FireStorm Viewer

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
If there was something in the code for the viewer and if it was doing things BAD, LL will ban it, firestorm works with the lab, the code is vetted by lots of people. it's not stealing anything or doing anything.
Most likely not, but is there any guaranty, liability? Nope.
LL would not notice until damage would have been done.

I don't give out payment info (even if it is only linden dollars) and passwords to strangers.
One of the first rules of the good old Interwebs.

Edit to add: Same goes for all third party viewers of course.
I'm not on a crusade against the Firestorm viewer or so.

Last edited:

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
Most likely not, but is there any guaranty, liability? Nope.
LL would not notice until damage would have been done.

I don't give out payment info (even if it is only linden dollars) and passwords to strangers.
One of the first rules of the good old Interwebs.

Edit to add: Same goes for all third party viewers of course.
I'm not on a crusade against the Firestorm viewer or so.
It could easily happen with the LL viewer too. plus the LL viewer currently horrible, dump chui and people like me go back to using it. but if they want to keep that horrible shitty interface, then I guess I stick with the viewer that works and seems to be popular.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
If there was something in the code for the viewer and if it was doing things BAD, LL will ban it, firestorm works with the lab, the code is vetted by lots of people. it's not stealing anything or doing anything.
Nope. Just because many people are looking at something does not exactly mean that many people are auditing something for security breaches, it just increases the possibility somewhat that somebody might stumble upon it. And even if there is something fishy in that does not mean that it will be easily spotted. The viewer is being written in C++, and you can obfuscate a lot if you want to in C++.

The Emerald viewer back in the days was also Opensource, and remember how long it took LL until they banned it, although they knew about different unruly behaviour.

Either you trust the author of something, or you don't. It's that easy.

Last edited:

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
ooo yumzo pasties

• 1Yay!
Reactions: Sid

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
Firestorm just released a beta viewer with EEP capability!

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
FireStorm also sent me a very strong signal to the effect that they do not actually WANT bug reports.
basically nothing new... "please use the Jira" translates to: "If you don't bother to create yet another useless social media account just to tell us about bugs they can't be important enough for us to care."

Firestorm people seem quite confused when you tell them you don't bother to report bugs due to the hassle involved... I sometimes wonder what kind of ivory tower viewer devs live in (HINT: behavioural patterns inherited from customers of agile programming solutions do not fly well with run of the mill end consumers)

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Linden Lab expected you to use the Jira too, and when I was really active there they were really quite responsive to reports: that wasn't where the bottleneck was. That was in management.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Free

she/feline
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
basically nothing new... "please use the Jira" translates to: "If you don't bother to create yet another useless social media account just to tell us about bugs they can't be important enough for us to care."

Firestorm people seem quite confused when you tell them you don't bother to report bugs due to the hassle involved... I sometimes wonder what kind of ivory tower viewer devs live in (HINT: behavioural patterns inherited from customers of agile programming solutions do not fly well with run of the mill end consumers)
I have a solution: No third party viewers.

:hellokitty:

• 1Agree
  • 1Angry
Reactions: Clara D. and Sid

Sid

Coffee lover.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yes
It could easily happen with the LL viewer too. plus the LL viewer currently horrible, dump chui and people like me go back to using it. but if they want to keep that horrible shitty interface, then I guess I stick with the viewer that works and seems to be popular.
Are there more LL viewers out there?
Because the one I use isn't horrible at all.
It is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Lance Corrimal

Oh I don't have a problem with having to have an account on their jira, and not with having to fill in all those details.

What I absolutely hate is the attitude of one of their devs.
I take the trouble to build from their development sources, see something broken that I believe is a bug, build the previous version, see if it happens in there, narrow it down as closely as possible, and then that person basically shoots me down with "no support for self built viewers"?

Seriously, if i wanted SUPPORT i'd be asking in their inworld group - JIRA for me means I'm past support, and have found what I believe is an actual BUG, and pass it to the devs.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
...as if the Lab ever was an example for best practice...
Where did I say that? My point is even they didn't manage to screw up Jira, so if there's a problem with Firestorm team it's probably not because of Jira.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Tried EEP preview viewer for half a day and dumped it already - the rendering is totally broken for me. EEP itself runs perfectly fine in Kokua and even in Kirsten's viewer via Wine... no idea what FS messed up but if they ain't fix it I will have to dump FS for good once it gets integrated into the official viewer release.

Monica Dream

Welcome Year Zero
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2010
SLU Posts
I'm trying the EEP beta myself.

No windlights -at all.

Does anyone have any idea if it's possible to import/back port them or anything?

Argent Stonecutter

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
I want someone to backport Runitai's water from the old viewer.