Elon f*cks Twitter

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
At rhis point maybe Twitter should just give in to Elon's failed deal and pay him the billion dollars sonits off the table, then ban him. I am sure there is a viable reason in there.
It's the other way around. If the deal falls through, Musk owes them the billion. Their option is to try to force Musk to move forward and then either breech the agreement or call it off himself so the escape clause triggers.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,884
SL Rez
2007
It's the other way around. If the deal falls through, Musk owes them the billion. Their option is to try to force Musk to move forward and then either breech the agreement or call it off himself so the escape clause triggers.
If I was Musk I'd just give them the billion... much cheaper than how much he'd lose buying that company for ~44 when they don't really make that much.... but I don't see any plausible outcome that won't embarrass him. ....he did this to himself.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,458
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
Crazy Elon wants to back out of the deal.


Elon Musk says that Twitter is in “clear material breach” of their $44 billion acquisition deal and that he could “terminate” the agreement in response. In a letter sent to Twitter this morning, Musk’s legal team claims that Twitter has failed to provide him with information on the service’s spam bot problem and that he’s entitled to receive that information under the deal agreement
Something something due diligeance before making the deal.

What a dumbass.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,884
SL Rez
2007
Something something due diligeance before making the deal.

What a dumbass.
He's more impulsive than he is dumb I think. I bet he just smoking weed or something one day and it hit him, he wanted to buy twitter!!!! ...then some time later, he realized this is a horrible idea... so now he's being rational and trying to weasel out of the deal.
 
  • 1Agree
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
He's more impulsive than he is dumb I think. I bet he just smoking weed or something one day and it hit him, he wanted to buy twitter!!!! ...then some time later, he realized this is a horrible idea... so now he's being rational and trying to weasel out of the deal.
I more think he thought he could do a pump and dump and its failed. Considering his behavior from the moment the deal was made, I don't think he actually planned to go through with it.
 

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
Indeed. The deal at this point appears to be designed primarily to make a bunch of lawyers rich. Musk is trying to pin the blame on Twitter to walk away from the deal. Twitter has pointed out that Musk appears to have violated the deal already, especially by attacking Twitter in general and specific employees. He has already clearly manipulated Twitter's share price. That has spawned at least one class action suit by investors, and if this gets messy that can grow.

This is becoming the kind of shitnado that makes for entertaining articles and wealthy attorneys.
 

Free

IZ ADMIN
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
43,693
Location
Moonbase Caligula
SL Rez
2008
Joined SLU
2009
SLU Posts
55565
Oh boy, this idiocy will continue!

Twitter now plans to comply with Elon Musk's demand for user data that he says is needed to determine whether the company's spam estimates are accurate, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.
"After a weeks-long impasse, Twitter's board plans to comply with Elon Musk's demands for internal data by offering access to its full 'firehose,' the massive stream of data comprising more than 500 million tweets posted each day, according to a person familiar with the company's thinking, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the state of negotiations," the Post wrote.

Twitter declined comment on the Post report when contacted by Ars today but pointed to its statement from Monday that "Twitter has and will continue to cooperatively share information with Mr. Musk to consummate the transaction in accordance with the terms of the merger agreement."
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
This is vile... a prospective buyer should never be given such a thing. He can walk away from the deal and still have what he wanted.
You're looking at it differently - Twitter probably doesn't want to sell anymore than Musk wants to buy. So they called his bluff and said 'Sure you can buy us.' and he starts doing all these attacks, against the terms of the deal, then making up reasons not to buy it, and blame it on Twitter so he doesn't have to pay them a billion.

So, they are calling his bluff again, giving him exactly what he's been trying to claim they won't give him.

I predict that he isn't going to end up owning Twitter, and being down a bil, myself. Because he's not near as smart as he thinks he is.

[My mom thinks he's brilliant, and I'm here going 'It doesn't take being brilliant to buy into companies, force a court to retroactively make you a 'founder', et al, it just takes having a rich set of parents; bonus for having rich grandparents too']
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,884
SL Rez
2007
You're looking at it differently - Twitter probably doesn't want to sell anymore than Musk wants to buy. So they called his bluff and said 'Sure you can buy us.' and he starts doing all these attacks, against the terms of the deal, then making up reasons not to buy it, and blame it on Twitter so he doesn't have to pay them a billion.

So, they are calling his bluff again, giving him exactly what he's been trying to claim they won't give him.

I predict that he isn't going to end up owning Twitter, and being down a bil, myself. Because he's not near as smart as he thinks he is.

[My mom thinks he's brilliant, and I'm here going 'It doesn't take being brilliant to buy into companies, force a court to retroactively make you a 'founder', et al, it just takes having a rich set of parents; bonus for having rich grandparents too']
Yeah, I know why twitter is doing it, I'm just saying it shouldn't be allowed... but obviously, as free pointed out, I'm just a peasant who has no say in this kind of thing, haha.
 

Aribeth Zelin

Faeryfox
Joined
Sep 23, 2018
Messages
4,140
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
03-11-2011
SLU Posts
9410
Yeah, I know why twitter is doing it, I'm just saying it shouldn't be allowed... but obviously, as free pointed out, I'm just a peasant who has no say in this kind of thing, haha.
Eh, I doubt Musk has the attention span to sift through -that- much data. I was an admin for a MUCK and had to look at logs because of a complaint. That was so freaking tedious - and sure, apparently there was an easier way to scan, but still tedious because I had to read a lot of to find the incident. Also, if he uses it for something nefarious, then he could end up in jail, billions or no.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Govi

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
5,484
Location
Columbus, OH
SL Rez
2010
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
42
I kinda get the impression that this is a game of hot potato. Neither side really wants the sale to happen at this point but neither side wants to be responsible for calling it off.
 

GoblinCampFollower

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
5,884
SL Rez
2007
Eh, I doubt Musk has the attention span to sift through -that- much data. I was an admin for a MUCK and had to look at logs because of a complaint. That was so freaking tedious - and sure, apparently there was an easier way to scan, but still tedious because I had to read a lot of to find the incident. Also, if he uses it for something nefarious, then he could end up in jail, billions or no.
Oh, I agree he can't really do much of anything with it.... but the fact is it could be used for something nefarious and shouldn't be given out. I suspect he won't actually do anything with it, but if he did, he'd contract some analytics firm that absolutely could misuse it.