network The Good Place Renewed For Season 4

Myficals

Nein!
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Feb 2010
SLU Posts
After the moderately unsatisfactory ending to Game of Thrones, I'm nervous about finales.
I don't think it's unfair to say, that unlike Benioff and Weiss, Michael Schur seems to have a solid understanding of what he's doing and a respect for the story that runs deeper than "wouldn't that be awesome!"

• 1Like
Reactions: Beebo Brink

Kara Spengler

Queer OccupyE9 Sluni-Goon, any/all pronouns
SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
After Chidi's revival episode, the show is on break until January, then resumes with the final four episodes. I'm chewing my nails, thinking "Please, please, please don't fork this ending up."

After the moderately unsatisfactory ending to Game of Thrones, I'm nervous about finales.
Yeah, right now people are already dreading such one-time hits as the last star wars film of a 9-movie story. It seems like off-the-wall stories are doing better.

Beebo Brink

Climate Apocalypse Alarmist
SL Rez
Okay, I am watching the Janets as I type this. She is a damn good actress.
That episode was brilliant. There are so many good episodes to choose from, but that one is my hands-down favorite of the series.

During the hiatus I started binge-watching my way through Season 1 and 2 while I wait for the Season 4 conclusion. I just finished the Trolley Problem, which stands out, too. I should be able to finish off Season 3 during my Christmas vacations.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
That episode was brilliant. There are so many good episodes to choose from, but that one is my hands-down favorite of the series.

During the hiatus I started binge-watching my way through Season 1 and 2 while I wait for the Season 4 conclusion. I just finished the Trolley Problem, which stands out, too. I should be able to finish off Season 3 during my Christmas vacations.
Originally I was not watching it but when visiting relatives they convinced us to try it. We watched a few eps of season 1 there, went back to the hotel and bought/downloaded seasons 1 and 2, then the next day finished the season 1 binge.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I also highly recommend The Good Place podcast (which now has about 50 episodes) that interviews key cast and crew members associated with each episode. The series is hosted by Marc Evan Jackson (who plays Shawn), who does a wonderful job of being both an insider and fanboy of the series.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
We're close to the end of the series, and I'm still pondering the events of the past few episodes. One of the reasons I watch this show over (and over and over) again is that it makes more sense at each viewing. It's so densely packed with meaning, with jokes, with tie-in references to previous episodes/seasons, that the first viewing feels like I'm just barely hanging on for the ride.

The first time through Season 3, I was lukewarm about it. When I reached it the second time, after rewatching Seasons 1 & 2, I absolutely loved it. What had seemed somewhat chaotic and unfocused to me was magically transformed into a riveting narrative with a strong forward momentum. This show is really best watched in long gulps, so you can properly appreciate the connections being forged.

I can't wait for Season 4 to be over, so I can go back and binge-watch for that more satisfying experience.

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Up up and away .....

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
Given that we have a few episodes left, there's probably at least one complication left to come.

• 1Agree

Veritable Quandry

Specializing in derails and train wrecks.
SL Rez
Joined SLU
20something
SLU Posts
Remember that spoilers land you in the Bad Place.

• 1Pie

Kara Spengler

SL Rez
Joined SLU
December, 2008
SLU Posts
Given that we have a few episodes left, there's probably at least one complication left to come.
That will be in the last ep if they are true to form.

Ann Launay

Crumpet Khaleesi
SL Rez
Joined SLU
Aug 2007
SLU Posts
This is speculation, but it's based on events of the last episode, so to escape Veritable's wrath....
With the Good Place up ahead, one adage comes to mind: "Be careful what you wish for."
I kind of wondered if they'd all - including Michael and Janet - end up back on Earth. I don't really trust Vicky to stick to the plan either.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
More speculation than spoiler, but read at your own peril:
I kind of wondered if they'd all - including Michael and Janet - end up back on Earth. I don't really trust Vicky to stick to the plan either.
They've done Earth already, and it's not like Mike Shur to tread old ground. Also, Vicky's storyline really felt solid and satisfying, rather than a red herring. I'm more intrigued by the crumb trail they've laid out for the Good Place committee, which is just about the most useless batch of idiots you could imagine.

I smell a rat.

I'm suspicious of just how fatuous they are, since the narrative about the Bad Place has always been more nuanced. Maybe Bad Demons are just inherently more interesting and fun, but just how Good can the Good Place be when it's run by sycophantic imbeciles? Maybe team Cockroach's next challenge will be completely remaking the Good Place into somewhere you'd really like to spend eternity, because so far I haven't seen the appeal.

Beebo Brink

SL Rez
I called it! Just saying,
I'm suspicious of just how fatuous they are, since the narrative about the Bad Place has always been more nuanced. Maybe Bad Demons are just inherently more interesting and fun, but just how Good can the Good Place be when it's run by sycophantic imbeciles? Maybe team Cockroach's next challenge will be completely remaking the Good Place into somewhere you'd really like to spend eternity, because so far I haven't seen the appeal.
And then on to the final episode, which I absolutely loved!
So packed with Easter Eggs, cameos and references to earlier episodes. Randomly, in no particular order, also not all my original thoughts, since I've been reading the Reddit forum for The Good Place.

* Each of the characters ended their existence being exactly who they were supposed to be when they first arrived in fake Good Place. Jason truly became an enlightened monk, Tahani a benefactor/organizer wanting to better the world, Chidi a philosopher of depth and decisiveness, and Eleanor a self-less advocate for human rights.

* During his (fake) Retirement Party, Michael was bummed that he would never live long enough to get a rewards card or say "Take it sleazy." In the final scene of the series -- thanks to the a spark of Eleanor's essence -- the human Michael Realman gets a rewards card and the opportunity to utter "Take it sleazy."

* Human Michael named his dog Jason. Jason always called everyone "dog." Seems fair.

* Yay Doug Forcett, Pillboi, Glenn, the Al-Jamil family, and the magical Panda serving drinks.

* Boo not having more Simone and Brent