Joined SLU
Reluctantly
  • 1LOL
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Australians are invading America and the killings have begun.

Bonus, unrelated:

Australians are invading America and the killings have begun.

Ah, a Florida Man story!

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
This really makes Jurassic Park more credible.
Jurassic park was very credible if you've ever seen a live chicken or Turkey. Chickens! Turkeys! FREAKY LITTLE DINOSAURS! The only good dinosaur is a cooked one!

Always Remember Velociraptors and birds are both:

Subgroups
Kingdom:Animalia
Phylum:Chordata
Clade:Dinosauria
Order:Saurischia
Suborder:Theropoda
Clade:Pennaraptora
Clade:Paraves
Sereno, 1997

Velociraptoars are in the Dromaeosauridae

Birds are in the Avialae

Both have feathers, both are FREAKY DINOSAURS

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Jurassic park was very credible if you've ever seen a live chicken or Turkey. Chickens! Turkeys! FREAKY LITTLE DINOSAURS! The only good dinosaur is a cooked one!
I was thinking more in terms of the whole "breeding dangerous animals" part of it being more understandable. Cassowaries are scary.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Not quite sure what to make about this, since the report doesn't give any details that would enable anyone to decide whether firing her was an overreaction or perfectly appropriate. On the one hand, I'm not comfortable with a teaching assistant losing her job over starting a petition, even one with which I disagree, but I also think we must trust the school (or whatever body it was) to respond appropriately based on the evidence of the petition and the teaching assistant's general attitude and work history, to which we don't have access.

Anyway,

School assistant loses job over petition against LGBT teaching

She certainly has a right to freedom of expression under the Human Rights Act, but so do pupils and parents, and the government is allowed to infringe her right to freedom of expression in order to protect its legitimate interests, including protecting the interests of LGBT+ parents, students, and members of the wider community.

• 2Thanks
Reactions: Govi and Ashiri

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I can't imagine what exactly a "pastoral assistant" does so it's hard to evaluate how inappropriate what she did was.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I can't imagine what exactly a "pastoral assistant" does so it's hard to evaluate how inappropriate what she did was.
Counselling and guidance, I think. Presumably some kind of liaison with families may be involved, too.

It's maybe worth noting that the curriculum the school is following is one that, as of next year, all British schools will be required to follow.

Also, at the age her own children seem to be (primary school, so 5 --11), the curriculum to which she objects is one that explores the fact that some families have a mummy and a daddy, some two mummies, some two daddies, some only a mummy and some only a daddy, and seeks to explain to the kids that all these families are equally valid.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon

Kaimi Kyomoon

Persistent Participant
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Counselling and guidance, I think. Presumably some kind of liaison with families may be involved, too.

It's maybe worth noting that the curriculum the school is following is one that, as of next year, all British schools will be required to follow.

Also, at the age her own children seem to be (primary school, so 5 --11), the curriculum to which she objects is one that explores the fact that some families have a mummy and a daddy, some two mummies, some two daddies, some only a mummy and some only a daddy, and seeks to explain to the kids that all these families are equally valid.
And this is a private church school which presumably can fire people who have dissenting views?

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
And this is a private church school which presumably can fire people who have dissenting views?
Which school? She apparently worked (until this incident) at a secondary Academy school (funded by the government and not subject to local authority control), Farmor's School.

The school her children attend is described as a Church of England primary school, which almost certainly means itt was founded by the Church of England but is now funded by the taxpayer, though I think her employers terminated her employment with them because they thought that her posts on social media, in which she objects to her children being taught that same-sex relationships and transgender parents and children are all perfectly normal, reflected badly on her employers.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Kaimi Kyomoon