What Virtual Worlds Are You Spending Time In?

BrigMcD

Virtually Here
SL Rez
Joined SLU
10/24/2007
SLU Posts
SL is the only virtual world that I spend time in. I do play a few MMOs, mainly BDO, TERA and WoW.

• 1Like
Reactions: Brenda Archer

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
Mostly Sinespace. It's a bit of a learning curve and the interface feels a bit unfinished to me, but I think I'm actually enjoying feeling like a newb again and it seems to perform fairly well. Even when I had the settings far too high for my cranky old computer it never crashed though I could hardly move, but when I moved the settings down it performed great and I like the look of most of what I see there.

Got a new(er) computer recently so I tried out Sansar. The few places I explored looked great but wasn't impressed with the avatars and the interface felt really clumsy. Probably not spending much time there.

I've greatly reduced my time in Second Life, feeling burned out on it though I'll probably always keep at least a small parcel of roadside land.

After InWorldz self destructed I thought I was going to settle onto DigiWorldz, but I think my SL burnout extends to Opensims in general. I was impressed with Butch Arnold back when I was trying out 3rd Rock Grid and when I heard he started DigiWorldz I had to give it a try. Been impressed how with how the place is run though I've logged in infrequently.

Last edited:

Bea McMahon

Sister Jazz
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Only SL. That keeps me quite occupied.

Lewis Luminos

The Gingerbeard Man
SL Rez
Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Only SL. WoW lost me at Draenor, and I visited Sansar once; just long enough to decide that it was pretty but intensely boring.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
The main difference is that there are no griefers, and I have yet to see anyone wandering around with a freenis hanging out.

(I think I got griefed twice in - what was it, 8 years? - in Inworldz, and never yet in OpenSim worlds.)
I was griefed in late 2011, there was a guy hopping around the hypergrid using some old script to drop balls all over the place. They'd get stuck in the "void" area and you would have to get rid of them manually.

The first year I ran Avatarfest (2015) we had someone "grief" on voice; but to be honest I think that falls more into the "asshole" category rather than the "greifer" one.

...that's the totality of my griefer experience on the hypergrid *touches wood*
Of course, you're not limited to shopping on any one grid. Hell, I can even buy things and bring them back to the grid I run at home.

BTW, building on your own home grid can be very productive due to the lack of distractions.
You can bring freebies back with you from almost anywhere -depending on the permissions set.

For actual "shopping" (paying money for things) I've had good experiences with the kitely market, I was able to get things sent to my accounts on 3rdrockgrid and hypergrid.org. That requires paypal, however.

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Aside from Second Life, what other virtual worlds are you spending time in? I have recently started exploring sinespace and Sansar, but most of my time is spent in MMOs and open world games.
1)Second Life
2)Metropolis Grid / Hypergrid.org
3)Infiniti Grid

Playing Chancellor in SL and simultaneously organizing the final Avatarfest while fucked up from sleep apnea has left me really fucking burned out ...as a result I'm spending more time offline, TBQH.

I'm sure after I've gotten rest I'll be more active :heart:

• 1Hug

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
What is the content selection like on other grids? I think that would be the thing that would hold me back. I am very particular about my avatar. It's one of the reasons sinespace is frustrating me - I can't seem to make an avatar I like.

Daffy

Mostly i'm in Osgrid or Metropolis, i run on both grids some regions on a single home PC. In jan 2009 i landed in OSgrid
and started a simulator connected to that grid, first 4 regions, later a few more.
Before that i made a visit to a grid with the name "openlife " , the owner had the name Sakai and is from Australia.
I think openlife and osgrid started both in 2007, and in those days the grids were visited by linden lab people, and
also land barons from sl were there in the very beginning.
There were plans to connect SL and Opensim in 2007, but those plans were later canceled.
The content on opensim based grids is pretty much like it is in SL, in the first days of opensim a app named "second inventory"
was used by creators and landbarons to move other their content.

