All things Linux

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
I just thought that starting up a little series of explanatory posts and other stuff about Linux might be some fun, so here we go!

Let's start with the source of it all, the benevolent dicator for life and master of desaster: Linus Torvalds!

So what exactly is Linux? Linux is an open source software operating system kernel licensed under the General Public License v2 (GPL2) from the Free Software Foundation (FSF). Linux is a so called UNIX clone, meaning that it was written from scratch. The GPL is a so called copyleft license, meaning you are free to do whatever you want to with the source code, but if you change something and use it in your commercial products you must contribute back those code portions.

This is the biggest difference to FreeBSD, which indeed derives from the original AT&T UNIX and has a different license, the BSD license. The BSD license says take so code, do whatever you want with it and if you want to keep your changes - that's perfectly find. You can share them, but you don't have to. So this type of license does more appeal to many companies which want to keep their secret sauce closed.

The other difference is that Linux is just the kernel, while FreeBSD is a kernel plus all utilities in userland. This is why most Linux distributions are using large parts of the GNU project for it, which in the 90s led to a discussion by the FSF which insisted that it should not be just called Linux, but GNU/Linux since Linux heavily relies on it. So if you want to use Linux on your computer then you've got to build your applications around it, while FreeBSD comes already with all bells and whistles included.

That's why distributions in Linux are a thing; a distribution is a package of software built around the Linux kernel so that you are able to use it. There are many distributions around, one of the oldest still maintained is Slackware by Patrick Volkerding, Debian, Redhat and OpenSuSE. Later desktop based and userfriendly distributions like Ubuntu became a thing, which put Linux further into mass usage.

Linux is being used on embedded systems, computers, smartphones and tablets (Android) up to high performance computing. In fact the world of supercomputers nowadays is being ruled by Linux with a market share of over 90%. So in short Linux is everyhwere.

Linux started 1991 as hobby project by then computer sciences student Linus Torvalds to write a MINIX clone on his computer, which he named after himself Linux and soon gained quite much momentum and very fast became big. It was in many companies a "under the hood thing", which replaced Windows servers with shelf parts if budget constraints became a thing to keep the stuff running. Microsoft in 1998 developed a FUD strategy against Linux, because it was seen as serious upcoming competitor. Nowadays Microsoft is one of the biggest contributors to the Linux kernel development, running large parts of their own Azure cloud on Linux, maintaining an own Linux distribution as well and even shipping Windows 10 with a bundled Linux kernel for its Linux subsystem. More so, Microsoft in the last years adopted the source code repository management system git, also developed by Linus Torvalds, for its development purposes and migrated the whole Windows source code repository (size > 300 GB) to it successfully. That's how times are changing...

Linus Torvalds hailed from Finland, but is a member of the Swedish minority living there and nowadays an American citizen. Other well known software projects from him are git, which nowadays has the monopoly on source code repositories, and subsurface, a software to log and plan scuba dives, which he wrote since scuba diving is a big hobby of him.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Linux used to be fun. One could easily start a flame war on Usenet in the good old days. Windows vs Linux.
But these days almost everybody is convinced of Windows being far superior.
So that fun is long gone now.

• 1lolwut?
Reactions: Fionalein

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
We thought Linus was an evil dictator and then along came the Poettering...
Let me put it that way: Linus is no evil dictator. Yes, from time to time he can get quite opinionated and flame bad code to pieces, but it is the code he flames not the people. You can never be the leader of such a project as big as the Linux kernel for years without pissing off some people now and then.

Lennart Poettering, who is employed by RedHat Inc. - so now basically IBM - works on a different area, namely the userland mostly. So his area of influence and code base is much smaller.

So Linus and Lennart normally don't have much reason to deal with each other. Rest assured though when it happens the kernel developers normally are quite fed up with the lack of quality of the code produced by Lennart Poettering, e.g. here: Linux-Kernel Archive: Re: kdbus: to merge or not to merge?

