LOL! Boooooooks

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Sad, but not surprising.

In a place like Washington—small, interconnected, erudite, gossipy—being well-read can create certain advantages. So, too, can seeming well-read. The “Washington bookshelf” is almost a phenomenon in itself, whether in a hotel library, at a think tank office or on the walls behind the cocktail bar at a Georgetown house.

And, as with nearly any other demand of busy people and organizations, it can be conjured up wholesale, for a fee.
Books by the Foot, a service run by the Maryland-based bookseller Wonder Book, has become a go-to curator of Washington bookshelves, offering precisely what its name sounds like it does. As retro as a shelf of books might seem in an era of flat-panel screens, Books by the Foot has thrived through Democratic and Republican administrations, including that of the book-averse Donald Trump. And this year, the company has seen a twist: When the coronavirus pandemic arrived, Books by the Foot had to adapt to a downturn in office- and hotel-decor business—and an uptick in home-office Zoom backdrops for the talking-head class.

• 1Eye Roll
Reactions: Innula Zenovka

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sad, but not surprising.

It's an old industry, every since [at least] the enlightment, and before even that. I would propose many of the books in stately British mansions and countryhouses built in Georgian and Victorian times bought books, copies of paintings, and home furnishings by the yard through carefully consulted proxies.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I've been reading Network Effect: A Murderbot Novel by Martha Wells.

It feels like there's been 20 dozen stories about Murderbot so far (actually, there's been 6). I read 1 and 2 a while back but jumped to this one (5) because $2.99 novel sale price is better than $10.99 novella prices!

Not anything in the story all that surprising or innovative as far as Murderbot stories go. It's just more Murderbot, which is fine and dandy as far as I'm concerned.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Would certainly cut down on page count in Lord of the Rings.

• 1Agree
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Khamon and Isabeau

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Finally, and perhaps most important, the American reader will harbor no preconceived notions of the word maman. We will understand it with ease, but it will carry no baggage, it will plant no unintended seeds in our head. The word will neither sway us to see Meursault as overly cold and heartless nor as overly warm and loving. And while some of the word’s precision is indeed lost for the English-language reader, maman still gives us a more neutral-to-familiar tone than “mother,” one that hews closer to Camus’s original.

Erich Templar

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
"Today, Mama died."

All those publishers can feel free to pay me for solving this supposedly insoluble problem.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Isabeau and Clara D.