Also there is a lot of content from people like linda kellie , see zadaroo.com , and well , also Arcadia Asylum seems to have
found opensim and is now present there.
A good source for content is also the website from Ferd Frederix , Tutorials, free scripts, mesh and tools for Second Life™ and Open Sim
But of course bigger grids have shops , and kitely has a marketplace where creators can sell their goodies, with or without
export options to other grids.
Selling content with export options means that people living on other hypergrid enabled grids can buy it there, and have
it delivered at their home grid.
So, when you create a kitely account, log in to their marketplace and buy items there, then the items can be delivered to a avatar
living on Metropolis or Osgrid or other hypergrid enabled grids and mini grids.

Knutz Scorpio

SL Rez
Joined SLU
02-15-2014
On SL it took me years to develop an avatar I was satisfied with, but on opensims I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not going to find the male avatar that's to my tastes. Guess that attitude has carried over into Sinespace where I have just shrugged and settled into a default avatar and concentrated on other aspects of the grid.

Tracer

Other differences between SL and the open metaverse is that there's much less advertising out here, and since land is so much cheaper, more people have their own region(s).

• 1Like

RyanSchultz

Social VR/Virtual Worlds Blogger
The social VR spaces/virtual worlds/metaverse platforms on which I spend the most time are:

1. Second Life
2. Sansar
3. High Fidelity
4. Sinespace
5. VRChat

But I also have made user accounts to investigate many, many other platforms. Here's my complete list of all the virtual worlds I have viisted at least once (it includes a few MMOs/MMORPGs too): List of Social VR/Virtual Worlds

• 1Like

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Other differences between SL and the open metaverse is that there's much less advertising out here, and since land is so much cheaper, more people have their own region(s).
I would disagree with that. There's less inworld advertising, but the G+ groups have had far more adverts (for events, for products and ...yes... for hosting or rentals) than they have actual discussion.

Daffy made some great points and I can't think of anything I'd add to that, except to point out that there's the "Ruth 2" project to make an open source mesh avatar with huds. The G+ page can be found here, and the github (where you download it from) can be found here.

That said, no ...Opensim will not scratch the fashionista itch, it won't even come close. It's a lot more limited in terms of choice. It's vastly improved since I joined 8 years ago but it's still pretty sparse. I hardly change looks in SL, so I don't mind it too much in Opensim (hell, for the longest time ...like years... I went around in the same outfit in opensim)

• 1Thanks

Misty Harley

Coffee. That is all.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
at some point long long ago
What is the content selection like on other grids? I think that would be the thing that would hold me back. I am very particular about my avatar. It's one of the reasons sinespace is frustrating me - I can't seem to make an avatar I like.

I'm on Infiniti because I'm helping to build it up as a co founder. If things ever slow down, I'll pop back in to SL to get my picture taking fix.

As for content...I use Kitely market a lot for most landscaping products that I buy since I'm time crunched AND not the best builder in the world. They do have a lot of things to buy for landscaping regions (as was as builder packs too) And Kitely Market allows their creators to choose to keep it just for sale to those IN the kitely grid or they can offer export when allows it to go to other grids. and it goes through Paypal, which is another thing I like. Plus there is gloebits, but I haven't used that much. It's like a universal money system for all of Open Sim/Hypergrid. So your money follows you and isn't tied to any one grid directly. (podex too but not familiar with them or how many creators use them on various grids)

As for Avatar...there is stuff out there. It's not always easy to find though because as Han said, it seems like the Fashionista thing is more active in SL. It makes me sad because it is hard to find things I prefer which isn't super common within the OS community that I've found (yet anyway).

The Ruth 2.0 Mesh Body is something even I want to try. Hyacinth Jewell has been working tirelessly on it and I've been told it's super amazing. Its the mesh body/head and when I first tried it, I didn't like it but I think that's because it was passed to me in confusing parts and pieces and I'm a simpleton when it comes to these things. So I'm looking forward to trying her latest release.

