Coronavirus Updates

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, researchers have tested a wide range of drugs to see if they inhibit the virus. Most of these tests didn't end up going anywhere; even the few drugs that did work typically required concentrations that would be impossible to achieve inside human cells. And a few (looking at you, ivermectin and chloroquine) took off with the public despite iffy evidence for effectiveness, seemingly causing nearly as many problems as they would have solved if they actually worked.

Nevertheless, two years on, word of yet another one of these drug experiments caused a bit of a stir, as the drug in question was a cannabinoid. Now, the full data has gone through peer review, and it looks better than you might expect. But the number of caveats is pretty staggering: the effect is small, it hasn't been tested in patients, the quality assurance of commercial cannabidiol (CBD) products is nearly nonexistent, and—probably most importantly—another cannabinoid blocks the effect entirely.

Romana

The Timeless Child
SL Rez
Or ask your doctor for a prescription of this.
Helps with allergies, too. Win -win.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I would tell those damnable idiot anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers, if I felt like starting an argument, that I still don't feel 100 percent like I did before. And that is with having had the first shot before I got infected.
Don't worry, while I don't feel 100 percent like I did before, I'd say it was around 90 percent.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Our first order was mis-delivered (or stolen off our porch). Guess it can't hurt to order again and see if this one actually reaches us.

• 1Hug
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Well. I guess it's better than shrinkage in brain areas related to cognitive skills. I think we've had enough of that as it is.

The findings, published in Nature, reveal tissue damage and greater shrinkage in brain areas related to smell. This new insight into the damaging effects of COVID-19 will contribute to our overall understanding of how the disease spreads through the central nervous system. Whether these effects persist in the long term, or are partially reversed, requires further investigation.

Research has already shown that COVID-19 may cause brain-related abnormalities, but most studies have focused on hospitalized patients with severe disease, and have been limited to post-infection data. The effects of SARS-CoV-2 on the brain in milder (and more common) cases were unknown until now, and investigating these cases could reveal possible mechanisms that contribute to brain disease or damage.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I'm an Vitamin D pills regular too, subscribed by my internist, to help me somewhat trough my almost yearly winter depressions. And I knew from early on that it might help against covid-19, just like Beebo.

I might have been one of the first in the Netherlands that had Covid 19, because in our region it all started just a few kilometers on the other side of the border in the Region Heinsberg in Germany, where I went shopping a few days before the major outbreak there was reported. And I had a mild cold a few days later.
But there was no test possibilities that early on in the game 2 years ago. I just stayed home and canceled my dentist appointment back then. Maybe D3 helped to keep it mild, who knows.
Never had any symptoms after that (I'm still careful, even when vaccinated and with a booster shot).

Last edited:

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Australia did really well. I’m a bit suspicious about China, because they’re usually reluctant to share info, but who knows, they were quite serious about it.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Rose Karuna and Archer

Chalice Yao

The Purple
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Australia did really well. I’m a bit suspicious about China, because they’re usually reluctant to share info, but who knows, they were quite serious about it.
I mean, yeah, maybe they didn't get many literal *Covid* deaths from it...

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
My question is what justifies this level of government shutdown of even the most essential services? Are they overreacting or do they know something we don't? Such as a variant with a much higher lethality rate?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
The current Covid strains act more like a common cold virus than anything else.
So I like the current Dutch approach: Keep monitoring the situation, but for now act as if covid is a common cold virus, so no real restrictions other than stay at home if you have symptoms.
This autumn there will be most likely a new round of vaccinations available for elder and vulnerable people with altered vaccines, they are ready for production but not yet cleared for use in the EU.