WTF Climate Change News

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Every cloud can has a silver linin’.

Beer 🍺 is nasty 🤢 stuff. I dun’ get how you guys can drink it.
There is beer in endless varieties from bitter to sweet, from almost horse pee to more angelic monastery beer, from non alcoholic to as strong as whine.
When you only have tried the Heineken, Coors or Budweiser mainstream types, I can see your point. I could live without them too.
But the special beers....... the ones one doesn't drink by the gallon and ain't available in every supermarket, those I enjoy tasting every now and then.

Last edited:

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Every time I see that long line of elderly male faces in our Congress, my thoughts start running along the lines of this article. We've got men in their 80s doing everything in their power to shore up their financial well being at the expense of millions of Americans, and you really have to wonder what they're getting out of this cruelty. Cause, you know, they're SO DAMN OLD that their policies will have no real impact on their own lives, which will be over any day now. Even if they live into their 90s, they're covered. They can afford to live comfortably, regardless of tax breaks. There simply isn't enough time left to spend all they've got, much less spend the extra gravy they've cooked up for themselves.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Every cloud can has a silver linin’.

Beer 🍺 is nasty 🤢 stuff. I dun’ get how you guys can drink it.
You and me both!

I went to a bar with a friend. After she had her beer and we were leaving she saw I was not done with my drink so picked up my glass, inhaled the rest of it, then turned an interesting shade of green.

I am guessing beer drinkers just HATE it when they unexpectedly encounter hard cider. :)

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Every time I see that long line of elderly male faces in our Congress, my thoughts start running alone the lines of this article. We've got men in their 80s doing everything in their power to shore up their financial well being at the expense of millions of Americans, and you really have to wonder what they're getting out of this cruelty. Cause, you know, they're so DAMN OLD that their policies will have no real impact on their own lives, which will be over any day now. Even if they live into their 90s, they're covered. They can afford to live comfortably, regardless of tax breaks. There simply isn't enough time left to spend all they've got, much less spend the extra gravy they've cooked up for themselves.
Exactly! Take the report about 2040. Baby boomers will be dying off by then. Gen X will be retiring or getting ready to. Anything long term should really be decided by the people it will affect.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
There is beer in endless varieties from bitter to sweet, from almost horse pee to more angelic monastery beer, from non alcoholic to as strong as whine.
When you only have tried the Heineken, Coors or Budweiser mainstream types, I can see your point. I could live without them too.
But the special beers....... the ones one doesn't drink by the gallon and ain't available in every supermarket, those I enjoy tasting every now and then.
I can understand why you say that, but... nope. I spent two years in Germany 🇩🇪 when I was a captive of the U.S. Hair Farce and I’ve tried beer 🍻 there and in Spain 🇪🇸 and Amsterdam too. Nope.

Mrs. Tigar kinda considers herself a beer connoisseur and has even made her own beer 🍻 and wine 🍷. It took decades but nowadays I absolutely refuse to even pretend to politely try any beer. I like wine just fine. But beer? Nope nope nope!

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Sid

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
You and me both!

I went to a bar with a friend. After she had her beer and we were leaving she saw I was not done with my drink so picked up my glass, inhaled the rest of it, then turned an interesting shade of green.

I am guessing beer drinkers just HATE it when they unexpectedly encounter hard cider. :)
I love 💕 hard cider! The more harder the more better!

ETA: Mrs. Tigar reminds me that I like most of the Lambic ales, and that they somehow count as beer.

Last edited:

Tigar

🥧 Because Pie 🥧
SL Rez
Joined SLU
💨 💨 🥧
SLU Posts
I was about ta mention how much I like mead, but between climate warming and pesticides, there ain’ gonna be much more mead, nor tomatoes 🍅 nor flowers 💐 nor many other veggies 🌽.

ETA: Way back when I was a a child, mai dad had a garden, it took up ‘bout 1/2 the back yard. I useta go out there and nom the ‘maters 🍅 right off the vine... I’d dig up the radishes, rinse ‘em off at the outdoor faucet n’ nom ‘em.

I never understood where anyone got the idea that kids didn’ like veggies.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I love 💕 hard cider! The more harder the more better!

ETA: Mrs. Tigar reminds me that I like most of the Lambic ales, and that they somehow count as beer.
I do not drink alcohol all the time but when I do it is something fruity and sweet. I have only had two sips of beer: once as a kid where I immediately decided I hated it and another a few years ago to verify my feelings about it. I really can not understand how anyone thinks the stuff (especially the kinds you normally get in the us) is at all enjoyable. Maybe lambic is different but regular beer .... eww.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
We are so screwed.

'Bad news': CO2 emissions to rise in 2018, says IEA chief

"I'm sorry, I have very bad news for you," IEA Executive Director Fatih Birol told guests at a diplomatic function hosted by the Polish embassy in Paris.

"Emissions this year will increase once again, and we're going to have the COP meeting when global emissions reach a record high," he said, referring to the December UN climate summit in Katowice, Poland.

After remaining flat for three years, total global CO2 emissions in 2017 rose by 1.4 percent, dashing hopes that they had peaked.
This is why I find cheery optimistic posts about increased solar and wind power to be almost irrelevant to discussions about climate change. Our improvements are incremental and we do not have time for incremental change. Radical change, however, is not happening. As a species, we're built to stay with traditional, familiar patterns of behavior, almost at all cost.

Some daring individuals press for change, the majority hangs back warily. Over time, new behaviors are slowly incorporated into the group. So in the aggregate, we're reactive rather than proactive, which is a sound survival strategy for animals. Animals can't predict the future, they can't see ahead and rationally select among different options. So they stay with what works, until it doesn't work anymore.

Humans can look ahead, humans can predict, but we can't easily step away from our animal nature.

Last edited:

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
As long as economic growth is one of the main targets of the governments of all countries around the world, this means almost automatically more output of CO2. Maybe the numbers will be increasing slower than in the past, but still.
We must put more effort in adapting to the new situation. That will be a lot easier than reverse things. (Not that we should not try to do that as well).

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
As long as economic growth is one of the main targets of the governments of all countries around the world, this means almost automatically more output of CO2. Maybe the numbers will be increasing slower than in the past, but still.
We must put more effort in adapting to the new situation. That will be a lot easier than reverse things. (Not that we should not try to do that as well).
Well, the economic system per se is not so much of a problem - okay, economic growth until eternity is impossible due to the limits of exponential growth - but cheap energy and cheap energy sources in reality is.

Our mobility, heating and power generation is heavily dependent on coal and oil. As long as this dependency is not going to be broken, nothing much will change.

The other thing is just that our lifestyle is a burden to the planet; and the more people want to live it, the worse it gets, simple. But who are we to tell million of Chinese and Indian people, who want to live like that that they shouldn't?

Beebo Brink

SL Rez

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Yes, the future looks bright and shiny. :cry:

World on track to lose two-thirds of wild animals by 2020, major report warns | The Guardian
The number of wild animals living on Earth is set to fall by two-thirds by 2020, according to a new report, part of a mass extinction that is destroying the natural world upon which humanity depends.

The analysis, the most comprehensive to date, indicates that animal populations plummeted by 58% between 1970 and 2012, with losses on track to reach 67% by 2020. Researchers from WWF and the Zoological Society of London compiled the report from scientific data and found that the destruction of wild habitats, hunting and pollution were to blame.
Marco Lambertini, director general of WWF, said: “The richness and diversity of life on Earth is fundamental to the complex life systems that underpin it. Life supports life itself and we are part of the same equation. Lose biodiversity and the natural world and the life support systems, as we know them today, will collapse.”