Christianity is in crisis

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
You'll love Kraus :) A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing

:cry:

I lost my oldest son to an aneurysm a few years ago. The depth of my pain and grief could not be expressed in words so I stopped trying. I also found myself unintentionally reading into things because I was grieving. He had this funny, insolent way of saying "Hey" when he called me. I was awakened a few days after he died when I could have sworn I heard his voice saying "Hey" in my ear.

My natural skeptic has dismissed that as an audible hallucination, my impression no doubt driven by grief. I cannot logically accept the idea of an afterlife, which is ok with me. I'm at peace with believing that I just missed him so badly I heard things.

And now, back to topic :D
Hopefully it's on Kindle Unlimited and is "free to read".

I've heard my name called before when no one else was there. In broad daylight when I was wide awake. I've seen things I can't explain but know happened (I saw one happen to my mom and her reaction to it). I can't logically accept the idea of an afterlife either. I've just seen things that can't be explained, and it makes me wonder if there isn't something else (not more). Not an "afterlife" but a different form of life. Maybe, in a few billion years or so, some of us will be "reborn" on some other planet. There is some truth to the phrase "we are stardust". We just won't ever know.

Supernovas. Mini Big Bangs?

I'm trying to think of a time period in history when Christianity wasn't in some big crisis or other. There don't seem to be any of any consequence.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Yup this - as humans we work with our hands, so in order to sell the story that you're "doing something", especially something that's invisible, you have to be using your hands to do the thing. Extra points for making an effort-face to show that you're working really hard.
I have this image of a guy trying to dig a hole with an invisible shovel. Where's the hole?

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Do you remember telepriest Peter Popoff and his divine inspirations? Which weren't so divine any longer after James Randi exposed them?

Guess what? Popoff is still in the business... doing well, amongst other things he is selling overpriced tap water as miracle spring water, despite being revealed back then as a scam. Stupidity obviously never dies... long.

Last edited:
  • 1Sad
Reactions: Govi

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
Do you remember telepriest Peter Popoff and his divine inspirations? Which weren't so divine any longer after James Randi exposed them?

Guess what? Popoff is still in the business... doing well, amongst other things he is selling overpriced tap water as miracle spring water, despite being revealed back then as a scam. Stupidity obviously never dies... long.

That last woman in the first video almost fell because he let go of her. He had to grab her arm quick to keep her on her feet.

These people are willingly blind, deaf and dumb.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Govi

detrius

Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
I'm not a believer, but I think if I were and in need of some sort of "spiritual guidance", the last person I'd seek out would be a priest.

Because the people who become priests tend to be the kind of people who are "in search of god" themselves - and those who claim to have found the answers are usually crazy, frauds, or both.

You'd be much better off if you just talked to a good cook instead - because cooking is a process of creation, it requires empathy and adresses an essential human need. You can also see (or taste) the results.
Plus you might learn how to make an omelette.

Last edited:

Casey Pelous

Senior Discount
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
February, 2011
SLU Posts
Well obviously. They need to do it the evil way.
Well sure, but, my gosh, you have to have a really strong ceiling for the trapeze, chainsaws are expensive, there's the whole issue of nylon vs. silk, and how do you even find a German Shepherd who can be trained to .........................................

What.

Why's everybody looking at me weird?

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Well sure, but, my gosh, you have to have a really strong ceiling for the trapeze, chainsaws are expensive, there's the whole issue of nylon vs. silk, and how do you even find a German Shepherd who can be trained to .........................................

What.

I don't know Brain but I don't think rutabagas can wear stockings...NARF!

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Hopefully it's on Kindle Unlimited and is "free to read".

I've heard my name called before when no one else was there. In broad daylight when I was wide awake. I've seen things I can't explain but know happened (I saw one happen to my mom and her reaction to it). I can't logically accept the idea of an afterlife either. I've just seen things that can't be explained, and it makes me wonder if there isn't something else (not more). Not an "afterlife" but a different form of life. Maybe, in a few billion years or so, some of us will be "reborn" on some other planet. There is some truth to the phrase "we are stardust". We just won't ever know.

Supernovas. Mini Big Bangs?

I'm trying to think of a time period in history when Christianity wasn't in some big crisis or other. There don't seem to be any of any consequence.
If you're interested in that sort of stuff, I would stringly suggest PBS Space Time but I should warn it's pretty hard core. You won't need an advanced degree to understand it, but you do need to stay focused and the shows build on each other.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: WolfEyes

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU

What.

I'm still trying to figure out where we can get a duck and a hose at this hour.

WolfEyes

SL Rez
Joined SLU
If you're interested in that sort of stuff, I would stringly suggest PBS Space Time but I should warn it's pretty hard core. You won't need an advanced degree to understand it, but you do need to stay focused and the shows build on each other.
Every night I fall asleep with How the Universe Works binging.

Thanks. Hopefully I won't lose signal while trying to watch PBS since we don't have cable.

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Every night I fall asleep with How the Universe Works binging.

Thanks. Hopefully I won't lose signal while trying to watch PBS since we don't have cable.
You'll probably want to/have to watch their YouTube channel, starting from the beginning since the episodes sort of build on each other (although they're reasonably understandable out of order as well).

• 1Like
Reactions: Cindy Claveau

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Oh my, "Evangelicals"...

We told you reformation was the way to heresy and hell...

... not that we Catholics are any better...

BUT WE F*IN TOLD YOU 500 YEARS AGO... JESUS F*IN CHRIST!