- Joined
- Sep 20, 2018
- Messages
- 24,428
- SLU Posts
- 18459
Yes, I understand that, but I don't see how her voting one way or the other on a bill to sanction Russian oligarchs would either help solve the problem or make it worse.The problem is here in the US we have a real and somewhat unacknowledged problem with police of all types seizing money and assets from all classes of society without trial or even charges against the owner under civil asset forfeiture. And the courts have upheld the practice as constitutional even though citizens when informed of particular incidents say that can't be real or how is that legal.
AOC is one of the few politicians who acknowledge the problem is real, so in my mind she gets real credit for that.
The best I can some up with is that, since she knew the motion would pass anyway, she thought it was an opportunity to draw attention to the issue of civil forfeiture, but that seems to me pretty thin, to say the least.
















