hulu Veronica Mars Officially Revived

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The nice thing is, I bet they can keep getting most of the cast back. A lot of them don't seem to have super busy careers.
Speaking of, did you know that the actor who played Duncan Kane left acting altogether and is a lawyer?

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Speaking of, did you know that the actor who played Duncan Kane left acting altogether and is a lawyer?
I hadn't heard that. I always wonder if there are a lot of actors that end up doing non acting jobs when their careers don't take off.

danielravennest

SLU Posts
I hadn't heard that. I always wonder if there are a lot of actors that end up doing non acting jobs when their careers don't take off.
After the original Star Trek series ended, Shatner was reduced to living in the back of his truck and doing acting gigs on the road.

Hollywood is full of people doing other jobs while trying to get into acting, so much so it has become a cliche. It's a classic supply and demand problem. There's way more people who want to get into the field than there are openings. The same is true of sports and astronauts.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, speaking of other gigs, I caught part of an old Lie to Me episode and there was Logan, in the episode. I have never really watched any of this show either, which was funny.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I've finished Season 2.

I though I was right about the the Mayor and Beaver but I was thinking the Mayor did it to cover up, not Beaver.

Rolling into S2, I forget almost everything about the Dean plot but I do remember
The rapist is the radio guy and is being helped by the RA

One thing that's kind of fun is how much the social commentary of this show really works for today. The whole rich vs poor is really played up and feels extra relevant these days. Also the social issues are definitely a slightly older era. Like how there are gay students but none are particularly open. There have also been a couple of transgender characters, though one was a hooker hired for a joke, so not really much of a character.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I will probably mention it again if it comes up, but that article about Duncan mentioned books that I didn't know about. They are available on Kindle.

I only mention this though because often, when a show or movie comes out, and it has a related book, Amazon will put that kindle book on sale the day of. So it may be worth looking into on the day Season 4 comes out, for a potential deal.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Trifina

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Man, I forgot about Lamb dying. That guy was a douche but he really didn't deserve that and I felt bad for him. Despite treating the Mars pair like crap and being mostly inept, when presented with an alternative theory or evidence, he actually was generally quick to act on it when it was actually backed up by provable facts.

He wasn't a great investigator, but he was an alright cop.

Still not quite to Season 4 yet. I had been sort of pacing for the original drop date, not a week early.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Still not quite to Season 4 yet. I had been sort of pacing for the original drop date, not a week early.
Try to avoid reading about season 4 at all if you can - there's a pretty big spoiler about how it ends.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Try to avoid reading about season 4 at all if you can - there's a pretty big spoiler about how it ends.
Yeah, I poked into the Veronica Mars subreddit for the S3 thread and then realized that I should leave. I managed to avoid spoilers thankfully.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
So I tried to look up the original series, and it's listed on Hulu with an HBO addon, but I can't find it on HBO, where I'm already subscribed. It's on Amazon, but it would cost to watch. Any tips on how exactly I could get the backstory?

Or can I watch the new Hulu version without missing anything essential? I'm confused as to whether this is a reboot for the entire story, or a continuation just on another outlet.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
The Veronica Mars movie is on HBO - that was the 2014 stand alone film. All seasons of the original series, along with the new 8 episode 4th season, are on Hulu. I don't think it's necessary to watch all three of the previous seasons. There are references to the past but you would be fine just starting the new season, as it is very much a stand alone story.

• 1Thanks
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, this is a bit of vague memory and probably speculation, but during the original run, I was working at a CW station. I wanna say that for whatever reason, it came down to them keeping Gillmore Girls, or Veronica Mars. They chose Gilmore Girls.

I mostly remember this because after Veronica Mars got cancelled, Alexis Bledel announced that she wanted to quit Gilmore Girls to do movies. So Gilmore Girls got cancelled anyway. I have always been super salty about that. Especially since Alexis Bledel's movie career never really went anywhere. So she effectively killed two shows over nothing.

Cristiano

Cosmos Betraying Fiend
Admin
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Nov 2003
SLU Posts
Well, admittedly, season 3 was pretty lackluster compared to the first two - instead of a main overarching storyline it seemed like there were 4 mini ones, and it got tiring after awhile. The finale was also incredibly meh compared to the first two. I am happy to report that season 4 holds up to the quality of the first two seasons (including a twisty and powerful ending).

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
Alright, I am caught up and ready for Season 4.

Also, I don't know if it comes up in S4, something I noticed rewatching the movie this round. Spoilers, since the movie is newer than the old seasons.

So, that subplot about the corrupt cops went nowhere. Sacks felt like he died for nothing. There were some vague points about Veronica and Logan making the tape of Lamb being a dick but there wasn't any real other explanation about why the cops were running people out of certain parts of town or who was "behind" it. I don't know if they planned to have that in there and it got cut or they ran out of time, or maybe they hoped to do a sequel film or what.

Also, after watching the series then the movie, the movie in general just felt, kind of really weak. Like it was more of an excuse to say "look, it's all these characters you remember" more than tell a compelling story. And aside from Gia, all of the villains group were nobodies, which was disappointing. Also Lamb's brother pulled out of nowhere. It's like someone wrote the script, then they went to bring in Lamb and then someone (maybe the original Lamb) was like "Yeah, my character died, or did you forget?". So they pulled in Jerry Oconnel and said "ok, you are Dan not Don, let's just go with it."

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So I am a couple of episodes in on Season 4 now. The first episode felt really wandering, but I think the idea was to sort of set up some of the secondary folks for the season.

I kind of don't like so far how Wallace and Mac are basically non existent. I guess it makes sense that Veronica isn't constantly paling around with friends now that she is an adult.

There is definitely a bit more sex and swearing than the old show, since it's Hulu now, but they didn't go overboard with it.

Holy crap that cold open return of Dick. "Oh hey, is that Dick? He looks funny with that beard... WTF?! Oh... Hah, that's great ..." Honestly, he doesn't DO much, but I have always found Dick kind of interesting. He is almost always close to "the killer" for the season arcs in some way but never involved or even aware. He's kind of a jerk, but it's more in a clueless way as he kind of feels like he means well. Also when rewatching, it was funny seeing him as a nobody background character at first. I remember saying "Hey, Dick finally got a name" after he had showed up like a dozen times unnamed. It kind of reminds me of Santana and Brittany in Glee, who were literally just background characters to Quinn in Season 1, then by the end were basically the main cast stars.

I have no idea where things are going to go. I kind of wonder how the Cartel (or whatever) guys will play into this, since they seem to be working towards the same goal of finding the bomber, just, considerably more violent about it.

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
So, I have some episodes to go but I am going to throw out my predictions.
So, VM has a history of pulling the who dunnit out of it's ass at the last second. So in that sense, it's not J Jameson and Big D, too obvious. I am thinking, it's the jerk guy on the computer screen in the Murderheads (Don I think), or the Congress guy's brother.