Hair, there is a few creators out there legit, I'm not logged in so can't pull names but if you look up Kitely Market, you can see a few (although I didn't look into guy hair myself). I wish we had more though...I love me some good hair.

One of the things I like but was wary of at first was the whole Hypergrid thing. But it's actually pretty cool. You can hop around to all different grids and places (sorta like Teleporting in SL) and buy things...they go to your inventory and then you slide it up to suitcase before you leave that grid and you get to take it to your home grid with you (if you forget to slide it into your suitcase, you can't bring it back with you). I like that part because it means more shopping options then just whatever is on your home grid (as long as the home grid is hypergrid enabled).

I actually suprised myself with liking the hypergrid community. I didn't think I would because I 'grew up' in closed gardens like SL and IW. I have found that it's really no less safe or scary then any other place else. Sometimes it's hard to find things I prefer for my avatar but also as Han said...I have also noticed a difference in the amount of stuff from years and years ago when I visited OS versus now. A lot of choices there but sometimes, you do have search around for them.

Oh and since I totally forgot this existed...you can look at this OS page OpenSimWorld and it shows you some of the stuff and sims, lands and such that out there. Search let's you refine it a bit too.

Sunshine Carami

No Dude, am not new...just another lurker
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Dec 2008
SLU Posts
they go to your inventory and then you slide it up to suitcase before you leave that grid and you get to take it to your home grid with you (if you forget to slide it into your suitcase, you can't bring it back with you).
In the several HG enabled grids I've visited, the items I've purchased in other grids are automatically placed into "My Suitcase". It's a manual process in Infiniti?

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
In the several HG enabled grids I've visited, the items I've purchased in other grids are automatically placed into "My Suitcase". It's a manual process in Infiniti?
In most grids, as far as I'm aware of. It's the default behavior. The only grid that doesn't do that which I can think of is metro, and possibly 3rdrockgrid.

One thing about the suitcase? The more you have in it, the more you can lag out regions you visit -because the simulator has to load all the stuff on your avatar AND IN YOUR SUITCASE so it's a good practice to move stuff you get out of there and only leave in things you know you're going to use on your travels.

Misty Harley

Coffee. That is all.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
at some point long long ago
Ooh I didn't know that about the suitcase and I really don't know about the infiniti question if it's a requirement. I was just told to always move my off grid purchases and freebie grabs to my suitcase so it travels with me. So I do it.

When I head in world this week, I'll have to slide a bunch of stuff out of my suitcase. Thanks for the heads up Han!

• 1Like
Reactions: Han Held

Han Held

Joined SLU
SLU Posts
Ooh I didn't know that about the suitcase and I really don't know about the infiniti question if it's a requirement. I was just told to always move my off grid purchases and freebie grabs to my suitcase so it travels with me. So I do it.

When I head in world this week, I'll have to slide a bunch of stuff out of my suitcase. Thanks for the heads up Han!
NP! As a general rule if you're not gonna need it on your travels, it's a good idea to move things to your regular inventory. Shapes, avatar parts, hair, clothes that you might want to wear being the exception, of course.

For the most part you can copy stuff from your regular inventory to your suitcase if you need it (like for sharing or wearing). :)

Chin Rey

Lag fighter
SL Rez
Second Life the hypergrid and occasionally TAG. I have accounts on several HG grids but usually I end up using one of my two OSG alts there.

I've tried Sansar, High Fidelity and IMVU. I haven't completely written off Sansar yet, I'll give them five years and see what they can come up with. The other two I'm not even remotely interested in.

Fauve Aeon

🌽🐍Mostly Jellicle...🐍🌽
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Not sure of date/postcount
SL, but we’ve had an estate in Kitely for a while now, I’m just slow. I’m waiting to visit Sansar still, I want to be wow’d, but it’s not wow-worthy yet for me to want to go. I think hifi is kind of ugly. I used to play IMVU but it didn’t really click for me despite having several fun and well-visited rooms. I might try it again in 2019. I’m registered for sinespace but I have not gone yet.