12 Story Hirise Collapses In Miami Beach

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
I've read about a number of native island communities and communities located in inlets along the East Coast. And there were coastal Chumash villages north of where Los Angeles is now.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
There were villages all along the Pacific coast. As well as a significant trade network based on seagoing boats, even in the rough waters on the Oregon/Washington/BC coasts.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
You'll find all sorts of villages directly on the sea or very close to it in Norway and Greece, given the mountainous landscape and lack of arable land.

They're not built on marshes or flood plains, however.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
I've read about a number of native island communities and communities located in inlets along the East Coast. And there were coastal Chumash villages north of where Los Angeles is now.
There weren't any permanent settlements on the coast itself. They did not build on beaches.
 

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Chumash villages near the tideline have been depicted, but they weren't super-permanent structures.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
You're thinking way more recently than I am.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
You're thinking way more recently than I am.
The first European explorers to reach the Pacific Coast recorded many villages consisting of clusters of plank houses facing the ocean.

The timbers do not preserve well but middens made of discarded shells indicate thousands of years of occupation of the coast.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Lexxi

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
I'm just saying that they didn't build in certain places because they knew better. Unlike the builders of the past 200 years or so. They knew being on the coast was not smart because hurricanes (for example), even if they didn't know what a hurricane was, they knew there were very strong storms that they would not survive. There were also places that were considered scared land or hunting grounds they did not live in. I think the reasons why are pretty obvious.

I find it rather amusing you all are banking on white history records and not the knowledge of someone who is indigneous.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Soen Eber

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
One of my dad's friends growing up was a Chinook storyteller. Tribes on the Pacific coast have oral histories that reflect a long association with the sea.

Archeology confirms long occupation. Tools used to build plank houses were developed by coastal tribes using easily available local materials.

In much of the Pacific Northwest there is very little land to build on between the water and the mountains. And the most reliable food source was the ocean. Plank longhouses can weather typical Pacific storms. Other seafaring people used them (Viking settlements included similar structures). It kept people near their boats, which provided food, trade, and resources.

So please forgive me for accepting multiple strands of evidence that fucking boatload of tribes on the Pacific coast lived on the fucking Pacific coast including the oral histories of Pacific Coast peoples over your automatic authority over every topic on indigenous peoples.

eta: The largest settlements were in bays or sounds that offered protection from the worst storms but before we start splitting hairs, these protected harbors are part of the ocean.
 

Soen Eber

Vatican mole
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
4,062
I will say that a simple wooden structure on a beach is quite different than a 12 story highrise. Especially one built by corrupt parties building cheap for people who could just afford 80's prices but would've been priced out by today.

And I also seriously doubt Native Americans would have had to hubris to build major cities on sand dunes (Atlantic coast) and marshes several feet below sea level (New Orleans). I don't know why people are so arrogant nowadays. Greed, I guess, and living financial quarter to financial quarter.

And neither are the ones I was pointing to in Norway and Greece. Maybe 3 stories at best, and with reasonable protection from the worst of the sea in sheltered areas.
 

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
4,502
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2009
I will say that a simple wooden structure on a beach is quite different than a 12 story highrise. Especially one built by corrupt parties building cheap for people who could just afford 80's prices but would've been priced out by today.

And I also seriously doubt Native Americans would have had to hubris to build major cities on sand dunes (Atlantic coast) and marshes several feet below sea level (New Orleans). I don't know why people are so arrogant nowadays. Greed, I guess, and living financial quarter to financial quarter.

And neither are the ones I was pointing to in Norway and Greece. Maybe 3 stories at best, and with reasonable protection from the worst of the sea in sheltered areas.
Thank you. That's what I was trying to say.
 
  • 1Hug
Reactions: Soen Eber

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,158
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
35836