Do You Still Care About Second Life?

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
I still log in nearly daily, sometimes poking around an RP sim or two but more often hanging around my Den or Aerie Isle.

Voice? On, always and I do chatter on it occasionally - hell outside of RP (which is always text) I actually prefer voice. Part of that being sight issues with the other part being I do not have any preconceptions on what a particular avatar should sound like.

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Voice has never worked right for me, best results I've had was one person speaking too soft while another was blaring, but more often I get a bunch of indecipherable glitchiness. Maybe now years after my last attempt and a newer computer it'll work better, but being how unsocial I am I'm probably not going to bother.

Turin

SL has become a near daily visit for me. It's a social outlet for me and I spend a lot of time meeting new people. I enjoy talking with people from all over the world and some even in my own little 'neck of the woods'. Any of you feel free to add me (Mickey Valentino) I'm great for dances, weddings, events, hanging out or focused/casual conversations. Ask me today how I can save you 85% off our first meeting. ;)

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Which is one reason I rarely use it. I mean sure, in my case everyone who reads my profile knows I have a male voice, but I do not like my own voice. Yeah I'm premium and have voice morphs available, but I rarely use voice.
I'm in the same boat, in my case that's aggravated by being forced to watch myself talk as a kid (as a part of speech therapy) on closed-circuit tv. As an adult I can't stand to see myself, I can't stand to hear my own voice -the whole situation is like the opposite of relaxing for me.

I'm a touch typist; give me that any day of the week.

[edit] and voice morphing is the stuff of nightmares -dear god. It's terrible. So bad that in almost 9 years of being around voice I've only encountered one person who used it -and they spoke very, very rarely.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
It may be a generational thing regarding voice, at least in part. Everyone on SL I know who is a Millenial or Gen Z prefers voice over text, whereas all of my older friends prefer text over voice.
I think this is true. It's very 'old school SL' to not like voice. I recall when it was new a lot of us were like, 'ew, why, no thank you please.' I guess the changes in the way people relate to each other in the social media era spills over to SL. I notice people try to friend me after just one brief conversation, like it's Facebook. :cautious:

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
.... I do not have any preconceptions on what a particular avatar should sound like.
I don't believe I do either, not intentionally anyway but it's just my wiring.

When what visually looks like a perfectly coiffed Dita Von Teese, it's jarring to hear a voice coming out of it that sounds like Archie Bunker.

Dissonance. :confusedcat:

Brenda Archer

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
Not having to use voice is better for me as I struggle to pick out a conversation where multiple people are talking at once.

Spirits Rising

Quite Blunt
SL Rez
Joined SLU
08/24/2014
SLU Posts
I don't believe I do either, not intentionally anyway but it's just my wiring.

When what visually looks like a perfectly coiffed Dita Von Teese, it's jarring to hear a voice coming out of it that sounds like Archie Bunker.

Dissonance. :confusedcat:
Well, when you're trying to emulate the look of a particular person, I'd expect this sort of thing. It's the far more general case I meant ...

As an example, should the three in this album have any particular sounding voice?

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well, when you're trying to emulate the look of a particular person, I'd expect this sort of thing. It's the far more general case I meant ...

As an example, should the three in this album have any particular sounding voice?
I dunno, should they? What does a biped wolf sound like? I'm speaking generally too. If I meet a tiny fairy and it sounds like a an old man, that's weird. If I see a big muscular jar head guy and he sound like a teenage girl, that's weird.

My point is, Voice in general is just annoying. We haven't even touched on all the background noises; chewing, dogs barking, kids fighting, etc. It's an immersion killer. YMMV. *shrugs.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think this is true. It's very 'old school SL' to not like voice. I recall when it was new a lot of us were like, 'ew, why, no thank you please.' I guess the changes in the way people relate to each other in the social media era spills over to SL. I notice people try to friend me after just one brief conversation, like it's Facebook. :cautious:
Second Life has always fostered immediate friendship. And people take it very seriously. I've never gotten used to the newbie expectation that I'll friend them, give them money, let them build their house on my land, and participate in the their wedding the next day.

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Re voice. My husband is constantly, unintentionally scaring the daylights out of me by knocking on the window or door of my detached office. Also, I listen to jazz or baroque music played as low as possible; my office is the only place I get to listen to music. Putting on headphones would make his accidental startling of me even worse. Plus, my side of any conversation, when typed, is more private. With typing, I get more time to reconsider what I'm about to say before saying it, something I don't do as well when running my mouth. Consequently, I think I'm a nicer person in a typed conversation. On the whole, typed conversations in SL are vastly preferable to voice conversations.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Second Life has always fostered immediate friendship.
That hasn't really been my own experience. I noticed a difference over the last 3 years or so; that immediate wanting to friend thing. They get offended too when I've politely explained that I don't do that unless I've gotten to know someone for awhile.

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
That hasn't really been my own experience. I noticed a difference over the last 3 years or so; that immediate wanting to friend thing. They get offended too when I've politely explained that I don't do that unless I've gotten to know someone for awhile.
My little green charm overwhelms people and draws them to me like a falcon swooping onto a field mouse. Perhaps that's not the best imagery to use. I'll have to work on that.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
They get offended too when I've politely explained that I don't do that unless I've gotten to know someone for awhile.
And that serves as a good filter.

My husband is constantly, unintentionally scaring the daylights out of me by knocking on the window or door of my detached office.
If the house isn't on fire or some other emergency we text each other here to get each other's attention to avoid that.

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
A difference in that many more people are trying to 'friend' immediately? Even back when I was far more active in SL, there'd be a quite a few people who'd hit the 'friend' button.

Ellen Cordeaux

Lurky Loo
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
A difference in that many more people are trying to 'friend' immediately? Even back when I was far more active in SL, there'd be a quite a few people who'd hit the 'friend' button.
I guess it depends on a lot of different factors; like where you hang out or wuteva. For me it's a new experience.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
Only until i can manage to smuggle a certain Canadian into the US.

Then we won't have to use SL for the . . . er . . . stuff we do >.>

• 1Screwdriver
Reactions: PandoraB