How COVID-19 is affecting society

Isabeau

Merdeuse
Of all the strangest Brit reactions to COVID-19...

It’s the same here in Montreal. Somehow, because our mayor has implemented more bike paths and such just to give alternative modes of transportation during the pandemic (reduce bus and metro users, etc) she’s been attacked by certain types. Strangely, many (most?) are also Covid deniers or think we are all exaggerating.

Explanations based on facts or science don’t seem to make them rethink. Anything associated with the “left” is wrong to them.

Wonder if it’s the same in other countries, states.

Pamela

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I don’t understand why only casual mention of the correlation between, for example, the Sturgis and Trump rallies and explosions of covid. It was horrifying watching them in progress knowing this would be the result.

Very lemming-like psychology.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Dr. Anthony Fauci on Monday stressed that he's concerned that the Trump administration has not yet greenlighted the formal transition to the incoming Biden administration, which the infectious disease expert said is key to the quick distribution of a Covid-19 vaccine.

In an interview on NBC's "TODAY" show, host Savannah Guthrie asked Fauci whether he's concerned that the Trump administration has not signed off on the formal transition period for the Biden team.

"Obviously, it's something that we're concerned about," he said. "I mean, as you know, I've served in six administrations, so I've seen a number of transitions and I know that transitions are very important. Hopefully, we'll see that soon."

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I don’t understand why only casual mention of the correlation between, for example, the Sturgis and Trump rallies and explosions of covid. It was horrifying watching them in progress knowing this would be the result.

Very lemming-like psychology.
Despite being a humanist and generally wanting the best for everyone, I see what's happening on the right as a necessary application of Clorox to the gene pool.

• 1Like
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Archer and Rose Karuna

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Despite being a humanist and generally wanting the best for everyone, I see what's happening on the right as a necessary application of Clorox to the gene pool.
Except it's not just them who are at risk, but also their families, friends, neighbours, co-workers, and everyone else they encounter, who are all endangered by their reckless behaviour, as are the overstretched doctors and nurses, should they, or anyone they infect, become severely ill and place a further burden on overstretched public health facilities.

Last edited:

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts

Jopsy Pendragon

Magic thrives within Intentionality
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
More like an application of gray water. It's knocking off only a few of the less tenuous among them, and it's fueling the unsanitary mental condition of the rest. :(

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Background -- one consequence of the resignation of Dominic Cummings as Boris Johnson's chief advisor is that his advice not to allow cabinet ministers to be interviewed by Piers Morgan has been rescinded.

Our Health Secretary, the hapless Matt Hancock ("Door" Matt, as the Guardian's John Crace once dubbed him), must already be wishing Dom was back.

If anyone's interested -- and it left me feeling sorry for the poor man --- here's the full interview

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer announced Sunday that her state of Michigan will begin three weeks of new restrictions to contain the spread of COVID-19. Infections of the novel coronavirus are spiking uncontrollably in my home state as they are from coast to coast.
Almost as soon as the governor’s news conference was finished, Dr. Scott Atlas — who has replaced top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci as President Donald Trump's most prominent adviser on the pandemic — tweeted, "The only way this stops is if people rise up. Atlas tried to walk back his tweet, saying he would "NEVER" endorse or incite violence.
But the president knows when he mentions “that woman from Michigan,” as he so lovingly once referred to her, she gets more death threats. And the same is likely true for his top associates like Atlas, a doctor who isn’t an epidemiologist but won Trump’s ear by championing “herd immunity” to COVID-19 — a strategy that could lead to hundreds of thousands of excess deaths in the United States.
If I thought it would matter at all, I’d be willing to beg our soon-to-be-former president to stop trying to get my governor killed. Beyond basic moral decency, we need her to help save the lives of my family and friends — largely because our president won’t. But I’ll save my droplets. If Trump cared about anything except disrupting reality to preserve his own power, we wouldn’t need to beg him to treat his fellow Americans like they’re actual human beings.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The problem with the idea of herd immunity is, a *lot* of people have to die to get to the immunity part (if ever).

Dr. Scott Atlas, President Donald Trump’s favorite COVID-19 adviser who opposes lockdowns and often espouses Trump-friendly beliefs on the pandemic, made an eyebrow-raising suggestion on Monday night regarding family gatherings on Thanksgiving.

During an interview on Fox News, Atlas bashed the notion of staying away from elderly relatives during the holiday to protect them from the virus.

“This kind of isolation is one of the unspoken tragedies of the elderly who are now being told don’t see your family at Thanksgiving,” the doctor told Fox News host Martha MacCallum. “For many people this is their final Thanksgiving, believe it or not. What are we doing here?”
He argued that “we want to protect the elderly, but we cannot lock down.”
"We want to protect the elderly, but even so we ain't gonna."

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
The problem with the idea of herd immunity is, a *lot* of people have to die to get to the immunity part (if ever).
“For many people this is their final Thanksgiving, believe it or not. What are we doing here?”
Some perhaps would die of natural causes, but this man will see to it that far more die, without it ever bothering his brain or conscience. He speaks of them being alone for one holiday as if it is life threatening as if dying an unnecessary horrid death alone caused by visiting infected relatives is preferential.

Last edited: