The Catholic Church Should Burn

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
Judaism doesn't have a concept of heaven or hell, nor repentance. Rather, God handed Moses the rules to follow, and he passed them on to the 12 tribes of Israel. The Israelites were the "chosen people" and had a special relationship with God, but that relationship was God saved them from slavery in Egypt and led them to the Promised Land. In return they worship the one God, and follow his rules. What you do with a sinner is stone them, or whatever other punishment is laid out in in the Torah (five books of Moses, which are the first five books of the Old Testament). Modern Jews mostly let the State handle punishment, which are much less severe.
Certainly in London, and I think I remember reading about similar cases in New York, particular Hassidic communities have come under severe criticism for the way the local rabbinical authorities have handled similar cases -- transferring rabbinical students accused of abuse to other cities, for example, rather than encouraging the parents to report the matter to the police (indeed, actually discouraging them from involving law enforcement).

As I keep saying, I don't think this is particularly to do with the teachings and practices of particular religions and sects. It's more to do with how power relationships work out in insular communities with a strong hierarchical structure.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I've mentioned widespread abuse in the state-run Children's homes in the area where I'm originally from. A former resident describes her experiences in one:

Warning -- the report is distressing enough for anyone, and doubtless particularly so for any survivors of sexual abuse who may be reading this.

No particular religious connections in this case -- just an abusive environment of the kind that was able to flourish before the authorities started taking the victims' complaints seriously, this time in a wholly secular institution.

Last edited:

Innula Zenovka

Nasty Brit
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SLU Posts
I'd not seen this before. I remember seeing their bus quite regularly up until a couple of years ago, along with one of their mobile soup-kitchens for feeding homeless people that used to park up quite near where I live.

Though, in the interests of fairness, I should add that not even hierarchical, authoritarian organisations that believe not in God but in dialectical materialism are necessarily free of this kind of behaviour

I'm sure this is more to do with particular sorts of men finding that, given a position of power and authority in a particular kind of organisation, they can get away with pretty much whatever they want to than it is to do with any beliefs on which that organisation is founded.

Last edited:

Free

Kamilah is stalking me
VVO Supporter 🍦🎈👾❤
SL Rez
Joined SLU
May 2009
SLU Posts