Brexit.

Luisa Land

as for scotland and the EU I remember a scene at the European Parliament 2016 (I think after the brexit-referendum when the majority in Scotland voted "remain") 2016
a scottish Member of the European Parliament with a short speech

here it is

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
If only 10% of the people who searched for moving to Canada in the US and UK actually would do so, that country would be packed with people just like NL, in no time.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
  • 1ROFL
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Eunoli and Brenda Archer

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I've heared an interesting opinion about the GE in the UK: the youth up to 30 years old tends to move to the big cities, so are missing in the rural areas to vote. Since it is a direct mandate only voting system with winner takes it all this results in bigger cities more leaning towards Labour, while the consituencies in the more rural areas where the youth has been missing more easy for the Tories to win since there are mostly middle aged and elderly people living in, and you only need a simplle majority to take the seat.

So this choice of the youth to live mostly in big cities distorted the outcome of the GE until to a certain degree compared to a system where you would have proportional representation.

Question to our fellow Brits: is this really a thing, and if to, what was probably the impact of this? Thanks.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head
Maybe this will some to try to understand why some of the votes went the way they did.

General election 2019: How the undecideds cast their vote - and why
Well reading some of those 'reasons' just about makes me cry. The absence of thought.....

Aside from Brexit and attempting to fulfil the democratic decision to leave the EU, I believe that the Conservative party are the best custodians of our economy and will better support my family and business interests.
Which could be rephrased as apart from trashing the economy, the tories are better custodians of the economy.

Or this:
the emphasis on police powers to stop and search "people who have had anything to do with knife crime
When deciding who to stop and search the police cannot use their magic powers of determining who is involved in knife crime. Instead they can only act on their suspicions and their suspicions always fall on minorities more than anyone else.

Or this:
"I also think it is good they are introducing more police officers, nurses and more GP appointments."
Introducing more police and nurses, after they were responsible for cutting their numbers in the first place and their pledged increased (spread over many years) wont even bring the numbers back to the old pre-tory cut levels.

If these are there reasons for voting conservative then we are utterly fucked because their reasons fly in the face of reality.

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I've heared an interesting opinion about the GE in the UK: the youth up to 30 years old tends to move to the big cities, so are missing in the rural areas to vote. Since it is a direct mandate only voting system with winner takes it all this results in bigger cities more leaning towards Labour, while the consituencies in the more rural areas where the youth has been missing more easy for the Tories to win since there are mostly middle aged and elderly people living in, and you only need a simplle majority to take the seat.

So this choice of the youth to live mostly in big cities distorted the outcome of the GE until to a certain degree compared to a system where you would have proportional representation.

Question to our fellow Brits: is this really a thing, and if to, what was probably the impact of this? Thanks.
It would not surprise me as you see this effect in the US. Youth and more left leaning people in general tend to abandon the more widespread areas of rural areas and concentrate in cities. So even though the overall numbers are the same you wind up with lots of voting districts with less voters on the left. You can almost pick out cities by looking at voting maps.

• 1Agree

Stora

SL Rez
General election 2019: Labour leadership takes blame over result

Jeremy Corbyn and John McDonnell have apologised over Labour's "catastrophic" defeat in Thursday's election, which saw them lose 59 seats.
Mr Corbyn said he was "sorry that we came up short", while Mr McDonnell told the BBC he "owns this disaster".
The leader and shadow chancellor said they would step down in the new year.

Labour suffered its worst election result since 1935 on Thursday and saw its vote share fall by eight points.
Labour leadership takes blame over election result

• 1Thanks

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
What else to expect from the Tories... you are now getting the salami-slice strategy until it is being established.

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
He doesn't need to ad that IMHO.
It takes two to tango.
So if the British side says no extension, there will be a no deal situation at the end of the agreed negotiation period. It doesn't need agreement for that from the EU.
Seems like he doesn't trust the saner part of his own party, that could want an extension if needed.

Bozo wants to play the time pressure card, but he seems to forget over and over that the UK will need the EU more, than the EU needs the UK to stay reasonable afloat.

Interesting times ahead.

Tigger

not on speaking terms with the voices in my head