LOL! Boooooooks

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
"Today, Mama died."

All those publishers can feel free to pay me for solving this supposedly insoluble problem.
The ordering of words in Camus’s first sentence is no accident: today is interrupted by Maman’s death. The sentence, the one we have yet to see correctly rendered in an English translation of “L’Étranger,” should read: “Today, Maman died.”
lolsuite from Ryan Bloom incoming.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
I agree. If it has to be completely translated to English, mama would be the better word. I do like it, though, with ‘maman’.

Sometimes I wonder what authors, or painters for that matter, think about when they see their work endlessly discussed in such minute detail.

I don’t know if I would have liked to be a translator. I would have wanted to explain each word I chose over an other, ha.

Nothing worse than a bad translator to ruin a book.

• 1Agree
Reactions: Clara D.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
This looks interesting

in every Black book that won a medal, or every Black film that won an Oscar, there was always a Black person struggling against racial oppression. There are consequences to only lauding such portrayals. Perpetually tying the narrative of Black people and Blackness to slavery, colonisation and oppression meant that Black people – Black children especially – were denied the chance to see ourselves as heroes with agency over our worlds. And non-Black people were denied the chance to root for us, only feeling pity and, of course, relief that they were not Black.

This is the reason I became a writer. I wanted to create a fantasy world on par with the ones in my favourite books from childhood: The Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia and Harry Potter. I wanted to put Black and brown people at the forefront of this world; and women, who have so often been pushed to the periphery of fantasy, at the very centre. In the tradition of my favourite Black female authors, such as Toni Morrison, Octavia E Butler and Zora Neale Hurston, I wanted to create spaces where I could hold up Black people, especially Black and brown women, to ensure that they too were seen through the lens of the fantastic, that they too could be fairies, mermaids or creatures of myth.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Isabeau

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
What the...

This is both hilarious and horrible.

Swedes expressed outrage online this week after an investigation revealed the often poor quality of audiobooks produced by the state-funded Swedish Agency for Accessible Media (MTM) for people who are visually impaired or have reading disabilities.

In a short documentary uploaded to YouTube titled “Agency of Napping and Noise,” independent journalist Finn Hellman presents a collection of especially egregious examples from his six months of research. In one clip, the narrator of the novel It Would Be Night in Caracas can be heard literally sleeping for a couple of minutes before picking up again. In another, bizarre screeching noises can be heard in the background.

Hellman’s investigation also found that narrators repeated sentences sometimes multiple times and that in some cases entire chapters of books were missing. Common Swedish words were apparently consistently mispronounced by some narrators as well.

Isabeau

Merdeuse
What the...

This is both hilarious and horrible.

How frustrating, especially if they are at a pivotal part of the story. Still, haha.

I’ve had a taxi driver fall asleep at the wheel and I only noticed when I heard him snore. A little more dangerous, and I only laughed about it later when I was safe and sound - out of said taxi.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
So Nabokov was a DC fan? :hellokitty:

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU