I've always liked the idea of actually owning stuff like music and such. I've amassed a collection of about six thousand MP3s over the years, that I buy from Google or Amazon, or ripped from my CD collection. I don't really buy CDs anymore.
Before Amazon started selling unprotected MP3's, you used to only be able to buy music in protected .m4p or .wma formats. You were free to play them as often as you wanted, even offline, though you had to "register" your device every so often or the music would stop playing. But if the service where you bought the songs shut down, all your bought music would go bye-bye. For that reason, I never went that route. I guess for that reason, I'm not big on the idea of letting a subscription service replace and become my library.
I do like streaming services like Pandora, iheartradio, and TuneIn though. I like the radio concept where you don't know what's going to play next, and you might discover new songs you really like (and then go purchase off of Amazon). I listen to that a lot.
I just checked: 11.000+ mp3's on my HD.

And that is exactly what makes you swim in circles IMHO. I have been listening for years and years to my favorites from the 60s 70s and 80s, straight from my HD. Very little exploring new music.
Now I use Spotify, I feel like I'm in a record shop with the chance to listen to all kinds of music and the shop keeper doesn't mind that I put record after record on his turntable.
I discovered more new to me artists in the last few months then I did in the last decade or so.
One example: Free posted a song from Frazey Ford a few days ago on VVO. I liked it, went to Spotify searched her, read about her, found out she is member of a band too, and now I've listened to a few great albums from her and her band. That would never have happened without a streaming service.
Some streaming services may disappear over the years, but the record industry is far to deep committed to them, that will not stop.
Streaming is the new business model. CD's hardly sell anymore (compared to what it used to be).
"Stereo installation? What's that? Something from dads youth, or grandpa's?"
The youth only streams. So that is the direction things are heading to.