All things Linux

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
I started moving back to using Linux full time but at this point the Windows Terminal is good enough that I am not really seeing the point.

If I really need to do something Pure Linux, I can SSH to my project machine, which is just an old desktop sitting under a desk. I do need to update it though. It's running 32bit hardware and that occasionally becomes a dead stopping point on projects.
I am somewhat leery of Microsoft's WSL. Embrace, extend, extinguish is something that I'm still not quite sure they aren't working toward.

• 1Disagree
Reactions: Free

Lance Corrimal

You had me at NetworkManager.

When I was supporting a RH network we always disabled Network Mangler unless on a laptop because it was kind of needed for Wifi. But that was several years ago and I hear it's harder to do that now.

PS: #^&*@^ cmake
oh (at least on openSUSE) you can easily make do without network manager, but the computer I'm talking about is in fact a laptop - and you gotta love what the combination of network manager, firewalld and openvpn can do by now. but i remember telling my class "turn off networkmanager before you start anything else" from when I was still teaching red hat classes based on RHEL6... XD

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
oh (at least on openSUSE) you can easily make do without network manager, but the computer I'm talking about is in fact a laptop - and you gotta love what the combination of network manager, firewalld and openvpn can do by now. but i remember telling my class "turn off networkmanager before you start anything else" from when I was still teaching red hat classes based on RHEL6... XD
Reminds me of my earlier days of using Ubuntu (I got started with Feisty). It didn't take me long to learn to get rid of Network-Manager and use wicd instead. Fast-forward to today, and none of the issues I've had with earlier Network-Manager seem to plague me now. I've had absolutely no issue with it these days. It's kinda like PulseAudio - a pain in the ass in its early days, but has greatly matured and come of age today.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I had nightmares with that. I don't need it right now. It works now does it? Good to know.
It works quite well these days. I haven't had to muck about with it at all over the past few years, except recently to add a Bluetooth module to it so I could use my laptop's Bluetooth with my headset.

• 1Like
Reactions: Essence Lumin

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I had nightmares with that. I don't need it right now. It works now does it? Good to know.
It works well enough since Lennart Poettering handed over the project leadership to somebody else years ago who do know how to do their job, before it was a major PITA and clusterfuck. Like with most projects started by Poettering by the way. That's why most people who know him are not really comfortable with him being in charge of the development of an init system replacement.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I remember trying to set up PulseAudio so I could DJ/stream with it in Second Life back around 2011.

:slu:

It was easier to get WinAmp up and running in Wine - and it worked!

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I remember trying to set up PulseAudio so I could DJ/stream with it in Second Life back around 2011.

Mixxx, while I find the UI annoying and ugly, it does work. It can even do that beatmatching thing.

If you're willing to use JACK and get it working with Pulseaudio, then IDJC is easier to use and I prefer the UI.

Free

Antifa-tigued
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I use Windows these days. Solved all my problems...

(A note for follow-up repliers: I didn't request help. I noted I had problems with PulseAudio 9 YEARS AGO.)

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts

I remember trying to get PulseAudio to behave itself while running Second Life back around 2009, especially with SLVoice running! I think at one point I gave up, ripped out PulseAudio, and just ran straight ALSA for a while.

"When (it) was good, (it) was very, very good, When (it) was bad, (it) was horrid."

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
You know ALSA was the reason in 2005 why Jamie Zawinski was so frustrated over Linux, because he could not get his sound card running at all, that he gladly switched over to a Mac.

Remember last week, when I tried to buy exactly the same audio card that 99.99% of the world owns and convince Linux to be able to play two sounds at once? Yeah, turns out, that was the last straw. I bought an iMac, and now I play my music with iTunes.
This took... let me see... just about zero effort. Well, I still have to go buy some longer audio cables, but that's it.

I plugged a mouse with three buttons and a wheel into the Mac, and it just worked without me having to read the man page on xorg.conf or anything. Oh frabjous day.

Go ahead and say "I told you so" if it makes you feel better.

And here's his rant about ALSA:

Ok, so having acquired an 1/8"-to-RCA, it turns out that yes, the SB0410 will provide S/PDIF out. However, it has the same problem that the CMI8738 had, which is, I can't play two sounds at once.
This may be related to the fact that the only XMMS setting that will produce audio is the OSS driver; all other options produce "please check your sound card settings."

Even when XMMS is not running, Flash applets still can't make noise.

I can't believe I even have to think about this shit. What year is it again?

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
I remember trying to get PulseAudio to behave itself while running Second Life back around 2009, especially with SLVoice running!
That was easy! What you had to do was disable fmod by commenting out a single line in the script that starts up SL!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I kill me. Grid knows where I found out about the fmod issue, might have been in the old LINUX.readme included with the tarballs. It eventually got fixed, then you had to stop disabling fmod because you would have issues THEN.

"When (it) was good, (it) was very, very good, When (it) was bad, (it) was horrid."
Oh yes. I stopped having to manually edit pulse files in 2012 with Fedora 17.

You know ALSA was the reason in 2005 why Jamie Zawinski was so frustrated over Linux, because he could not get his sound card running at all, that he gladly switched over to a Mac.

Ok, so having acquired an 1/8"-to-RCA, it turns out that yes, the SB0410 will provide S/PDIF out. However, it has the same problem that the CMI8738 had, which is, I can't play two sounds at once.

Yeah, ALSA was originally designed when only a single application tended to be using audio at a time. I think I once got it working with multiple sounds, but it sounded horrible and had distortion.

This may be related to the fact that the only XMMS setting that will produce audio is the OSS driver; all other options produce "please check your sound card settings."
IIRC you had to have the alsa-libs installed to enable ALSA support in XMMS when you compiled it. By default it used OSS. Even today you have to install the xmms-pulse package to get it to be able to use pulseaudio properly. If you don't it uses ALSA, which works because pulse has an ALSA compatibility layer, but not optimally.

Even when XMMS is not running, Flash applets still can't make noise.

Yeah, you had to go into flash-settings and set the audio output, for some reason flash didn't use the system default.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Desktop environment lovers got a nice gift shortly before christmas: at 22/12/2020 the new 4.16 version of the Xfce desktop environment was being officially released after only around 1 1/2 years of development, which for the project is lightning fast compared to other release cycles.

Xfce always followed a more steady, but slow release cycle. Some releases took up to 4 years before they were being finished. Since Xfce though moved away from cgit/gitolite to their own hosted Gitlab source code repository this really improved developer engagement a lot.

The change log this time therefore shows tons of entries: Xfce 4.16 Changelog – Xfce

The most significant changes are though getting rid of the last bits of GTK2 support code, improved power management, streamlining the icon scheme, improved window manager and much, much more.

And here's an online tour showing the most significant changes: Xfce 4.16 tour – Xfce

• 1Yay!
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Clara D. and Fionalein

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
JWZ was wonderfully sarcastic about this.

SL Rez
SLU Posts
JWZ was wonderfully sarcastic about this.

If this post is any indication, the jwz.org post should be taken with a large grain of salt.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Isn't JWZ out of the Linux programming camp since he wrote "Fuck the skull of ALSA" in 2005, and a devout Mac lover since then?

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
He's still the primary maintainer of xscreensaver.

Also:
You can't ask people to not do what they want to do and what they expect to be able to do.
Sure you can. Want isn't need.