Confederate flag/statue banning thread

Sovereignty

SL Rez
Someone on FB was saying they should make minatures of these statues that people could put in their yards. I pointed out that 1) she lives in the middle of nowhere, so nobody except the cows would ever see it, and 2) I want a little statue scene of Lee surrendering to Grant at Appomattox.
Depends on how the scene is portrayed. Put tears in the eyes of Lee's soldiers and you play into the mythic pathos of the moment.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Bubba Balbozar

SL Rez
Good luck tearing down Mt. Rushmore, plenty of room up there for Trump! Communist professors and left leaning teachers don't mention the part about constant Indian attacks on the settlers, hanging babies from trees and Indians mutilating whole villages. Appears to me that the the natives were even more aggressive than the white man. Is it right that they were pushed from their lands? No, but consider that they pushed each other off their native lands too. One way or the other eventually the new world was going to be exploited. All of these stories about giving diseased blankets to the natives were before the US was its own country, spain did it in mexico and the british in north america. The natives were in a primitive state and not much they could do, had yet to even invent the wheel. I'm Ottawa Indian myself and just watched the liberal stunt where they used indians as a shield at Mt Rushmore, very offensive.

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
Looking at statues isn't, of course, the only way to learn about history.

Reading books is recommended too, or always used to be, and, since we don't actually have many statues of US Civil War generals from either side for me to look at in the UK, that's what I've been doing recently.

Over the last few weeks, I've been reading:

The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism by Edward E Baptist
Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America by Ibram X Kendi
The End of the Myth: From the Frontier to the Border Wall in the Mind of America by Greg Grandin
White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America by Nancy Isenberg

If Bubba (or anyone else, of course) would like to discuss any of them, I would welcome the opportunity.

It's really opened my eyes --I've never before realised what an essential role slavery played, right from the the late C15th onwards, in the original colonisation of America, the development of the US economy and society, the course of US and world history, and the world economy in general, with most of it done on credit issued by European banks like Barings and Rothschilds.

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
  • 1Like
Reactions: Ryanna Enfield

Rose Karuna

Always cooking something up
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Oh, the stupid, it BURNS 🔥🔥🔥

They not only spoofed them this fourth of July but they did the same thing in 2017.

The old saying; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, well, the stupid, it burns.

bubblesort

Don't they teach you anything in Russia? It's a National Park, so you can't do that. And nobody has suggested tearing it down besides you.
Well... to be fair, the Lakota have been wanting to blast those faces off Mt Rushmore since they were built. I'm inclined to let them do it.

At the same time, I kinda want to keep Rushmore around, just because it's so weird. I saw it a few years ago. It's a lot smaller than it looks in pictures, and they had this huge viewing area, that was packed full of tourists. It felt like the crowd at Disneyland. The statue is not just small, though, it's like... crude graffitti. The black hills are so majestic. Rushmore is near the needles, which is one of the most spectacular rock formations I've ever seen. So Rushmore ends up kinda being a weird, cheesy roadside attraction because it's sitting right next to all this grandeur. It's kinda the cheesy weirdo roadside attraction that America deserves, though.

I still think we should give it back to the Lakota. I'll just kinda miss it a little bit when we do, because it's weird.

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts

"Let's get together and burn flags in protest of thugs and animals in blue," the anonymous person behind a Facebook page called Left Behind USA wrote in mid-June. There would be antifa face paint, the person wrote, and organizers would "be giving away free small flags to children to safely throw into the fire."
LOL dang how far gone do you have to be to fall for this?

• 1ROFL
Reactions: NyteWytch

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Reluctantly

They not only spoofed them this fourth of July but they did the same thing in 2017.

The old saying; fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, well, the stupid, it burns.
Jello Biafra said:
As the noose of narco-militarism
Tightens 'round your necks
We worry about burning flags
And pee in jars at work
To keep our jobs

• 1Agree
Reactions: Rose Karuna