The thing is that systemd was not created without reason; before it came into existence Ubuntu had its own replacement stuff, upstart. Apple created launchd for its macOS, Sun is using something called SMF on Solaris, and so on and on. Not all stuff about systemd is bad; but its featuritis for sure is. The init wars are over and systemd has won so far, like it or not.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
And now let's move on with the show...

When talking about Linux the normal user does really mean a Linux distribution. A Linux distribution is what enables him to use it as operating system for whichever desired purpose. Since there is no standardized distrbution there is a plethora of distributions a user can choose between.

Each distribution has different project goals and quirks, so which distribution might fit your specific need depends on what you want to do.

Here's now an incomplete list of well known, major distrubitions of Linux and their target audience/quirks:

Debian
Debian is a democratic community project, run entirely by volunteers. Founded in 1993, it is one of the oldest distributions still around. It's major audience are administrators setting up servers. Debian follows a loose release cycle and strongly favors stability over being up-to-date, which caters administrator's needs. The downside of this approach though is that some times in the past the time between two major releases was more than three years, and sometimes packages are compiled with really weird configuration settings.

Since there are tons of howtos around about it and you are planning to setup your own server for different tasks, Debian is a good choice both for beginners and advanced administrators if you don't care about having a desktop much.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux
The main audience of Red Hat Enterprise Linux are companies, which require a certified Linux environment, long term support and updates. Many proprietary software packages, like Oracle databases, are certified to run under Redhat Linux.

Red Hat Inc. was the first pure open source company ever which reached a gross revenue above of one billion US$. Nowadays Red Hatthough is fully owned by IBM, which though retained the brand.

Fedora
Fedora is a community driven variation of Red Hat Linux for normal users, mostly desktops. It follows a strice release cycle, and overall a major focus is the desktop. Fedora also follows six month release cycle.

OpenSuse

OpenSuse is a distribution with roots in Germany and mainly used in Europe. Its main target were corporate environments, and it was the main competitor to Red Hat in many areas. OpenSuse is the open community playground for the commercial product, which can be tailored to whichever intended use.

Ubuntu Linux
Ubuntu - or Linux for humans - was the first distribution which was specifically targeted at newbies and people who switched over from Windows. It's main goal was to provide an easy to use environment with one program each for a common task, like word processing or emails installed out of the box. It also has one of the best driver supports overall. Ubuntu also made a six month release cycle popular.

It made the concept of running a fully featured Linux from a Live CD popular to test drive it first and install it later.

Ubuntu Linux itself is a heavily modified fork of Debian, and probably still the best choice for beginners.

There are many other distributions out there as well, but those are the major ones you will definitely hear about most.

Last edited:

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
You forgot to mention Arch. I'm guessing said users would be organizing torch rallies for you right now. :) As you might remember from a thread I created long ago, I've piddled about with any number of distros. I've learned throughout the process that desktop environment doesn't particularly mean much, though many new users are drawn to this or that one based upon the environment, which is easily changeable.

I did eventually end up settling, more or less, in noob-friendly arch distros, like Manjaro, ArcoLinux and the fairly new Salient OS, mainly because I loathe having to add PPA's whenever I want to install my chosen apps and I'm not a particular fan of snaps or even flatpaks and because, as a rule, they make changing your kernel easy as can be and have a much wider package repository (especially if you are willing to use the AUR).

I have considered piddling a bit with Fedora, due to rpm, but haven't as of yet.

Last edited:
  • 1Agree
Reactions: Spirits Rising

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
I just thought that starting up a little series of explanatory posts and other stuff about Linux might be some fun, so here we go!

Let's start with the source of it all, the benevolent dicator for life and master of desaster: Linus Torvalds!

So what exactly is Linux? Linux is an open source software operating system kernel licensed under the General Public License v2 (GPL2) from the Free Software Foundation (FSF). Linux is a so called UNIX clone, meaning that it was written from scratch. The GPL is a so called copyleft license, meaning you are free to do whatever you want to with the source code, but if you change something and use it in your commercial products you must contribute back those code portions.

This is the biggest difference to FreeBSD, which indeed derives from the original AT&T UNIX and has a different license, the BSD license. The BSD license says take so code, do whatever you want with it and if you want to keep your changes - that's perfectly find. You can share them, but you don't have to. So this type of license does more appeal to many companies which want to keep their secret sauce closed.

The other difference is that Linux is just the kernel, while FreeBSD is a kernel plus all utilities in userland. This is why most Linux distributions are using large parts of the GNU project for it, which in the 90s led to a discussion by the FSF which insisted that it should not be just called Linux, but GNU/Linux since Linux heavily relies on it. So if you want to use Linux on your computer then you've got to build your applications around it, while FreeBSD comes already with all bells and whistles included.

That's why distributions in Linux are a thing; a distribution is a package of software built around the Linux kernel so that you are able to use it. There are many distributions around, one of the oldest still maintained is Slackware by Patrick Volkerding, Debian, Redhat and OpenSuSE. Later desktop based and userfriendly distributions like Ubuntu became a thing, which put Linux further into mass usage.

Linux is being used on embedded systems, computers, smartphones and tablets (Android) up to high performance computing. In fact the world of supercomputers nowadays is being ruled by Linux with a market share of over 90%. So in short Linux is everyhwere.

Linux started 1991 as hobby project by then computer sciences student Linus Torvalds to write a MINIX clone on his computer, which he named after himself Linux and soon gained quite much momentum and very fast became big. It was in many companies a "under the hood thing", which replaced Windows servers with shelf parts if budget constraints became a thing to keep the stuff running. Microsoft in 1998 developed a FUD strategy against Linux, because it was seen as serious upcoming competitor. Nowadays Microsoft is one of the biggest contributors to the Linux kernel development, running large parts of their own Azure cloud on Linux, maintaining an own Linux distribution as well and even shipping Windows 10 with a bundled Linux kernel for its Linux subsystem. More so, Microsoft in the last years adopted the source code repository management system git, also developed by Linus Torvalds, for its development purposes and migrated the whole Windows source code repository (size > 300 GB) to it successfully. That's how times are changing...

Linus Torvalds hailed from Finland, but is a member of the Swedish minority living there and nowadays an American citizen. Other well known software projects from him are git, which nowadays has the monopoly on source code repositories, and subsurface, a software to log and plan scuba dives, which he wrote since scuba diving is a big hobby of him.
Well, we forgive that Swedish streak! A lot of good tech from Finland: irc, nokia phones (so phone tossing became a thing), a few good phone games.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Linux used to be fun. One could easily start a flame war on Usenet in the good old days. Windows vs Linux.
I remain a holdout.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Kali Linux! Kali Linux!

• 1Gross
Reactions: Free

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
You forgot to mention Arch. I'm guessing said users would be organizing torch rallies for you right now. :) As you might remember from a thread I created long ago, I've piddled about with any number of distros. I've learned throughout the process that desktop environment doesn't particularly mean much, though many new users are drawn to this or that one based upon the environment, which is easily changeable.

I did eventually end up settling, more or less, in noob-friendly arch distros, like Manjaro, ArcoLinux and the fairly new Salient OS, mainly because I loathe having to add PPA's whenever I want to install my chosen apps and I'm not a particular fan of snaps or even flatpaks and because, as a rule, they make changing your kernel easy as can be and have a much wider package repository (especially if you are willing to use the AUR).

I have considered piddling a bit with Fedora, due to rpm, but haven't as of yet.
No, I did not forget Arch - I left it out intentionally. My intention was not to give a complete list of Linux distributions, but to list some of the most well known distributions which are not based on others as rough starting points, like e.g. Mint Linux on Ubuntu. So I cut some corners.

Arch Linux runs on my Raspberry Pi 4 and is quite nice if you want to have a binary based rolling release distribution. It is for sure though targeted at atvanced users, because the installation process is all but user friendly. If rolling release is your intention of course it is one of the suitable alternatives.

My advise is quite simple:
  • if you want to learn and master the server aspect of Linux use Debian.
  • If you are new to Linux and want a well supported, userfriendly and easy desktop based distribution use Ubuntu.
  • If you are not of the faint of the heart and really want to know which parts make a Linux distribution tick use Linux from scratch.

Last edited:
  • 1Thanks
Reactions: Jolene Benoir

Ashiri

√(-1)
SL Rez
SLU Posts
Currently got Ubuntu and Kali in VMs. Will get around to GhostBSD and FreeBSD once I finish messing with some mesh.
Ran the following at various times: Slackware with Elightenment, openSuse, Ubuntu.

Jolene Benoir

Hello World
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2010
Currently got Ubuntu and Kali in VMs. Will get around to GhostBSD and FreeBSD once I finish messing with some mesh.
Ran the following at various times: Slackware with Elightenment, openSuse, Ubuntu.
I piddled about with the most recent Ubuntu and found, happily, that the latest gnome 3.36 seems to run better and faster.

I'm currently checking out a fair number in virtualbox, though I have been having some trouble with the latest version having flickering if I enable 3d acceleration.

In any event one that has my interest is AntiX. It allows creation of a persistent USB stick among some of its other features, such as not using systemd. It is among one of the lightest distros that I've tried, coming in at around 256mb ram. I'm sure there are many others that are similarly lightweight. I just haven't gotten around to trying them.

I'm also playing about with some wm's. Not sure yet if they are my cup of tea. I'd imagine those would be something you'd have to use regularly to learn them and make full usage of them in order to maximize workflow.

Bartholomew Gallacher

SL Rez
Email clients under Linux
As first category of programs I'd like to discuss so called mail user agents (MUA), or in short mail programs/email clients. The most well known MUAs are Microsoft Outlook (which does not run on Linux) and Mozilla Thunderbird.

This category will not include web based mail services like Gmail from Google or Hotmail from Microsoft, because these are operating system independent.

Why would you want to run a mail program on Linux compared to Microsoft Windows? One word: security! Since most malware attachments are tailored to the Windows operating system and Linux is a different thing internally those will simply not run on Linux. This does not mean it is impossible completely, but the barrier an attacker has to take is much, much higher.

So if you want/need enhanced security in running email Linux is your friend because of the enhanced security it comes builtin out of the box. You also might be interested in the various concepts those clients to implement which might be different to the usual main stream. Since email is for many despite all odds a bread and butter tool they use on a daily base it makes quite much sense to tackle this.

First I am going to cover some console based clients, which tend to be more minimalistic in appearance and light weight - but nevertheless just do their job. Actually some people still prefer to do most of their work on a console, because it keeps their mind more focused to the task and it is less cluttered than a desktop. So taking a look at some of these programs mind be very interesting for some to see what's possible on the console, where email also originally came from.

Second I am going to cover some graphical based clients, where also many are available on Linux.

Last edited:

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
How did you get kali on a vm? I tried to put it on parallels and it did not go well. That never happens.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Almost everything I do in Linux is in Ubuntu or Rasbian. I have Kali and Ubuntu Mint along with Windows on my Laptop. I added Manjaro recently to learn something new but it doesn't want to boot up and just seems to hand at the machine logo. Mostly I just have not poked at it enough to fix it.

I would run just Linux but In can't get my phone tethering to work and that's how I get online with my personal laptop at work. I did run only Ubuntu on my old machine with my old phone.

Last edited:

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
I have never really gotten into the Windows vs. Linux flame wars, but I still have fun with Linux. My laptop has both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 19.3. Guess which OS I run the most? I'm not sure what makes Linux so fun to use; it just is.

Katheryne Helendale

🐱 Kitty Queen 🐱
SL Rez
Joined SLU
October 2009
SLU Posts
There are many other distributions out there as well, but those are the major ones you will definitely hear about most.
What about SUSE/OpenSuse? I ran OpenSuse for a while because they were among the first distros to use Gnome 3 as its gnome desktop, and I wanted to try it out. It was a good distro, but its community, and hence its knowledgebase, is largely KDE-centered. After a while, I moved to Mint to see what Cinnamon had to offer, and have been on it since.