#BYEDON 2020 - The End Better Fucking Be Near

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
I don’t know much about former Senator Flake but he was remarkably likeable, candid and well spoken when interviewed by CBC radio today. I wish you had more like him. He talked about the election at first, but then about the topic of truth, and ending with the problem with his party and their relationship with Trump.

Here is the article, and if you can spare 6 minutes I recommend you listen to the embedded clip, at least from the 3:15 mark minute mark onward. From the 5 minute mark onwards probably the most candid or vulnerable I’ve heard a republican.

 
Last edited:

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I remember Flake as the guy lamenting about how terrible everything he voted for in the Senate was. Seems he's angling for that 2024 nomination. (Saw that coming.)

These far left:

And far right guys

Seem to agree on Flake's far right record. He got everything he ever masturbated over but resented the quiet parts loud.
 

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
I remember Flake as the guy lamenting about how terrible everything he voted for in the Senate was. Seems he's angling for that 2024 nomination. (Saw that coming.)

These far left:

And far right guys

Seem to agree on Flake's far right record. He got everything he ever masturbated over but resented the quiet parts loud.
That’s the most interesting part of the interview in my opinion. That even far right republicans can take issue with Trumps behaviour and the erosion of truth. I think that’s something that’s missing the days, in many countries, that we can fundamentally differ on policy and agendas, but agree there is a baseline of behaviour. Perhaps I’m hearing what I want to in what he said, but I still wish more republicans said it, and not just on Canadian radio. More every day Americans, who consider themselves Republicans, need to hear the separation in order for people to move forward.
 

detrius

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
2,664
Location
Land of bread, beer and BMW.
Joined SLU
09-30-2007
SLU Posts
10065
That’s the most interesting part of the interview in my opinion. That even far right republicans can take issue with Trumps behaviour and the erosion of truth. I think that’s something that’s missing the days, in many countries, that we can fundamentally differ on policy and agendas, but agree there is a baseline of behaviour. Perhaps I’m hearing what I want to in what he said, but I still wish more republicans said it, and not just on Canadian radio. More every day Americans, who consider themselves Republicans, need to hear the separation in order for people to move forward.
You're talking about pluralism.

I've noticed that I've never seen that term being used in political discussions here, back on SLU or other English-speaking discussion boards, which is weird to me because it's such a fundamental concept and essential for a free and democratic society.

It's rather telling that people need to say "I think that’s something that’s missing these days, in many countries, that we can fundamentally differ on policy and agendas, but agree there is a baseline of behaviour" instead of, for example "I think pluralism has declined in many countries".

This tells me that the concept is so radical and new, people subconsciously switch to a more descriptive phrasing rather than simply using the word.

Did you know the term? "Pluralism"?

And while I'm at it, what about "solidarity"? Are those words you hear when people talk about politics in your country?
 

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
I think my tolerance break point for these sorts of guys is, would he stuff a surpreme court full of Kavanaughs? If not, ugh, but okay.
I disagreed, so I thought I should explain why. I know it’s a tough crowd on VVO, especially considering recent events, but I still believe there is a difference between someone with whom I have political differences, even someone whose politics I detest, and some of Trumps talking heads. That aside though, my point wasn’t that Flake or any of the others who are speaking out should be tolerated, but that I wish more republicans would say some of what he is.

For me, I just knew that when I came time for me to run for re-election, I had to decide, you know, if I want to be successful, given the way our party is right now or has been, I would have to cozy up to the president and agree with certain policies that I couldn't agree with and condone behaviour I certainly couldn't condone. And I knew I'd have to stand on a campaign stage with him while he belittled my colleagues and made fun of minorities. I just couldn't do it.
 

Pancake

Fluffer
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
681
Location
Canada
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
SLU Posts
8642
You're talking about pluralism.

I've noticed that I've never seen that term being used in political discussions here, back on SLU or other English-speaking discussion boards, which is weird to me because it's such a fundamental concept and essential for a free and democratic society.

It's rather telling that people need to say "I think that’s something that’s missing these days, in many countries, that we can fundamentally differ on policy and agendas, but agree there is a baseline of behaviour" instead of, for example "I think pluralism has declined in many countries".

This tells me that the concept is so radical and new, people subconsciously switch to a more descriptive phrasing rather than simply using the word.

Did you know the term? "Pluralism"?

And while I'm at it, what about "solidarity"? Are those words you hear when people talk about politics in your country?
I have to say pluralism is not a term I hear often or have ever used. Once you said it, I knew instantly you were correct but it’s not the term that came to mind. If it’s used commonly in Canadian politics, I must be missing those conversations.

Solidarity is common for me, but used more in organized labour movements than broad stream politics.
 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
And while I'm at it, what about "solidarity"? Are those words you hear when people talk about politics in your country?
As Pancake just said, Solidarity has connotations in the Labour movement. I’ve been using it a lot more since COVID as I see social solidarity as the strongest defence against pandemic. Solidarity as a sense of belonging to and caring for those around us. Societies who have that, alongside scientific foundations, will fare better. I hope.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.