How COVID-19 is affecting society

Shiloh Lyric

Staying Woke
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
937
Location
A virtual world. And Pennsylvania.
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
August, 2008
Zaida Gearbox Shiloh Lyric Just one more thing about Centralia... I know the area very well. If you still want to go, and get the most out of it, now that graffiti road is gone, here's what you do:

Next to Centralia is a town called Ashland. It's a typical run down old coal town, less than 5 minutes from Centralia. There's a few bars, and a mom and pop pizzaria down town called Fabrizios. Stop in at that pizzaria for a late lunch when it's quiet (I highly recommend their brushetta). Sit at the bar, tip the barkeep well, and ask them about Centralia. They will tell you all the legends and history of the place, and what's still there. You can still see two old grave yards, and the old masonic cornerstone is there. If you go to the big pile of rubble, you can put your hand in a vent that puts out hot, wet steam all year round, but be careful if you do. That steam can burn if you leave your hand there too long, or put your hand in the hole too deep.

Edited to add: Talk to the people in Ashland, but for gods sake, stay away from Centralia residents! There are still a handful up there, and they aren't friendly. Just leave them be. Try to respect anything you think may be a property line.
Thank you. I've been to that area several times. Just have never actually been to Graffiti Road. We usually go to Elysburg to Knoebel's at least once a summer, and have stopped at Ashland a couple of times just doing that. Then, when my mom lived above Lockhaven up until a few years ago, I always took that way, also. :)
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: bubblesort

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
Thoughtful article in The Times:


It seems to be essentially a survey of what very experts and think-tanks have suggested are likely to be the long-term effects of covid-19, in areas ranging from the structures of global power and influence, to the world and national economies, to domestic taxation and to the prospects for Universal Basic Income, the future of cash and of homeworking.

It suggests -- and I think it's significant it's a sober, Conservative and establishment paper like The Times saying this -- that, whatever the US government has to say about it, many foreign governments already consider, on the basis of the last 3 years in general and the last 3 months in particular, China to be a more reliable and consistent global partner than is the US.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459


Also, for fuck's sake.
Exactly.

Sadly, it came as absolutely no surprise, along with his other exploits



The Times' article to which I linked suggests

Kurt Campbell and Rush Doshi, of the Council on Foreign Relations, observe that the pandemic “has amplified Trump’s instincts to go it alone and exposed just how unprepared Washington is to lead a global response”.

Global orders have a tendency to change gradually at first then all at once, they add, suggesting that the virus could be a “Suez” moment for the US, marking its decline as a world power.
I wonder if there isn't something in that Suez parallel.

We shall see, I guess.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
I'm surprised they do that. Here in Portland, if someone dies with no money, no family or friends they cremate the body.
I believe it's so that if family for the deceased is discovered at a later time, they can exhume the body and place it in their care for burial elsewhere, perform whatever rites they follow, etc.
 
  • 1Thanks
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Archer and Essence Lumin

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,702
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
He just cannot help himself. And what else is he gonna do, get a real job?!

 

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
6,158
SL Rez
2002
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
35836

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
Other than trumpraging, I've been pretty calm and detached during this pandemic. But this... this got the water works flowing suddenly.

Coronavirus Healthcare Workers Are Putting Their Photos on PPE So Patients See Their Smiles

If I were sick being treated by people rendered anonymous in all but name, it would make me feel even more isolated and miserable. Being able to at least see what the person looks like behind the mask would be tremendously re-assuring.

You'd think for someone who spends so much time behind avatars that masks wouldn't bother me so much.

But they do.
 

Jopsy Pendragon

*Very* disappointed with 2026 so far.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
3,205
Location
San Diego CA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2007
SLU Posts
11308
He just cannot help himself. And what else is he gonna do, get a real job?!

EVERY fraud pushing a COVID-19 cure should be promptly 'volunteered'' to being exposed to COVID-19 to demonstrate its efficacy.
 

Arkady Arkright

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2018
Messages
814
I can relate. I have been working from home off and on for years. My husband retired about 18 months ago and yes, it's almost exactly how you describe it. Except he watches Gold Rush instead of Criminal Minds. Also, it's Florida and he doesn't always wear clothes. Needless to say, I had to put black tape over the camera in my laptop. :eek: At Christmas, he bought me a sign that lights up and it says "in the zone", so we've come to an agreement, if the sign is on, then I'm busy and whatever it is, needs to wait.
I recall someone who's husband decided to retire early and was then hanging round the house all day saying "I married him for life, not for lunch !".
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
I recall someone who's husband decided to retire early and was then hanging round the house all day saying "I married him for life, not for lunch !".
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and he'll bore you about it endlessly but at least it gets him out of the house".