The 'other' Second Life

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Facebook is proof that you don't need anonymity to be a total fuckwad. Despite the most religiously enforced real name policy on the net, there are multiple "failbook" style sites documenting that people are perfectly willing to be total fuckwads under their own names, so long as they don't think there are any consequences to being a total fuckwad.

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
I almost never, ever use voice in SL. But I find I use voice in Sansar, HIgh FIdelity and other social VR platforms all the time.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
If you're wearing a headset you have to, plus High Fidelity deliberately makes Chat hard to use... you have to install an optional program, it doesn't automatically pick up your HF identity *or* display name, and so on.

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
If you're wearing a headset you have to, plus High Fidelity deliberately makes Chat hard to use... you have to install an optional program, it doesn't automatically pick up your HF identity *or* display name, and so on.
Yeah, I don't agree with how HiFI has handled this. Sansar is MUCH better in supporting chat users (VR users can now see text chat in their headsets).

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I have not been on in ages but you can add me to the pile of not using voice. I don't need all that nonsense like described and frankly, I just express better with text. I've used all sorts of text based internet chat for years and anymore it's just more enjoyable and I feel less "on the spot".

Lance Corrimal

I remember when I started in SL, and I actually did hang out at ahern - a lot. and it was nowhere like infohubs are now.

it was just loads of people hanging out, chatting, and sometimes being goofy.

mind, that was 12 years ago or so.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I remember when I started in SL, and I actually did hang out at ahern - a lot. and it was nowhere like infohubs are now.

it was just loads of people hanging out, chatting, and sometimes being goofy.

mind, that was 12 years ago or so.
This still exists at ahern-sometimes.
Other times, you get the *rejects from the other info hubs*. Think about that for a second.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Kimba

Second Life is becoming a go-to for trolls. It's that simple. There is now an entire troll-culture that celebrates being a troll, and SL is a perfect venue.

• 1ROFL
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Kimba

You're over a decade late with that observation.
No this is something else. Jesus said, "The poor will always be with us." Likewise, the trolls will always be with us. There are trolls in Shakespeare's plays, Iago being the prime example.

The difference is, these people were shunned, not celebrated. Ten years ago, there was no such thing as a famous, hero troll. They didn't brag about their exploits to cheering crowds.

Clara D.

Coffee Squirrel is judging you.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Back in the day.
SLU Posts
The difference is, these people were shunned, not celebrated. Ten years ago, there was no such thing as a famous, hero troll. They didn't brag about their exploits to cheering crowds.
Actually, there have been whole forums and in-world groups dedicated to trolling and content ripping "for the lulz" where people share their tales of victory, stolen items, hacked viewers, and griefing tools . And yes, they've been around for 10+ years. Even the comparatively "benign" infohub trolls that self-reinforce each other, competing for lulz, have been around at least since '06.

Started ~ 2009 on 4chan: Ralph Pootawn | Know Your Meme

Woodbury University Island Destroyed | The Alphaville Herald

And of course, the PN and KG. No, I'm not going to spell those out, last time I did they rather pathetically trolled SLU.

Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Ten years ago there were organizations more put together than a labour union, roaming the grid in groups. Making Youtubes. Reverse engineering the viewer. Poking holes in the physics engine. Sponsoring sims for the Cancer Society's relay.

The difference now is Twitch exists.