How COVID-19 is affecting society

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
It’s the same here in Montreal. Somehow, because our mayor has implemented more bike paths and such just to give alternative modes of transportation during the pandemic (reduce bus and metro users, etc) she’s been attacked by certain types. Strangely, many (most?) are also Covid deniers or think we are all exaggerating.

Explanations based on facts or science don’t seem to make them rethink. Anything associated with the “left” is wrong to them.

Wonder if it’s the same in other countries, states.
Same here in our capital Berlin. I mean Berlin as a city is just an utter desaster, so you cannot expect them to do much right.

One thing though which were implemented in the crisis are temporary bike ways, also in Munich as well. In Berlin though they were done in a way that a court already ruled that it is against the law, so they need to be scrapped.

Plaintiff was our right-wing party, AfD. The AfD is a party where COVID deniers are the vast majority.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
Fuck Bill Kristol. He helped enable the modern Republican party. He wants to talk about empathy? He's responsible for killing the Clinton health care plan in the 90's, and let's not forget him wanting the US to play "My Bodyguard" in the Middle east and attack Iraq...and Iran.

He saw what the Republican party was becoming and didn't care...as long as they supported his preferred middle-east policy.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
The problem with the idea of herd immunity is, a *lot* of people have to die to get to the immunity part (if ever).

“This kind of isolation is one of the unspoken tragedies of the elderly who are now being told don’t see your family at Thanksgiving,” the doctor told Fox News host Martha MacCallum. “For many people this is their final Thanksgiving, believe it or not”
Saying the quiet part out loud.

ETA

Last edited:

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Fuck Bill Kristol. He helped enable the modern Republican party. He wants to talk about empathy? He's responsible for killing the Clinton health care plan in the 90's, and let's not forget him wanting the US to play "My Bodyguard" in the Middle east and attack Iraq...and Iran.

He saw what the Republican party was becoming and didn't care...as long as they supported his preferred middle-east policy.
I understand, I also have people tell me (Including in this forum) what a miserable POS Biden is because of his past positiins. But my take is: people evolve. I have.Even Obama has. A lot of prominent Republicans have. If you never have evolved you might want to pinch Yourself.

Also, I Personally love that the coalition we have built includes both Bill Kristol and Angela Davis.

ETA For some insight into how catastrophes such as we are going through — covid on top of BLM on top of Trump —accelerate evolution in culture and individuals, read up on the Black Death, which experts say accelerated the Renaissance and Enlightenment by a couple of centuries. Or just look at American culture before and after the 1918 Flu.

Some of us, a lot of us, are going to emerge from this shaken to our foundations. Factions will realign. That might be a good thing.

Last edited:

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
‘They’ve been following the science’: How the Covid-19 pandemic has been curtailed in Cherokee Nation

“It’s as if Russia had invaded the U.S. and the federal government said, ‘Every county should fend for itself,’”
That sounds like what Trump would do.

The problem with the idea of herd immunity is, a *lot* of people have to die to get to the immunity part (if ever).
We're not going to get herd immunity without vaccines, just like we haven't got it without vaccines for smallpox or any other disease.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
Except it's not just them who are at risk, but also their families, friends, neighbours, co-workers, and everyone else they encounter, who are all endangered by their reckless behaviour, as are the overstretched doctors and nurses, should they, or anyone they infect, become severely ill and place a further burden on overstretched public health facilities.
North Dakota, which currently has the highest rate of new COVID infections relative to population in the world, voted 2/3 for Trump. So all those people you mentioned are likely to also be right-wing. The other third are more likely to wear masks, social distance, and wash their hands. Cleansing a gene pool of idiocy, or any other trait, is a statistical matter. Some of the other people invariably die. That's regrettable.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Well yeah, a smart businessman knows when to cut his losses.
True, though I'm not sure that the behaviour of smart businessmen has much to do with Trump.

But yes, I suppose that he must reason that Biden will have to pick up the pieces eventually, and try to clear up the mess he's left.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
True, though I'm not sure that the behaviour of smart businessmen has much to do with Trump.

But yes, I suppose that he must reason that Biden will have to pick up the pieces eventually, and try to clear up the mess he's left.
Inb4 BIDEN FUCKED UP THE ECONOMY WITH COMMUNISM.

No, wait, that's not novel snark at all.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Some of England’s poorest areas face being trapped in coronavirus restrictions “permanently” unless the government tackles deep-rooted inequalities driving high transmission, according to a public health chief.

Prof Dominic Harrison, the director of public health at Blackburn with Darwen council, said the government’s “pointlessly punishing” approach would keep areas such as his under strict measures up to next summer.

He told the Guardian: “We do need the restrictions, but what we need is something that is going to be more effective, more helpful, less pointlessly punishing than continued controls that aren’t going to be effective, or that are unlikely to be effective in the medium term and cause continued and further economic damage.”