall. It sets up to do literally anything they want and have her wanter around Xena style in a blank slate fantasy land. They could even do some sort of GOT version of Orcs and Elves.
There was also that potential in Season 9, Episode 12 of Doctor Who, when Ashildr (Maisie Williams) and Clara (Jenna Coleman) take off in a spare tardis.

• 1LOL
Reactions: Zaida Gearbox

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Sickly boy Robin (his name in the show) Arryn was the young man next to Royce. I kept wondering who he was until I realized Robin had done grown up. (Don't remember if they both voted though.)

Thanks. I'm not sure either now. I did read somewhere that, altogether, 15 people voted in the election, so the electorate is clearly wider than the heads of 7 (now 6) great houses.