Police Brutality Protests Thread

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
7,936
Location
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
20780
Yet in the end these protests are doing far more harm than good. They are not hurting the racists one little bit by destroying their own communities.
Odds are good that the ones doing the destroying are alt-right in the first place. Certainly SOMEONE has co-opted the protests and turned them into riots.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
Odds are good that the ones doing the destroying are alt-right in the first place. Certainly SOMEONE has co-opted the protests and turned them into riots.
Well, I can't think why any of them would do this:


I've been there almost every year I go out to the Doctor Who con. Lovely, authentic pub or and operated by British expats. Real Brush food, proper high tea, a great little grocery/shop, and the staff is really nice. I feel really bad for them.
Looting them doesn't help get justice for George Floyd. It doesn't "teach anybody a lesson" or whatever the fuck there trying to do. It's just ruining a business, and what for?
 

Pamela

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Oct 7, 2018
Messages
1,515
Location
Austin
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2009
Well, I can't think why any of them would do this:


I've been there almost every year I go out to the Doctor Who con. Lovely, authentic pub or and operated by British expats. Real Brush food, proper high tea, a great little grocery/shop, and the staff is really nice. I feel really bad for them.
Looting them doesn't help get justice for George Floyd. It doesn't "teach anybody a lesson" or whatever the fuck there trying to do. It's just ruining a business, and what for?
Since these are the guys that are the ones crossing state lines, just what does he expect to happen from this pronouncement of his?
Some do it just to create chaos. Chaos is the goal. Putin’s and Bannon’s goal — Trump is just following orders. He is too stupid to bring down the country on his own.
 

Romana

The Timeless Child
Joined
Sep 21, 2018
Messages
5,097
SL Rez
2010
And here's a chaos agent---or a white supremacist ("why not both?")--who got caught.
Posted by a friend on FB:

 

Kamilah Hauptmann

Shitpost Sommelier
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
15,369
Location
Cat Country (Can't Stop Here)
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
Reluctantly
I think there are more productive things Canadians can do than this during a pandemic:


Like:
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: Archer

Roxie Marten

A member in good standing of the usual suspects
Joined
Mar 21, 2020
Messages
87
Location
USA
SL Rez
2004
Joined SLU
2008
Coming from the state with "That woman for Governor" I was pleased to see the people in Grand Rapids down town cleaning up the mess.
Helping the store owners. Ninja edit: Big Gretch is my Governor
 

Dakota Tebaldi

Well-known member
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
9,979
Location
Ohio
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
16791
This is just my personal opinion - it's speculative, I can't back it up I'll admit that right away. It's just what I'm seeing.

Yes, there are definitely SOME white people who are infiltrating the BLM protests and wanting them to turn violent because of an agenda. I think SOME of these guys are white supremacists, who want to provoke the crowd to violence to make black people look bad; I also think SOME of them are anarchist types who consciously want to hijack a BLM protest into a more generalized f-the-system down-with-capitalism thing. And as always in protests of this nature there are ununiformed cops who are trying to create an opportunity for their buddies to stomp protesters for "disrespecting" them. But....and this is just me...I don't think all of those people put together make up most of the white infiltrators that are causing damage and looting places.

I think most of them, are just...well, tourists, for lack of a better word. That's who I see when I look at MOST of the videos showing white individuals busting up things while the BLM protesters around them yell at them to stop. These are rich or upper-middle-class white kids who are simply there to engage in what they think is a fun activity. They don't have a political agenda. They're not being paid - they have disposable income and are well capable of buying a plane ticket or buying their own gas and driving to a protest. They may certainly have opinions one way or the other, but they're not really there because they support or oppose BLM. They're there because they saw a protest with a potential for violence on the news and thought "hey, let's go do that". Most of them clearly do their thing without caring whether the crowd around them is agitated or not, as you can see in the videos; those that do try to incite the crowd do so not with the aim of making the protesters look bad - they're not thinking that far ahead - but rather just because it's easier to break windows and tag walls and steal crap and not get caught or feel as guilty when a whole crowd is doing it around you.

Case in point? Jake Paul. You guys all heard by now, I assume, that during a spate of looting at a shopping mall in Scottsdale (or Phoenix, some place in Arizona) after a protest there, Paul took his camera and went and live-streamed running around the mall and hanging out with looters; he even took a liquor bottle. Right now he's getting serious backlash from the YouTuber community for it so he's making all kinds of excuses; but never mind that. Jake Paul is a freaking millionaire. He didn't go to the protests because he's legitimately angry about the treatment of black people; and he didn't go there to loot. Like his brother Logan (you'll remember him from the Japan "suicide forest" incident), Jake Paul has no agenda whatsoever outside of self-aggrandizement, which he converts into YouTube ad money. He went to the protest so that he could say he was there, pushed his way to the "front lines" as it were so that he could say he was pepper-sprayed with the protesters, and then went to the looted mall out of morbid curiosity. He was a tourist. Now okay, not all the white kids going up there to play "protester" for a few hours have YouTube channels, but they're there for the same reasons. "I was at the riot and I busted out a window lol I'm so bad yay me!"
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
You applied for a job as a police officer in New London, Connecticut?
No, but my point was intelligence is usually seen as a good thing. I have never run into a situation where it was a disqualifier, even for something like dishwashing.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289



I have friends listening to police scanners, and the rioting and looting has been less than a mile from where I live in every direction.
While the DC riots were about 2 miles to the south there was also an incident to my north. In addition to being involved in several protests that were coopted I also stand by this is outside agitators because quite a few african american students live in my building and nearby but no extra activity.
 

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,140
Location
SL: November RL: DC
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
23289
This is just my personal opinion - it's speculative, I can't back it up I'll admit that right away. It's just what I'm seeing.

Yes, there are definitely SOME white people who are infiltrating the BLM protests and wanting them to turn violent because of an agenda. I think SOME of these guys are white supremacists, who want to provoke the crowd to violence to make black people look bad; I also think SOME of them are anarchist types who consciously want to hijack a BLM protest into a more generalized f-the-system down-with-capitalism thing. And as always in protests of this nature there are ununiformed cops who are trying to create an opportunity for their buddies to stomp protesters for "disrespecting" them. But....and this is just me...I don't think all of those people put together make up most of the white infiltrators that are causing damage and looting places.

I think most of them, are just...well, tourists, for lack of a better word. That's who I see when I look at MOST of the videos showing white individuals busting up things while the BLM protesters around them yell at them to stop. These are rich or upper-middle-class white kids who are simply there to engage in what they think is a fun activity. They don't have a political agenda. They're not being paid - they have disposable income and are well capable of buying a plane ticket or buying their own gas and driving to a protest. They may certainly have opinions one way or the other, but they're not really there because they support or oppose BLM. They're there because they saw a protest with a potential for violence on the news and thought "hey, let's go do that". Most of them clearly do their thing without caring whether the crowd around them is agitated or not, as you can see in the videos; those that do try to incite the crowd do so not with the aim of making the protesters look bad - they're not thinking that far ahead - but rather just because it's easier to break windows and tag walls and steal crap and not get caught or feel as guilty when a whole crowd is doing it around you.

Case in point? Jake Paul. You guys all heard by now, I assume, that during a spate of looting at a shopping mall in Scottsdale (or Phoenix, some place in Arizona) after a protest there, Paul took his camera and went and live-streamed running around the mall and hanging out with looters; he even took a liquor bottle. Right now he's getting serious backlash from the YouTuber community for it so he's making all kinds of excuses; but never mind that. Jake Paul is a freaking millionaire. He didn't go to the protests because he's legitimately angry about the treatment of black people; and he didn't go there to loot. Like his brother Logan (you'll remember him from the Japan "suicide forest" incident), Jake Paul has no agenda whatsoever outside of self-aggrandizement, which he converts into YouTube ad money. He went to the protest so that he could say he was there, pushed his way to the "front lines" as it were so that he could say he was pepper-sprayed with the protesters, and then went to the looted mall out of morbid curiosity. He was a tourist. Now okay, not all the white kids going up there to play "protester" for a few hours have YouTube channels, but they're there for the same reasons. "I was at the riot and I busted out a window lol I'm so bad yay me!"
We saw the exact same thing during occupy. People had been protesting all day so by evening their judgement was not the greatest. In the evening outside agitators would wake up and basically steal the crowd. Unless you have been to a protest it sounds unbelievable but it does not take much to hijack a crowd that is tired into doing something they would not normally do.
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
No, but my point was intelligence is usually seen as a good thing. I have never run into a situation where it was a disqualifier, even for something like dishwashing.
Depends on the job, though, I would have thought -- if it's something for which they have to spend significant time and money training successful candidates, then, if they have more applications than they have vacancies, I can see why they would want to appoint people they expect will stay with them, rather than soon start looking for new jobs because they're bored.
 

Plurabelle Laszlo

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
164
SL Rez
2007
Joined SLU
2011
This is just my personal opinion - it's speculative, I can't back it up I'll admit that right away. It's just what I'm seeing.

Yes, there are definitely SOME white people who are infiltrating the BLM protests and wanting them to turn violent because of an agenda. I think SOME of these guys are white supremacists, who want to provoke the crowd to violence to make black people look bad; I also think SOME of them are anarchist types who consciously want to hijack a BLM protest into a more generalized f-the-system down-with-capitalism thing. And as always in protests of this nature there are ununiformed cops who are trying to create an opportunity for their buddies to stomp protesters for "disrespecting" them. But....and this is just me...I don't think all of those people put together make up most of the white infiltrators that are causing damage and looting places.

I think most of them, are just...well, tourists, for lack of a better word. That's who I see when I look at MOST of the videos showing white individuals busting up things while the BLM protesters around them yell at them to stop. These are rich or upper-middle-class white kids who are simply there to engage in what they think is a fun activity. They don't have a political agenda. They're not being paid - they have disposable income and are well capable of buying a plane ticket or buying their own gas and driving to a protest. They may certainly have opinions one way or the other, but they're not really there because they support or oppose BLM. They're there because they saw a protest with a potential for violence on the news and thought "hey, let's go do that". Most of them clearly do their thing without caring whether the crowd around them is agitated or not, as you can see in the videos; those that do try to incite the crowd do so not with the aim of making the protesters look bad - they're not thinking that far ahead - but rather just because it's easier to break windows and tag walls and steal crap and not get caught or feel as guilty when a whole crowd is doing it around you.

Case in point? Jake Paul. You guys all heard by now, I assume, that during a spate of looting at a shopping mall in Scottsdale (or Phoenix, some place in Arizona) after a protest there, Paul took his camera and went and live-streamed running around the mall and hanging out with looters; he even took a liquor bottle. Right now he's getting serious backlash from the YouTuber community for it so he's making all kinds of excuses; but never mind that. Jake Paul is a freaking millionaire. He didn't go to the protests because he's legitimately angry about the treatment of black people; and he didn't go there to loot. Like his brother Logan (you'll remember him from the Japan "suicide forest" incident), Jake Paul has no agenda whatsoever outside of self-aggrandizement, which he converts into YouTube ad money. He went to the protest so that he could say he was there, pushed his way to the "front lines" as it were so that he could say he was pepper-sprayed with the protesters, and then went to the looted mall out of morbid curiosity. He was a tourist. Now okay, not all the white kids going up there to play "protester" for a few hours have YouTube channels, but they're there for the same reasons. "I was at the riot and I busted out a window lol I'm so bad yay me!"
I think your theory sounds about right. I can only speak from my own experiences with much much tamer riots in Europe, of course.
Riots are uncontrollable, that is part of the phenomenon. The initial protest might be organized, and people might try their best to give out guidelines and draw lines; actually even the most radical left usually does that. But there is no way to really control what will happen, and a wide variety of people will take part and do their own thing.

There -are- people who think 'violence against objects' is generally justified when you fight 'the system'. -Some- (in my experience not the majority) of them won't differentiate between small business and big businesses, between social institutions and institutions of the executive or legislative. Some of them don't understand that looting does not equal expropriation. To some of them maximum chaos is the goal, be it to achieve maximum attention, maximum confrontation with the cops, or simply maximum damage to get their point across.

Some of them who are middle or upperclass, especially of the younger generation, simply don't comprehend that they are destroying people's lives. They dream of an alternative society, have the financial means to live a 'bohemian' life, and kind of assume that everybody could do that.

Another big factor is simply - rage. People get out of control when agitated. Especially when they are scared. And rightfully upset. This is why deescalation would be so important. Instead police forces often keep provoking. This is sometimes intended, sometimes a sign of incompetence, often both.

Agents provocateurs always have been a thing, and obviously they are a real danger now. They will do anything to discredit the protests, and some of them won't care if people get hurt or even die.

And yes, last but by far not least there is a rather big group of people who don't join in because of 'the cause' or because they feel solidarity.

There are the marginalized who will take the opportunity to get that iphone or TV they always wanted. There are those whose lives are really so fucked up that they go berserk when they have the opportunity to 'strike back'. There are drunks or drugged people who will do stupid things. And there are a lot of excited, often testosterone driven youth (not exclusively youth though, I have seen fifty-something daddy-types burning random cars) who feel it's an adventure and somehow cool.

From my experience these are not necessarily only rich kids, though. I personally know some of the teenagers who were looting at the G20 riots - they came from various financial backgrounds. They were celebrating an insane day, they didn't really know what it all was about, they just thought it's cool to get a stash of free booze from the liquor store they destroyed (on a positive note: Some of them discussed the incident later and might even have learned from the experience). And for some it was indeed those 15 minutes of fame, they took selfies and uploaded videos in front of burning barricades. The 'riot-hipster' is not photoshopped (and I have to admit, I still find him insanely funny):



As I said, the riots I have seen were tame compared to what is going on in the US now. But there is a lot of frustration and a lot of unarticulated rage simmering in our societies, and in an uncontrollable situation like a riot it will break out. Some people will show their best side and become heroes who protect others, and others will show their worst.
 

Rose Karuna

Childless Crazy Cat Lady
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 24, 2018
Messages
2,490
Location
Central Florida
SL Rez
2005
Joined SLU
2007
Are you for fucking real? I can't even with people anymore.

Listen up, Snorkelpotamus, it IS about race. This whole thing started because a black man (knowingly or unknowingly) passed a forged check or something, and the cops literally grinned as they beat him senseless and leaned on his throat till he died, and then leaned on him some more. Cops kill black people for shit anyone else would get a slap on the wrist for. It is absolutely racially charged.

Quite a lot of the people causing trouble are not black, oddly enough. And the fucking cops are out of control, firing rubber bullets into people's faces. They aren't supposed to aim that high, yet here we are. One noted photographic journalist lost her eye last night.

I'm sitting here praying for sanity, and seriously envying Bob and Doug on the SpaceX Dragon, because at least they got to leave this planet.
It's even worse than this - it wasn't a forged check, it was a counterfeit $20 dollar bill. It is VERY probable that he didn't even know it was counterfeit, some counterfeits are so good that even banks have difficulty knowing.

Generally what happens is that the person is notified that the note is counterfeit, the note is confiscated and the local department of treasury or secret service is called, not the local police. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that a man was murdered in cold blood by people who are supposed to be protecting society, for any reason, let alone something so benign as a counterfeit bill. I can't watch the video without truly feeling nausea. I'm seeing it in my sleep and I know it's going to happen to someone else again. That's the horror of it. :cry:
 

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
24,428
SLU Posts
18459
It's even worse than this - it wasn't a forged check, it was a counterfeit $20 dollar bill. It is VERY probable that he didn't even know it was counterfeit, some counterfeits are so good that even banks have difficulty knowing.

Generally what happens is that the person is notified that the note is counterfeit, the note is confiscated and the local department of treasury or secret service is called, not the local police. I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that a man was murdered in cold blood by people who are supposed to be protecting society, for any reason, let alone something so benign as a counterfeit bill. I can't watch the video without truly feeling nausea. I'm seeing it in my sleep and I know it's going to happen to someone else again. That's the horror of it. :cry:
A friend of mine, years ago, was given a fake $20 bill when she cashed in her winnings at a Las Vegas casino.

She discovered this only on returning to the UK, when she tried to exchange her remaining dollars for sterling at her bank.

When the teller told her it was a forgery, she asked him to return it to her, so she could frame it and hang in the loo, as a souvenir of her holiday, which he did.

Clearly this wasn't the approved procedure, since the police turned up on her doorstep the next day, to confiscate it and explain it's illegal knowingly to possess forged currency.

No one was injured during the episode, much less killed, and no riots started as a result.
 

Noodles

The sequel will probably be better.
Joined
Sep 20, 2018
Messages
6,461
Location
Illinois
SL Rez
2006
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
6947
I think you guys are right about the idea of outsiders trying to stoke things to violent. Couple this with people on social media pushing the idea that these are "Violent Left Extremist Riots" and not protests as well as part of creating discord.