Updated my Macbook Air to Mojave, now my SL is one big lagfest.

Sep 20, 2018
Somewhere Purple, Germany
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
Has LL said if they are going to add Metal support for the Mac client? I can't imagine at this stage of SL's lifecycle they would want to put in the effort to completely replace the graphics subsystem just for Mac.
I highly doubt it, yeah. While I would love a general change from OpenGL to Vulcan (And in a few years we might have third party GL-to-vulcan easy to include libraries thankfully..), I don't think LL will touch SL's GL renderer's innards much. It would be nice! But I doubt they'll do it.

Sean Gorham

Verti's Minion
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
Sep 19, 2018
SL Rez
Joined SLU
2007-09-27
SLU Posts
OpenGL was a good idea in 2004 - not so much nowadays.

Sep 20, 2018
Somewhere Purple, Germany
Joined SLU
Dec 2007
SLU Posts
OpenGL is still quite fine.
The 2016 Doom uses OpenGL (And later got a Vulcan patch as well), and it's one helluva fast and pretty game. SL uses a quite old implementation of it tho by now, and doesn't really make use of several features it should be using. A move to Vulcan however, or at least parallel support for it, would be neat.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
Sep 20, 2018
Coonspiracy Central, Noonkkot
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
OpenGL, DirectX, and whatever API metal uses under the hood *, they're all just different front-ends to the same rendering engine on the video card, and have the same functionality. Apple has up to now implemented an OpenGL shim that makes up for shortcomings in videocard implementations, which is probably getting expensive to maintain, and since they're Apple rather than going "we no longer optimize OpenGL for you, you need to test against all video cards for yourself now" they decided to break *everyone* equally instead.

* I rather suspect that Metal uses OpenGL internally rather than DirectX.

Elissia

Sep 24, 2018
I upgraded to Mojave on my desktop about a month or so ago and haven’t experienced any problems running SL, well, except for occasionable freezes, but I kinda assumed that was par for the course for SL. I do run my desktop via WiFi so that might have something to do with the freezes too but overall it’s worked fairly steady for me.

A caveat - When I’m online, though, it’s usually on my main avatar (a creator of sorts) and I’m usually up in my workshop so the lag issue probably doesn’t factor in much.

So basically, my post is about a month too late and really not much use at all! :freakout: