WTF LOL! The great Belli circle jerk aka. Patch Linden ruins Halloween

Noodles

☑️
SL Rez
Joined SLU
04-28-2010
SLU Posts
I don't know, but I didn't really see anything about the Treat buckets or the HUD that would use Experience. You place the bucket, it does a date check to see if it's in the date range. You wear the HUD. Touch the bucket, it sends a message on a channel, the HUD incriment your HUD.

I suppose there would need to be something more complex to track if you had touched a particular bucket or not.

NeoBokrug Elytis

Thread Reaper
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sept 2007
SLU Posts
For the purposes of this reply, I am just going to keep assuming LL is using the KVP instead of an external database. It makes the most sense.

The experience system is a disaster.
Really? Why? Everything seems to work fine for me and I really appreciate the things they keep adding to it, like EEP and forced sits.

Are experience components not stored in another database? Are they stuffed into the asshat farm along with everything else? I wonder that they don't store them in a sim's local database like they used to manage user logins and online status.
Experiences are more than just what is happening on a single region. The KVP has dedicated a dedicated server(s) for experiences to write and read to. Regarding the KVP - it can be accessed anywhere that allows it. It's no SQL, but as long as you design how your keys are set up, you can do many complex cool things.

I don't know, but I didn't really see anything about the Treat buckets or the HUD that would use Experience. You place the bucket, it does a date check to see if it's in the date range. You wear the HUD. Touch the bucket, it sends a message on a channel, the HUD incriment your HUD.

I suppose there would need to be something more complex to track if you had touched a particular bucket or not.
Off the top of my head:
  • Keeping track of one bucket per account across dozens of regions.
  • Keeping track of who clicked what.
  • What happens if you lose your HUD? KVP keeps score across any HUD you equip.
  • A single script memory is 64k, and I can see a lot of issues trying process and store hundreds of user buckets and UUIDs. Without an external source to store this information it wouldn't be possible.
  • The KVP or database they're using is essential to the project for many reasons.
---- ---- ----

Before I start on this, and before you pile on me -- just know that I am equally critical of LL as I am supportive of LL. So when I think they deserve praise like they do here, I'll say it.

I didn't have time to enjoy this because I was working on my own Experiences powered quest for The Wastelands (I hope to make a video about it later). But I read all about it, and watched their video about it. I think it was super nice for LL to make something for people to just enjoy around Halloween. The only requirement for living in Belli is if you wanted to rez a candy bucket. There were no requirements to participate, literally anyone could go from home to home to trick or treat. Newbies, oldbies, payment info on file, or free account; whatever it's a free fun thing. It encourages people to explore the continent, and more than likely run into each other and talk about SL things.

I think they could have done a better job with how the rewards are sent out, and I am sure they'll learn from this experience for future events. But even if you did play you STILL got something just for participating. Events like this are far more than just the reward, it's about community.

p.s. I've had my own resident hosted trick-or-treat system in The Wastelands for a few years now and people enjoy it.

Argent Stonecutter

Emergency Mustelid Hologram
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Sep 2009
SLU Posts
Really? Why? Everything seems to work fine for me and I really appreciate the things they keep adding to it, like EEP and forced sits.
They have things like forced sits and forced attach in it that are potentially dangerous, so they have to tightly restrict who gets to use it, but they also have things that shouldn't require any exceptional permissions, like a key-value database and teleports that shouldn't be part of the system.

Fionalein

an old grumpy cat
SL Rez
Events like this are far more than just the reward, it's about community.
If that's what it was about: How is it not an utter desaster then?
  • the competition part impeded the spark of community that might have been
  • LL had to finecomb the DB for cheating and remove counts of multi baskets by same owner rezzed in other parcels
  • almost no one put candy out
At least they succeed in the posted goal: to show us the nature of the Belli community... :kittyball:

A fine "community" they got over there.

PS: Compare Belli Trick or Treat with succesfull Halloween community events like SL Haunted Places or Free Bird's Live Trick or Treating, both organized by private individuals

Last edited:
  • 1Disagree
Reactions: NeoBokrug Elytis

WolfEyes

Well known member no one knows
SL Rez
Joined SLU
I think one tiny important detail is being overlooked.

The prize was awarded to the person who GAVE OUT the most candy. NOT the person who TOOK the most candy. So they don't have to track across regions as the buckets they are tracing do NOT move! They remain on the parcel the person is tricking or treating. They are not tracking the buckets people carry around with them they are tracking the candy bowls people set out.

CronoCloud Creeggan

Redheaded
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
07-25-2012
SLU Posts
If that's what it was about: How is it not an utter desaster then?
  • the competition part impeded the spark of community that might have been
  • LL had to finecomb the DB for cheating and remove counts of multi baskets by same owner rezzed in other parcels
  • almost no one put candy out
At least they succeed in the posted goal: to show us the nature of the Belli community... :kittyball:

A fine "community" they got over there.
There was no real competition, people were sharing lists of locations.
You could only rez the basket on the parcel of a Linden Home you owned. Meaning one per premium account. While I do know of Bellisserian with multiple accounts so that they can have homes in multiple themes, I don't think that would affect the final counts that much.
There were plenty of baskets out, over 1000.

Not only that but people were wearing costumes and some TP'd around in small groups. I encountered pretty much the same people while TPing around, we chatted in local. And there was plenty of chat in the Bellisserian community groups. Also people were chatting about how people were decorating their homes and outfits.

What exactly is your beef with Bellisserians? You seem to have an axe to grind.

• 1Like
Reactions: Noodles