LL hit a hardware limit.

Andi

Luskwood Staff
SL Rez
Joined SLU
11-04-2010
SLU Posts
I am actually amazed they actually hit a hardware limit, oz say's they have backup spares, but wow. I know they downgraded years back and moved to the one data center out in Arizona, but I figured they had lots of unused equipment, but seem SL got popular again and well now they are lacking hardware to deploy sims on, if I'm reading it right

Dakota Tebaldi

VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Joined SLU
02-22-2008
SLU Posts
That IS pretty amazing. I kind of anticipated more traffic as a result of this stuff but I didn't imagine it would be THAT much more.

• 1Like
Reactions: Benjamin Opel

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
I totally can understand that they will not go into more hardware.
This is a temporary bubble.
In my opinion, the longer the pandemic continues, the more people will become tighter with their cash for economic reasons and have to give up land.

If the lab was better in promoting SL, this story would be a great opportunity to hype SL a bit in the gaming scene.
Just compare it with the TP market. Shortage sells what is left available.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
By the way, I'm not being flippant. This time.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
To the Cloud!
I still wonder when the clouds will burst. Because IMHO they are far from a perfect solution for most cases. Once the infrastructure of the winners of the war for the cloud is in place and agressive marketing ends economists will wonder why they decided on a service that is far more expensive and performant than anything they could have done themselves - of course by then long term service contracts will be effective and starting everything from scratch with your own hardware will be considered a huge investment... And why bother? The increase in price can just be handed down to the consumer.

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I still wonder whem the clouds will burst. Because IMHO they are far from a perfect solution for most cases. Once the infrastructure of the winners of the war for the cloud is in place and agressive marketing ends economists will wonder why they decided on a service that is far more expensive and performant than anything they could have done themselves - of course by then long term service contracts will be effective and starting everything from scratch with your own hardware will be considered a huge investment... And why bother? The increase in price can just be handed down to the consumer.

Until then...TO THE CLOUDS.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Let them buy mainland....
Definitely.

On a kindly related note. Surely LL has some data about Mainland use. I wonder if they could somehow, Forcibly consolidate, for lack of a better term, some of that land. To open up larger areas for people to use. I hate to say it, but I really wonder how much mainland is occupied by people who bought lifetime accounts and have not even logged in in 10+ years.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I thought they migrated their hosting to Amazon or something. Can't they spin up on demand servers?

• 1Like
Reactions: CronoCloud Creeggan

Free

sapiens gratis
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
I thought they migrated their hosting to Amazon or something. Can't they spin up on demand servers?
They're working on that. Some of their services are already "in the cloud," including the asset database.

• 1Like

Govi

Crazy woman yells at clouds
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Let them buy mainland....
I think that they're trying. I've very recently been contacted by someone wanting to buy my mainland plot. It's the first such contact in about 10 years or more. I'm in no mood to sell though.

• 1Like

Khamon

Folk Harpist
SL Rez
Joined SLU
On a kindly related note. Surely LL has some data about Mainland use. I wonder if they could somehow, Forcibly consolidate, for lack of a better term, some of that land. To open up larger areas for people to use. I hate to say it, but I really wonder how much mainland is occupied by people who bought lifetime accounts and have not even logged in in 10+ years.
Wholly agree with some Mainland consolidation and converting those available sim slots into private regions. There are contiguous tracts of Mainland abandoned, for auction, and for sale (LL would have to print some lindens and purchase the for sale land) that meet the criteria. I doubt that many square meters, compared to the size of Mainland, are held by life accounts though the number would be interesting to see. Remember that we only had the San Francisco and Color sims (~60) on The Grid All Hail The Central Grid when life accounts were sold and they only owned a portion of those at the time.

• 1Agree

EmpressOfCommunism

Feted Inner Collective Farmer <3
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
This looks like it might give the economy a little boost particularly for mainland. I have definitely noticed a lot more little green dots on the maps of all the continents and a few formerly empty mainland infohubs are now overflowing with people without any other hubs being abandoned. This must be a little bit like what it was in the old days.

• 1Like

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
This looks like it might give the economy a little boost particularly for mainland. I have definitely noticed a lot more little green dots on the maps of all the continents and a few formerly empty mainland infohubs are now overflowing with people without any other hubs being abandoned. This must be a little bit like what it was in the old days.
People still use infoHUBs? Is it 2007 retro weekend or what?

Sid

Time for another coffee.
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
There are still a lot of private land plots available too.
I was on the look out for some new private land last weeks. Almost every sim has multiple plots from 2024 upwards available.
I didn't had to fight to get a new seaside plot. :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
When I first read the title my brain interpreted it as they had used a sixteen bit index for regions or something dumb like that. No, they actually literally ran out of hardware.

I was wondering if they were actually moving regions to the cloud. I figured it would be the hardest part, since the regions are already basically a private proprietary cloud.

And so far I guess they haven't figured it out yet.